Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powertank vs onboard air?

anyone with experience of two cents to throw in? I want to end the search for a gas station to air up after wheeling!!!! Powertank seems like an easier more portable option but there's the refilling and it isn't much cheaper than a good on board Viair system that would provide endless compressed air source for tires and tools etc... although it's a case of installing and figuring out a good location to mount the tank???

would appreciate input from anyone with experience on either system

thanx

I chose Viair because it is smaller and easy to install. You never have to worry about refilling the Powertank or finding a secure place for the Powertank on the Jeep. My Viair has been awesome. It might take a little bit longer to air up than the Powertank, but having my space & endless air available were more valuable to me.

Mine is actually installed on the floor board of the rear passenger with the hose connector on my roll bar next to the front passenger seat. The hose sits nicely beside the seat on the floor. It is easily accessible to all 4 tires and I never I have to lift my hood!!

Comment

Yeah I am leaning that way for sure....which kit did you get?

Comment

I have no clue. I think its the Viair 400C air compressor. I still don't have a tank for it, but even without the tank, it fills up all 4 tires from 12 psi to 28 psi in about 30 mins.

Comment

I have a little $60 compressor I used that works pretty darn good for the money. I have no illusions that it's of the same caliber as a Viair. Had an o-ring in the air hose get split, and since I fixed it, I am again impressed with it.

When I see one of those $600 off road air tanks, I can't help but to feel that someone is insulting my intelligence. I think that's a rip off. You could get a nice carbon fiber SCBA tank for that much. You can buy a filled 20# CO2 cylinder at any welding gas supply place for about $130 or less. I think HF's 20# is like $80 empty and you can fill it for $30. Put whatever regulator you like on it. Just make sure that the main valve is always protected from being broken off.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post

When I see one of those $600 off road air tanks, I can't help but to feel that someone is insulting my intelligence. I think that's a rip off.
            I don't about your intelligence, but they're most assuredly insulting your wallet.

You could get a nice carbon fiber SCBA tank for that much. You can buy a filled 20# CO2 cylinder at any welding gas supply place for about $130 or less. I think HF's 20# is like $80 empty and you can fill it for $30. Put whatever regulator you like on it. Just make sure that the main valve is always protected from being broken off.
            Yep, we've been running generic Co2 set-ups for years and wouldn't do it any other way.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
              I don't [COLOR="Green"]know[/COLOR] about your intelligence, but they're most assuredly insulting your wallet.
              Fixed.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

I have the Viair 400C setup and have been happy with it. Takes a few minutes per tire to fill up at the end of the day. I have the compressor under the hood with some brackets I made to mount it where the AC compressor would be if I had it. The tank is under the driver's side next to the driveshaft- opposite the muffler.

Compressor:

Tank:

"The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I have a belt-driven York F210 compressor that has been working like a champ for 8-9 years that I bought used for $30 for in a junkyard. With all the parts I bought to make it work including a mounting kit, air tank, fittings, etc. I have under $300 into it. The only thing it has needed in all those years was a new drive belt (it runs off a dual pulley mounted on the alternator) which finally failed last year.

It puts out more than enough air to refill all four of my 35" tires from 8 psi to 26 psi in about five minutes total, plus it runs air tools without problem.

C02 tanks are great too, plus they are portable which means you can take them to people in need. However, I'm pretty happy with my York-based OBA system, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. That it has a 100% duty cycle like a C02 tank does and cheap electric compressors don't is icing on the cake.
                  Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-25-10, 12:01 AM.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

i like my cheapo pumps. i did have one break a flutter valve once but i think its because i filled all four of my friends 37" to 35 psi after i did my tires and the pump was on for a much longer period then its sopposed to be. heres a good site with reviews

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm

id say the bigger the tires the more the speed of co2 would be nice but also a 30 minute run to fill a tank every week might make waiting for a compressor seem tolirable.

most guys i know run the MV-50 but i got this one recently and its a shade faster, but not much
                    http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...sor/Detail.bok
                    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

any good compressor with 100% duty cycle is going to cost some $, but then again, I dont think I would want to wait 30 min to air up 4 tires.
                      I mounted a Kilby on board air about 3 yrs ago, and love it, one of best mods to my Jeep. reliable and fast.
                      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

The CJ7 that I have for sale (hint) has a York compressor with a 2 1/2 gallon tank. Have had it on for probably ten years. Only have had to replace the pulley bearing. I think I paid $5 for the compressor at a garage sale! Of course you have to spend more to fully install. The key is to build a proper high pressure hose from the compressor to the regulator.

The advantage of the A/C compressor is that it will always have air. Just keep up with the oil level, which is easy with a piece of coat hanger (comes with the Jeep, hint 2).

The air tanks have the advantage of being more portable, but obviously you have to keep up with the tank pressure.
                        Rich

Comment

I got a 20# CO2 tank for free, swapped it for a full 10# at AirGas. Refills cost about $15. I can refill my 35" from 12-35psi about 3 times (12 tires). The only problem with CO2 is waiting for others to fill! In warm conditions (it will slow down in the cold) it takes about 1 minute per tire, with regulator set at 90psi. Cold temps it'll take about 1 1/2 minutes per tire. I'm using a good regulator, so the freezing of the regulator isn't a problem. I have it set at 90psi so I can run an impact wrench on the trail if one is needed.

Comment

I have used both systems, I think the power tank sysytem is better as it is super quick to fill up, but it is a hassle to get filled. I went over to the viair kit setup, bought the constant duty kit, it is a bit slower than the other ones so that the compressor can be constant duty and if I was to buy one again would get the faster setup.
                            I mounted mine behind the seats on top of my amplifier box under the mountaieer rack, was a sweet setup. the hoses fit behind the front seat and I could just reach in either side to get to it.I also could jusrt reach back and turn it on about 5 minutes before the end of the trail and it would fill the tank.
                            I run a warn powerplant now.
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

i have had powertank and homemade co2 set up and i hate the frozen hose, i switched over to nitrogen, fill's the shocks and tires, and i believe dont shoot me if im wrong Mr.Blaine, that nitrogen is better in the tires than co2??

Comment

Working...
                              X