Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic winch line protector

Well my jeep is down for the moment so i figured id do something cheap and easy. I got my one inch tubular nylon from strapworks shipped to my door for 20 ft was 13.50 so i figured what the hell. Im sure it will help protect the winchline from the sun and rocks.

it was super easy to install i took 20 ft of coax tv cable and electrical taped the end and fished it thru. Two people make this like a 30 second operation lol .

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

I would wrap up the mounting end as well to help with any chaffing against the barrel
    Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
      I would wrap up the mounting end as well to help with any chaffing against the barrel
      Thats a good idea I think ill take the 8 foot one i took off and use it there

I wanted to see how it holds up then ill order enuff to do the whole line @ 40 cents a foot i think its well worth it

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
        Thats a good idea I think ill take the 8 foot one i took off and use it there

I wanted to see how it holds up then ill order enuff to do the whole line @ 40 cents a foot i think its well worth it
        One of two things is true, either you're a new winch owner, or you're new to synthetic lines and actually using them.

That tubular nylon that you've put on there will at some point during a recovery become your worst nightmare when it bunches up and actually explodes from the pressure. Then you have a mess and not one you really want to deal with in the midst of a recovery. Not to mention that you are dramatically reducing the actual capacity of your winch drum with all that added bulk.

Further, that thin tubular stuff tends to give folks a false sense of security and they get careless in their rigging by thinking it will actually protect the line from sharp edges which it won't.

I'd strongly encourage you to remove all of it and find something else cool to do with it.
        I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          One of two things is true, either you're a new winch owner, or you're new to synthetic lines and actually using them.

[COLOR="Lime"]Nope i have been using both for a long time [/COLOR]

That tubular nylon that you've put on there will at some point during a recovery become your worst nightmare when it bunches up and actually explodes from the pressure. Then you have a mess and not one you really want to deal with in the midst of a recovery. Not to mention that you are dramatically reducing the actual capacity of your winch drum with all that added bulk.

[COLOR="lime"]I am running 20ft of line protector on 100' of winch line and have plenty more room on the drum, as long as its spooled and put away neatly i have enough room for at least 3 more full wraps. The tubular nylon is the same stuff that came from viking i just got a longer piece. [/COLOR]

Further, that thin tubular stuff tends to give folks a false sense of security and they get careless in their rigging by thinking it will actually protect the line from sharp edges which it won't.

[COLOR="lime"]Im not saying that this will make the winchline bullet proof but it is far better than dragging you synthetic line across rocks bare.[/COLOR]

I'd strongly encourage you to remove all of it and find something else cool to do with it.

THank you though you have brought up some good points that need to be adressed i really didnt think about what can happen when it goes thru a snatch block because ive only had to use one a few times.

Comment

Scott,

I thought you said that you were a "rookie". LMFAO! Mike (deepwater) has a neat piece of thin flexible plastic that bends around the spool and can be taken on and off as needed. It fits inside the the spool area and just covers the winch line. Pretty cool, I'll see if I can get him to post a picture. If you can't figure out this Jeeping thing just let me know. I take your un-used JK off your hands and show you what to do with it!

Mitch

Comment

THank you though you have brought up some good points that need to be adressed i really didnt think about what can happen when it goes thru a snatch block because ive only had to use one a few times.
              [COLOR="Silver"]Hopefully when you try to reply to this, you'll see why text color changes in replies are stupid. It's not just the snatch block, we've had the line bunch up and explode the tubular stuff many times, plus it bunches up any place it drags and makes it very difficult to pull out in free spool. [/COLOR]

Nope i have been using both for a long time

[COLOR="Silver"]That's surprising, usually someone who is experienced realizes that rarely do we have straight pulls and when the line bunches up at one side of the winch, you really need all the capacity you can get. [/COLOR]

I am running 20ft of line protector on 100' of winch line and have plenty more room on the drum, as long as its spooled and put away neatly i have enough room for at least 3 more full wraps. The tubular nylon is the same stuff that came from viking i just got a longer piece.

[COLOR="silver"]Yes, but you said if you liked it, you were going to do the whole line. 3 more full wraps ain't nothing on a side pull. I've seen the line stacked up to full capacity where you had to use another rig to pull it out and half the line was still out.[/COLOR]

Im not saying that this will make the winchline bullet proof but it is far better than dragging you synthetic line across rocks bare.

