Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Steering gearbox upgrade

You guys have always had the right answers before and am hoping to dip into the well of expertise one more time (I do not promise that this will be the last time)...

I have an 83 CJ-7... Chev 350/Turbo 350 3 spd auto (from 1990 C1500), Dana 44's front and back from an 80's International Scout, Vanco hydroboost braking, running the Chev power steering pump, and the stock CJ steering gearbox.

Here are the symptoms...

Over the last year or so I have noticed more and more that the steering has gotten looser and more squirrelly (sp).

Steering to the left has been much more tight than steering to the right.

I replaced the tierod, tierod ends, and draglink with the heavy duty kit from Currie. Had the Jeep aligned...

After a little bit of wheeling, the steering has started to make a little whining sound... Kind of like the sound I make everytime I have to buy more parts for my Jeep :bonk:

Upon returning home from this last weekend, where we wheeled without issue, while backing the Jeep into the garage, the CJ would hardly turn to the left at all... maybe 1/4 of the expected turning radius. Turning the right seemed to be full or at least what I expect... While straightening out from the turn to the right, it doesn't want to straighten out easily at all... I checked the tierods and draglink, they are still in perfect condition and tight.

So, to the upgrade question...

I have read that I could pick up the steering gearbox from an 80's model J20 and bolt it right up. I read that the J20 box is supposed to be a substantial upgrade on the stock CJ box. Anyone have any experience with this option?

I have also been told that I should call PSC. I have been told that PSC makes an upgraded box that should be more than I would ever need. Anyone have any experience with PSC? and their stuff?

Any help, ideas, additional options, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Randy,

You probobly wore it out looking for us on Friday! Randy copy? Randy can you hear us?

What if you pop off the Pitman arm and turn the steering wheel back and forth (cycle the steering box)when it is not attached to the tie rods or front end? If there is an internal problem with the box it might show up then. When mine went it did not get tight like that just tons of slop and free travel.

Good luck to you.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch is pretty close with his idea. Kust kack it up disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm and see if you can move the wheels freely by hand left and right if that is good its steering box time

Comment

Mitch & Art... disconnected the draglink... tires turn pretty freely... so, does look like I am in for a steering gearbox?

Do you guys have any recommendations? I want to upgrade while I am at it...
        Regards,
        Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

Randy, I had an AGR box and pump in my CJ for around 6-7 years and loved it. Lot's of power and never a problem. I would spend the extra $ and go with one of the aftermarket units. I would also add an in-line cooler at the same time. I'm sure you won't go wrong with Howe, PSC or AGR.

Comment

Randy,

Reminding that I'm not the authority here, grabbing the steering wheel does it swing left or right freely? If it doesn't that would discount the steering box as the problem.

Mitch

Comment

Randy, I am having the exact same problem. All my joints are worn and Steering box is shot as well. Too much play. I priced out an AGR today. They are not cheap, but i have heard a few people suggest AGR as a good aftermarket product.
              Living the Dream"!
              , Joe

Comment

HI, look at it this way....How long did the OEM box last???
                How do you know it's NOT THE PUMP?
                Call NAPA and see what they get for box and pump.
                There are NAPA's everydangplace, AGR not so much......
                Respectfully,
                LG
                Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Lumpy... you have a valid point...

Here is what I have found so far..

Napa stock replacement will run me about $189 plus core
                  http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50038+2038003

PSC "Upgraded" larger piston gear box will run me about $400
                  http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg622m...ear-p-124.html

or
                  http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg622m...ear-p-123.html

In speaking with PSC, they highly recommend going with the upgraded model with the larger piston because of the 35" tires and the horse being pushed by the Chev 350...

Art, Chuck, Andrew and Kurt... Do you guys have any input/advice you could offer?
                  Regards,
                  Randy

Comment

I'm not any of the above-referenced people, but if it's whining (I'd have to hear it), I'd suspect the pump. Usually a pump does that when it's starving for fluid or there's a lot of air in the lines (same difference). Are any of the lines kinked? Remember you could be dealing with two or more separate problems here.

I lucked out last summer and got a new AGR gearbox for about $170 on eBay. Still would like the AGR pump, tho.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Remember that you can replace the NAPA stuff at ANY of their stores, anywhere, 7-days a week......Can you say that about the other guy???
                      So if your junk goes T/U in BFE what's the best route for you to take?
                      BTDT......
                      Respectfully,
                      LG
                      Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                        but if it's whining (I'd have to hear it), I'd suspect the pump. Usually a pump does that when it's starving for fluid or there's a lot of air in the lines (same difference). Are any of the lines kinked? Remember you could be dealing with two or more separate problems here.
                        Randy,

I agree with this 100%. Are you sure the steering gear is bad? Make sure you investigate before you start thowing money at it. I beat the $h!t out of my stock steering box on 33's and 35's and had no issues.

If it is bad my vote goes to PSC. I have had no issues with their products I use and their customer service has been great.
                        Check out .

Comment

Chuck he has powersteering to the right but not the left nor does he have problems with his Vanco brakes that runs of the powersteering pump. So even though the pump whines its producing adequate pressure or he would notice it right away when trying to steer and brake generally what happens with a bad pump is at idle when you hit the brakes you will not have any powersteering what so ever turning left or right.
                          The pump might have seen better days and make noise because its worn out/ they can whine when the fluid bypasses the vanes in the pump. Still that is not the root cause of the problem the fluid can also get very hot because of the defective or binding steering box and because of that the pump whines. The problem is either a bad seal on one side of the power piston in the steering gear or the worm shaft or sector binds on the power piston.

Comment

Yeah, that makes perfect sense, Art. You're the pro. Since the initial problem was detected in the steering resistance, the gear is no doubt the root problem. If it has started squealing, either the cause has gotten worse, or I'm thinking the pump is likely going out.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                              nor does he have problems with his Vanco brakes
                              Did not know that. My bad.
                              Check out .

Comment

Working...
                              X