Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RubiKat View Post
    Thanks Tam that is a very good point...
    It becomes an even better point when you figure that Savvy can supply a front bumper, a rear bumper, full aluminum corners, and a gas tank skid for right at 100 lbs total. Slightly more for an Unlimited.
    I am Savvy.

Comment

What do your TJ corner weight, and what it the savings over steel?

Also, what material do you use for the main skid plates and what is the weight savings to 1/4" steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
        What do your TJ corner weight, and what it the savings over steel?

Depends on what corner you're referring to. I just installed a set in place of some of the 1/8" thick short corners that just extend to barely past the filler neck. Our full aluminum corners in 3/16" weighed less by about 5 lbs per side.
        Also, what material do you use for the main skid plates and what is the weight savings to 1/4" steel?
        What main skid plate are you referring to?

In general, aluminum weighs 1/3 of what steel does for the same thickness. In other words, 10 lbs of aluminum protects the same amount of your tub as 30 lbs of steel.
        I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          Depends on what corner you're referring to. I just installed a set in place of some of the 1/8" thick short corners that just extend to barely past the filler neck. Our full aluminum corners in 3/16" weighed less by about 5 lbs per side.

What main skid plate are you referring to?

In general, aluminum weighs 1/3 of what steel does for the same thickness. In other words, 10 lbs of aluminum protects the same amount of your tub as 30 -lbs of steel.
          The steel corners I have are 3/16". I believe your aluminum corners are also 3/16". What is the weight of a pair of full corners in each material?

My steel skid is 1/4" and has two 1/8"x2" angles welded across for added stiffness. It's take a lot of abuse and has not deflected, but it's heavy and weighs exactly 75lbs. What is the thickness of your aluminum skid that protects the transmission and transfer case, and does it have any additional bracing? I've climbed ledges and have come down directly on the skid from more than 2' high. Will aluminum sustain a hit like that without cracking?

Comment

The steel corners I have are 3/16". I believe your aluminum corners are also 3/16". What is the weight of a pair of full corners in each material?
            Savvy's rear corner guards like are on my TJ are 12 lbs. each.

Full corner guards made from steel can weigh up to 65 lbs. each according to Savvy partner Gerald Lee. My previous steel corners made by Warrior were something like 24 lbs. each but they were only 1/8" steel and stopped just forward of the gas cap so they didn't cover the entire rear corner like the Savvy corners do.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Our full corners are about 12 lbs per side. In steel of the same thickness you can roughly estimate that they will be 36 lbs per side.

My steel skid is 1/4" and has two 1/8"x2" angles welded across for added stiffness. It's take a lot of abuse and has not deflected, but it's heavy and weighs exactly 75lbs. What is the thickness of your aluminum skid that protects the transmission and transfer case, and does it have any additional bracing? I've climbed ledges and have come down directly on the skid from more than 2' high. Will aluminum sustain a hit like that without cracking?
              Here's a pic of the same 5/16" thick unbraced flat to the frame aluminum belly skid I've been abusing in JV for at least 5 years. I've slammed it, drug it over far too many rocks to count, and generally treated it poorly with no ill effects. No, I don't think you will crack our belly skid when we get it finished and it will be 1/4".

I am Savvy.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The rear corners, the door sill down to the rockers, the portion of the tub in front of the doors and the triangles that make the front fenders are all 3/16" steel on my CJ. The rear corners have been cut to where I doubt they weigh more the 20 lbs each. But when you add the 75lbs skid with everything else there's probably 100 lbs that could be saved. I did kiss the rear of one of my corners on a rock and it did not hold up as well as I would have thought.

My CJ is fairly light for what it is. The Jeep with 19 gallons of fuel weights 3,980. That's a V8, NV4500, one tons and 42" tires on a certified scale. But when it comes to weight, less is more.
                Last edited by Double AA; 01-12-10, 11:49 AM. Reason: Corrected 3/8" to 3/16"

Comment

That is light! My TJ with 4.0, auto, Atlas II, IronJock rear, Spidertrak Tru Hi9 is now 4050 lbs.

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Comment

Working...
                  X