[COLOR="silver"]Again, someone with experience with synthetic lines should know that you should strive to never drag the line. Face it. You went to a lot of effort to equip your rig to be self recovered. Key word there being SELF. That means you winch yourself to an anchor point and the line doesn't get drug over anything. If you are going to drag your line over rocks, it's actually better that it's bare so you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you need to toss down a sweatshirt, floor mat or similar to protect the line. If you think that tubular crap does any good when it matters, put one of your fingers in a piece of it and go test it with the pressure a line sees on some sharp objects. What most fail to realize is the webbing stays in one spot and the line moves over that very same spot and wears through the thin nylon very rapidly and then the rope fibers become damaged, only now the damage is hidden and you can't see it.[/COLOR]
              I am Savvy.

Comment

I will second Blaine's input here. You need the good material to protect your line and you do not want too much of it. You want to be able to move it around on the line to protect against rocks. You also do not want to be fighting too much extraneous material as you are winching. It will bunch up.
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                  [COLOR="Silver"]Hopefully when you try to reply to this, you'll see why text color changes in replies are stupid. It's not just the snatch block, we've had the line bunch up and explode the tubular stuff many times, plus it bunches up any place it drags and makes it very difficult to pull out in free spool. [/COLOR]

Nope i have been using both for a long time

[COLOR="Silver"]That's surprising, usually someone who is experienced realizes that rarely do we have straight pulls and when the line bunches up at one side of the winch, you really need all the capacity you can get. [/COLOR]

I am running 20ft of line protector on 100' of winch line and have plenty more room on the drum, as long as its spooled and put away neatly i have enough room for at least 3 more full wraps. The tubular nylon is the same stuff that came from viking i just got a longer piece.

[COLOR="silver"]Yes, but you said if you liked it, you were going to do the whole line. 3 more full wraps ain't nothing on a side pull. I've seen the line stacked up to full capacity where you had to use another rig to pull it out and half the line was still out.[/COLOR]

Im not saying that this will make the winchline bullet proof but it is far better than dragging you synthetic line across rocks bare.

[COLOR="silver"]Again, someone with experience with synthetic lines should know that you should strive to never drag the line. Face it. You went to a lot of effort to equip your rig to be self recovered. Key word there being SELF. That means you winch yourself to an anchor point and the line doesn't get drug over anything. If you are going to drag your line over rocks, it's actually better that it's bare so you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you need to toss down a sweatshirt, floor mat or similar to protect the line. If you think that tubular crap does any good when it matters, put one of your fingers in a piece of it and go test it with the pressure a line sees on some sharp objects. What most fail to realize is the webbing stays in one spot and the line moves over that very same spot and wears through the thin nylon very rapidly and then the rope fibers become damaged, only now the damage is hidden and you can't see it.[/COLOR]

no need to get your panties in a bunch just because i dont choose to bow down to the almighty mr blaine

Comment

Your advice was taken and there was no need for you to get all butthurt and prove that you think you need to prove your point.....

Moving on

Comment

Your advice was taken and there was no need for you to get all butthurt and prove that you think you need to prove your point.....

Moving on
                      Sorry, that wasn't even close to butthurt. My apologies if you thought it was. I don't expect you to bow down to anything. It's your winchline and you are welcome to screw it up however you like. At least now you won't be surprised when it happens and you will know what's going on. For that, you're very welcome.

The only reason I posted is some poor newbie might actually read your post and think it's a good idea and copy you. If I can convince him to be smarter, then it's one less of those POS line "protectors" I have to cut off on the trail.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

Well Like i said thank you for your advice. And i promise that you def sound like the last person id ever ask for help from on the trail because id hate to bother you for your time.

Comment

Mrblaine actually generously gave you quite a bit of time explaining why the line protector was not a good idea. He's not bothered at all by people who need help and accept it without getting all butt-hurt. And trust me, having had the benefit of his help on the trail several times, you couldn't ask for anyone better to receive help from or more generous with his help.

Don't get so butt-hurt the next time someone offers sound advice to you, none of us know everything.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                            Don't get so butt-hurt the next time someone offers sound advice to you, none of us know everything.
                            It is not about the advice it is about the messenger and his chosen style of delivery.
                            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
                              It is not about the advice it is about the messenger and his chosen style of delivery.
                              We are not children here and we should not expect to be addressed in the way a child would so as to not hurt his feelings. There was nothing wrong with his chosen style of delivery... it was simple, direct, didn't beat around the bush, and it cut to the chase. Apparently a few here have overly sensitive feelings and need to get over it.
                              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X