Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kits

me again. I am researching lift kits. I'm finding 3" body lifts for $60 and 3" suspension lifts for $400-$2000. Are the body lifts really dangerous? I'm not really gonna use my jeep offroads much. It is more of a highway, driving around town vehicle.
    Tweezle,
    87' Wrangler
    Black Beauty

I think the general concensus on this board is that body lift should be kept to a minimum. 3 inch BL is way too much, I have a 2 inch and think its too much. If you do this, you'll find that things dont line up as they used to. T-case linkage will be off, radiator should need to be dropped AND/OR the engine being raised. Honestly, I would save up a little and do it right. You'll save time and money down the road. Also, look for used stuff . . . theres nothing wrong with that.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

2"!?!?!?! no wonder your jeep is so much taller than mine. seesh...(i thought it was the auto)
      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

even if your jeep is a street jeep a BL is still a bad idea IMO. when my jeep was in the shop after a fender bender there was another jeep there that had a 3" BL and it had rolled off the pucks and ripped holes in the tub along with ripping out all the wiring. and it wasnt a very hard impact it was just due to the forward momentum

Comment

just save up for a 4" lift... it isnt much more tan the 2-3" lift, then you can use 1-2" body lift, and fit up to 35" tires on there.
          i have a 2" bl, and am happy with it so far... but i would not want to go to 3" bl. it is just tooo much.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Have you ever heard of Rough Country rand Lift Kits. They got 3" kits for $400 - $500 on ebay for 87 YJ's. From what I'm hearing I could use something like that with a 1"BL and get about 4". Right?
            Tweezle,
            87' Wrangler
            Black Beauty

Comment

from what i have heard... stay away from rough country. save a few extra bucks and get the re lift. rough country is sopposed to be even harsher on the road than pro comp. for you, planning to use it primarily on the street.. i'd hget something that is soft enough to use on the street.
              it might be ok... like my pro comp, but i had to REALLY wheel the hell out of my pro comp lift to make it streetable. in your case, i recommend something "streetable" out of the box.
              re gets good feedback for street, and trail.
              good luck
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'd do it right the first time but it'll cost a few bucks. I got the Rubicon standard 4" for $525, then because of the driveline vibes and bad pinion angle I got the Tom Woods drive shaft and Advavanced Adapters slip yoke eliminator for another $525. The spring shims that come with the lift kit are only 2* so I had to order some 8* shims to get the pinion angle right.Then the drop pitman arm was another $50.Yea, my rig sat for a long time but it was worth the $$ and wait.
                “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Beware the procomp lift! I have it on my jeep from the previous owner. When I changed the axles I got a good look at the control arm joints. all the holes and sleeves in the bushings are elongated and oval shaped. I guess its better than ripping the control arm brackets, but not much. Makes a lot of noise when the weight shifts front to back or side to side. Its got to go.

Comment

I agree with the brian4.2, I had the 4" had the same issues.
                    Go RE. I would not go over 2" on body lift, personally I woulnd't go over 1" but I know a few who have a 2" and are happy with it.
                    81 CJ-8
                    under construction

Comment

RE Extreme or no

They have RE extreme duty and regular. For a street jeep would you guys recommend regular or do you think it is worth the $ and get the extreme duty?
                      Tweezle,
                      87' Wrangler
                      Black Beauty

Comment

Re: RE Extreme or no

Originally posted by tweezle
                        They have RE extreme duty and regular. For a street jeep would you guys recommend regular or do you think it is worth the $ and get the extreme duty?
                        Probably not. If you ever do get it off road, you'll probably be wishing you got the extreme duty. But if you dont ever plan on taking it off road, the extreme duty lift is probably a little on the stiff side, I would imagine.

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Tweezle, 4" lift for $487 @ www.4wheelers.com... that's what I am gonna get. (superflex)
                          [color=grey]Ryan[/color]
                          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]No Jeep To speak of. But I got a Hummer H3[/COLOR]

Comment

4WD Hardware

4WD hardware has a 3.5" kit for $650. It looks like a good all around kit. Comes w/ shocks everything you need. Any thoughts?
                            Tweezle,
                            87' Wrangler
                            Black Beauty

Comment

Working...
                            X