Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of a Noob question I guess.

Been a jeeper for over 15 yrs now. Never really paid to much attn to it but what kind of power steering fluid should i use on my jeep? its a 97 tj with a 04 steering pump.

I looked all over online and i'm reading that i must use a mopar fluid. goes for like 12 bucks a pint. dealer only.

what are you guys using?

i changed back from a durango box to a stock box and i put Vato-zone power steering fluid in it and now my pump has a weird sound. like a loud bee sound... hard to explain.. but it varies w/engine rpm and i sourced it to the pump. I want to get all the fluid out of it and try the "proper fluid" before i opt for a new pump..
    Recommendations please
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Kevin,

Curious as to why you changed from the HD Durango box back to stock? That swap worked good for me.

Mitch

Comment

Kevin are you sure the fluid is not just aerated, is pretty common when you change a steering box or power steering pump. let it sit for several hours and try again

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
        Kevin are you sure the fluid is not just aerated, is pretty common when you change a steering box or power steering pump. let it sit for several hours and try again
        I agree with Art. And I agree with Mitch. I have the Durango box and have no issues with it.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Did you do the initial power steering system bleed with the engine running? That can cause problems if you did. It should be bled without the engine/power steering pump running by fully cycling the steering back & forth with the steering wheel at least 25-30 times to get the majority of the bubbles out. Only then should the engine be started which will finish getting rid of any remaining air.
          Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 10-24-09, 11:11 AM.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I have used either the Napa cheap PS fluid, or ATF. When I swapped to the Durango box, i bled it with the engine running and had no problems. Did you drain the system and refill with new fluid?
            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I went with the durango box because it was an upgrade. well actually i thought my oem box was going out and i bought the durango. just to realize that my pump was failing me.. the box lasted a few yrs.

i damaged the bearing or something in the durango. it leaks and over all im just not happy w/it. i got a tj box again and its fine.

the pump went out and i bought one from someone either on here or jeepsunlimited.com and i believe it was from a 04 rubi. after running it for a few months its now making a weird noise. doesnt sound like the typical noise of a pump going out or when its airated or low on fluid.
              its more of a bearing noise. its been worse since i put a cooler inline. i used whatever ps fluid.. i think its the wrong type.

i still just wanna know what type of fluid is used so i can try it out and see if it goes away...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                Did you do the initial power steering system bleed with the engine running? That can cause problems if you did. It should be bled without the engine/power steering pump running by fully cycling the steering back & forth with the steering wheel at least 25-30 times to get the majority of the bubbles out. Only then should the engine be started which will finish getting rid of any remaining air.
                No, I bled it with power off. turned it several times, then went to bed. woke up the next day and did it again, then w/it running.. all the while with wheels off the ground.
                i bled it correctly. its not an airate problem. im thinking its a type problem. that or just a shot pump.

Comment

Generally speaking, the pump should not whine when its not hot. They specify different fluids for seal life and heat properties. So in my book if it doesn't go away the pump is done. Still fluid is relatively cheap so its worth it to try amd flush it. Ya never know you could get lucky

Comment

thats what i'm hoping for. 20 bucks for fluid flush, or 20 bucks for fluid and 100 for a pump..

Comment

Kevin, I don't have the manual for an 04 Jeep, but the Factory Service Manual for my 2005 TJ says "The recommended fluid for the power steering system is MoparŪ ATF +4."
                      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                      KI6MLU

Comment

thanks, i called the steal... i mean dealer. 12.99 a pint. not bad i guess.

havent driven the jeep for a few wks mostly due to the noise. started it up today, pulled it out. noisy as usual. then i threw a code. COOL! now i'll know what it is. borrowed a buddies OBDII scanner. P0141... DANG IT. has nothing to do w/my noise issue. its a rear O2 sensor. then i cleared it out. ran the jeep again. no code..

its really hard to isolate the noise since i have a clutch fan. resonates all over the place. it honestly sounds like a really loud fly or a bee. you know that bzzzzzzz sound? its not injectors, i know what injectors sound like. gets louder w/rpm increases. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and this is driving me nutz!
                        May just take it to Brothers4X4 and letting them deal with it.... starting to think its more near the injector/manifold gasket area. will post up a video/audio today.

Comment

Well if you are bored you can always run by my house, I think I am only a couple of miles from you

Comment

Kevin,

I don't think it is necessary to pay $$$$ for the MoparŪ brand ATF +4. I think that something like this would do:

It's $5.49/quart at Autozone.
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

ive heard from multiple sources NOT to use ATF. maybe i'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X