Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the process of replacing the steering box on my CJ-8. It was leaking fluid from everywhere and I thought that after 29 years it was time to just get a new one and upgrade in the process.

Instead of going with an OEM replacement box, I decided to upgrade to a box for a '96 Hummer H1.

Here is what one of the members of the SoCal Scramblers sent me in a PM as a recommendation and I believe it would apply to at least all of the CJs from 81 - 86, but I'm not an expert:

If you haven't ordered a reman box yet, spec one out for a '96 Hummer H1, A1 Cardone part number 27-7595, it's a bolt in for the stock CJ P.S. gear it has the larger piston for less effort with a faster turning ratio (variable 13 to 16-1 vs 17-1), with 13/16" input splines and metric fittings as original on Scramblers.
    The guy who sent this to me is considered a "go to" guy when it comes to Jeeps. He worked at a Jeep dealership for a long time and recently retired. This advice was specific to my Scrambler and may not apply to your CJ, but I think it may.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable people on MJR are familiar with this and can comment.

Hope that helps.

Christian
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Hi, good info. but I don't think I would want a lifted CJ-7(what I have BTW)with "faster" steering for "on-road" driving. YMMV
      Respectfully,
      LG
      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
        Hi, good info. but I don't think I would want a lifted CJ-7(what I have BTW)with "faster" steering for "on-road" driving. YMMV
        Respectfully,
        LG
        LG,

I think you make a very good point and am glad you brought it up.

I did some quick research to gather some info that might prove helpful and I think that AGR would firmly support your statement from what they have written on their website.

Since AGR is well known and liked by many here, I'll post some info directly from their website assuming them to be authorities on the subject.

With regard to picking one of their boxes they say the following:

[COLOR="Red"]Super Box - SB1 Series[/COLOR]
        This steering box is engineered to be the ultimate in bolt-on power steering performance for those vehicles used for more off-road than on road driving. Designed to be the most powerful and nimble steering with the least amount of effort, the SB1 features the largest piston available and a special spool valve to increase turning force. Total Bearing Control locks in the sector shaft for smooth steering. This box combined with an AGR Super Pump will provide the maximum available turning force in a steering box combination. Want more power than this? You'll need to step up to the AGR ROCKRAM* System. Short wheel-base Jeep CJ's, TJ's and similar sized vehicles should consider the SB2 box if driven at highway speeds.

[COLOR="red"]Super Box - SB2 Series[/COLOR]
        This box is nearly identical in design, brute force and performance to the Super Box 1, but is designed for the vehicle used as a daily driver. The SB2 has firmer valving and 16/13:1 variable ratio gearing for better handling and drivability at highway speeds.
        So, they clearly steer you in the direction of the SB2 if you plan to use it on the highway with a short wheelbase vehicle like a CJ.

They also say that...

The Hummer is factory equipped with the largest steering box available from Saginaw.
        I read that as a supporting statement for this being well known as a heavy duty steering box.

The Hummer and SB2 boxes both have a 16/13:1 variable ratio gearing. If set at 16:1, this is almost identical to the OEM Jeep box at 17:1.

Those who have an AGR box here and have posted to this thread, so far, have said that they like their box. I take their approval to mean that they are happy with the ratio that they settled on.

I would be interested to know what ratio those people have their box set to.

So, let's take the "3 Bears" approach...

Those of you who know what your steering ratio is, please post what you have it set to and whether you think it's "too much," "too little" or "just right."

I'm in agreement that the last thing we want is to have people flipping their lifted Jeeps due to steering that is too fast for the highway.

Christian
        "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

I do believe that in this case OEM was spot on for our C.J.'s w/power steering. I like the ratio that came with the OEM box w/my 33" BFG's. YMMV
          BTW with what AGR wants for a "built" box you could buy 2 OEM types from NAPA.
          The VERY BEST way to get a long life out of your steering box is to change the fluid every couple of years and add a cooler! My 25 Y/O OEM box is proof of this.
          When was the last time any of you changed your steering box oil??
          Just remember that OIL is the cheapest thing we will EVER put in our "toys" so use the best/change it often.......
          Respectfully,
          LG
          P.S. I am NO FAN of AGR. I have seen many of their boxs fail and I feel they are way over priced for what you get.
          Last edited by Lumpy Grits; 01-07-10, 07:56 AM.
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
          X