Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having worked in vic. recovery(H/D semi's)we used steel because it will out last the "plastic" rope 1000 to 1.
    Plastic ropes don't like sharp edges, UV, heat, fuel, oils, acids etc. and they stretch.
    Our cables and chains(3/8"grade70)were all DOT rated(HAD to be, BTW). I do not know if any of these plastic ropes are.
    FWIW: I'll stick with my 150' of 5/16 steel cable that's on my Warm 8274.
    Respectfully,
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
      Having worked in vic. recovery(H/D semi's)we used steel because it will out last the "plastic" rope 1000 to 1.
      Not doubting you, but I find it very difficult to believe anyone has purchased and worn out a thousand synthetic lines to 1 steel one. I've been doing some research on Synthetic line use in one of the toughest industries as far as abuse towards steel cable goes and even they aren't showing those numbers to be applicable. The industry I'm speaking of is the logging industry.

Plastic ropes don't like sharp edges, UV, heat, fuel, oils, acids etc. and they stretch.
      You mentioning that particular list of stuff that "plastic" rope doesn't like leads me to believe that perhaps you're not that familiar with synthetics we normally use as winchline. All of it is coated to resist any ill effects from UV and that's of particular importance because the vast majority of it is from the maritime world.

Heat is a valid point, but not for our uses because we don't melt ropes. As as far as fuel, oil, acids, or caustic bases, our winchline is impervious to most of it. I do think there is an acid that bothers it, but it would be the same acid that would ruin your steel and steel is impervious to no acid.

The last thing that leads me to believe you are a bit unfamiliar is your stretching comment. The number one reason why synthetics are so successful as winchlines is because they don't stretch. Their elongation per foot under specified loads is so small as to be negligible.

Our cables and chains(3/8"grade70)were all DOT rated(HAD to be, BTW). I do not know if any of these plastic ropes are.
      FWIW: I'll stick with my 150' of 5/16 steel cable that's on my Warm 8274.
      Respectfully,
      LG
      When did Warn start using Dot Compliant steel cable on their winches? For that matter, when did Warn meet any DOT compliance standards on any of their truck winches?
      I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
        Not doubting you, but I find it very difficult to believe anyone has purchased and worn out a thousand synthetic lines to 1 steel one. I've been doing some research on Synthetic line use in one of the toughest industries as far as abuse towards steel cable goes and even they aren't showing those numbers to be applicable. The industry I'm speaking of is the logging industry.

You mentioning that particular list of stuff that "plastic" rope doesn't like leads me to believe that perhaps you're not that familiar with synthetics we normally use as winchline. All of it is coated to resist any ill effects from UV and that's of particular importance because the vast majority of it is from the maritime world.
        LG... NO coating lasts forever, scrape the line on some objects and it will expose the "bare" rope over time. What is the avg. service life that you see for marine use? Also steel cable WILL rust like crazy(bad)and the syns. don't(good).

Heat is a valid point, but not for our uses because we don't melt ropes. As as far as fuel, oil, acids, or caustic bases, our winchline is impervious to most of it. I do think there is an acid that bothers it, but it would be the same acid that would ruin your steel and steel is impervious to no acid.
        LG...ALL fuels over time will take a "toll" on syn. ropes as does UV. One of the worst things you can spill on a syn. is brake fluid. Don't know why, just what I have seen is all.

The last thing that leads me to believe you are a bit unfamiliar is your stretching comment. The number one reason why synthetics are so successful as winchlines is because they don't stretch. Their elongation per foot under specified loads is so small as to be negligible.
        LG...Its not that they "don't stretch"(everydamnthing does to some point). Synthetics do not "store" the energy(what will cut you in half when they break)that steel cable does and THAT one of the best things about them.
        Syns. have a place, just NOT in heavy duty vic. recovery and in the uses I said above.

When did Warn start using Dot Compliant steel cable on their winches? For that matter, when did Warn meet any DOT compliance standards on any of their truck winches?
        LG...Read it again......NEVER said anything like that.

Blaine, you come from a marine background(I guess?) and I have a history from trucking and H/D vic. recovery. Two VERY far apart worlds/uses. Like apples and onions me thinks.
        Respectfully,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I cleaned up this thread removing any comments that got too far off topic.

My apologies if I removed anything from anyone's post that they felt should be left.

I know both Doug and Blaine personally, I consider them both friends. Blaine has been a good friend of mine and a good friend to the board's since the board started. Doug has been a friend of mine and the board over the past few years. Both of them make valuable contributions to the board. I would hate to lose either of them as members.

Tam
          2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
          Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Well I learned alot about synthetic winch cable.
            Thank you
            Dennis and Tammy
            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

blaine thank you for the info and comparison of both lines. this is the info that is helpful when u read a thread. i had no idea that synthetic lines were that evolved. and i completely understand the snap effect of a steel cable. i have personally seen a guy cut to hell from one and it was only an 1/8 cable. and as for the last part of your comment of your reply to me... i dont get offended by that type of attitude because if u know u have a valid point that u are sure u are correct of then sometimes its takes that type of attitude to get your poit through. "constructive criticism" . sometimes it might be a point of safety. especially in this thread concerning winches. they arent a joke and they can possibly kill u if dealt with improperly. but anyway thank u.

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                blaine thank you for the info and comparison of both lines. this is the info that is helpful when u read a thread. i had no idea that synthetic lines were that evolved. and i completely understand the snap effect of a steel cable. i have personally seen a guy cut to hell from one and it was only an 1/8 cable. and as for the last part of your comment of your reply to me... i dont get offended by that type of attitude because if u know u have a valid point that u are sure u are correct of then sometimes its takes that type of attitude to get your poit through. "constructive criticism" . sometimes it might be a point of safety. especially in this thread concerning winches. they arent a joke and they can possibly kill u if dealt with improperly. but anyway thank u.
                What a refreshing reply and great attitude in your response. It's nice to see a reply like yours, such mature replies are rare indeed.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Lots of good information on this thread. Thanks to all who posted, kicked and shoved...It's well worth the years of experience.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
                    You're welcome. It's quite pleasant to see you easily understood the intent of my reply to you. It's unfortunate that I've received phone calls from several accusing me of calling you everything from ignorant to stupid and nothing could be further from the truth.

I was merely pointing out that you and I have distinct posting styles and it would be a colossal waste of time for either of us to attempt to change the other. No more, no less.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                      LG...Read it again......NEVER said anything like that.

Blaine, you come from a marine background(I guess?) and I have a history from trucking and H/D vic. recovery. Two VERY far apart worlds/uses. Like apples and onions me thinks.
                      Respectfully,
                      LG
                      No, no marine background. You should go back through and try to absorb some of what I was saying. My point was and is that although you are well versed in your particular area of expertise, almost none of it applies to what we do as far as the use of synthetic lines in self recovery.

It matters not that you are required to have towing gear that meets DOT standards because we are not participating in an environment that is regulated by compliance with DOT standards. The winch isn't, the line isn't, and the method by which it's attached to the vehicle isn't. So yes, you have achieved your apples to onions comparison.

Over the years, I've seen many posts from folks who are not familiar with the new synthetics and they are typified by comments very similar to the ones you made. The key word by those that always tips me off as to the particular level of unfamiliarity is "stretch".

If you believe that synthetic winchlines stretch too much, then you aren't familiar and there's not much of a nicer way to say it.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                      X