Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto guys on all the info.
    I'm due for a battery soon and was thinkin 'bout an Optima. But I'm sold on the Sears version.
    Thanks Jerry.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
      Ditto guys on all the info.
      I'm due for a battery soon and was thinkin 'bout an Optima. But I'm sold on the Sears version.
      Thanks Jerry.

Scott
      Me Five! Thanks Everybody!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Honestly, I am happy with the yellow batteries at Walmart. Been using them since the 90's in my cars. Never had one die. I am surprised at some who like to cut corners are paying the extra fee. We live in California NOT Montana :hide:

Comment

Can that Walmart battery be discharged to 80% and charged 400 times?
          Can it be mounted in any position?
          THe batteries we are talking about provide more than enough cranking amps for starting but also work as deep cycle and can be drained numerous times without damage.
          They can be mounted in any position without any performance loss.
          These are ideal characteristics for use in a Jeep.
          Winches, lights, compressors, welders.

Maybe a flop or two....

Just my :2: Ron.

Scott

Comment

THe batteries we are talking about provide more than enough cranking amps for starting but also work as deep cycle and can be drained numerous times without damage.

Maybe a flop or two....

Scott
            X2. Plus not only will their performance not be affected no matter what position it is in, thy won't leak either since there is no liquid acid inside. AGM batteries like the Diehard Platinum offer many advantages over conventional wet cell lead acid batteries and once they are understood, it's hard to use anything else but an AGM battery in a Jeep. Especially if you have a winch installed and use it enough so the AGM's benefits become easily understood.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Maybe a flop or two....

Scott
              Never asked. All I know is the longest I have had one is 3-4yrs and never an issue I have left the lights on all day on one car, and all night in another. Both started without issue.

Doesn't apply to me. I mount them inthe stock position. Although different positions can be fun

I hear you. Well, got the one for the jeep when I got it 8 months ago or so. Avalanche 1.5yrs ago. Countless other cars have them in it I have owned. Time will tell.

Comment

My last battery was and Everstart (I think) from Walmart and it died on me after about a year so, I went with the Optima red top. I like it, works great and runs all my goodies just fine. Got it a it Auto zone.

Scott
                "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                  My last battery was and Everstart (I think) from Walmart and it died on me after about a year so, I went with the Optima red top. I like it, works great and runs all my goodies just fine. Got it a it Auto zone.

Scott
                  Black or yellow? I heard the black ones aren't good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                    Black or yellow? I heard the black ones aren't good.
                    It was Yellow! and it didn't last very long!
                    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Doesn't apply to me. I mount them inthe stock position. Although different positions can be fun
                      I understand your thinking here, but let me throw something out there. My x-girlfriend bought a Jeep about 6 months before we split up . . . we still run into each other and about a year ago she flopped her Jeep on a fire road . . . I think she said it was a Sheriff that came out . . . kinda funny story . . . after they winched her Jeep back onto its wheels, no one thought to set the E-brake so the Jeep rolled down and crashed into the cop car!!! Cop was cool about it, not much damage appartently, and the Jeep was still driveable but had the usual body damage. Fairly new Jeep with full coverage so she takes it to the body shop and a couple of weeks later has her Jeep back . . . okay long story but here's the point. All of the sudden, she started having weird things happen, lights flahing, engine light coming on, blinkers turning on automatically, and even the Jeep just shutting off. Over the course of 3 months, she maybe had her Jeep for 2 weeks the rest was back and forth to the shop. They finally discovered that the stock battery, leaked when the Jeep was on its side and the acid made it's way into the computer. Personally I wanted the peace of mind, especially after hearing that story and seeing my stock battery leaking, and decided to avoid that style of battery, period. Not in other cars necessarily, but in my Jeep, absolutely.
                      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Good illustrative story Schmo, that a conventional battery leaked and ruined her Jeep's computer isn't the first time that has happened after a rollover or tipover. I wouldn't pay extra for an AGM battery for any of my three cars but I wouldn't have anything else in the Jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          Good illustrative story Schmo, that a conventional battery leaked and ruined her Jeep's computer isn't the first time that has happened after a rollover or tipover. I wouldn't pay extra for an AGM battery for any of my three cars but I wouldn't have anything else in the Jeep.
                          Exactly! I was only refering to a "jeep" situation.
                          Wouldn't bother with one in any of my other vehicles.
                          There more to it than leaving your lights on for a few hours. But i kinda think this is going to go the way the the thermostat discussion went.
                          This is my last post on this thread.....

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                            I understand your thinking here, but let me throw something out there. My x-girlfriend bought a Jeep about 6 months before we split up . . . we still run into each other and about a year ago she flopped her Jeep on a fire road . . . I think she said it was a Sheriff that came out . . . kinda funny story . . . after they winched her Jeep back onto its wheels, no one thought to set the E-brake so the Jeep rolled down and crashed into the cop car!!! Cop was cool about it, not much damage appartently, and the Jeep was still driveable but had the usual body damage. Fairly new Jeep with full coverage so she takes it to the body shop and a couple of weeks later has her Jeep back . . . okay long story but here's the point. All of the sudden, she started having weird things happen, lights flahing, engine light coming on, blinkers turning on automatically, and even the Jeep just shutting off. Over the course of 3 months, she maybe had her Jeep for 2 weeks the rest was back and forth to the shop. They finally discovered that the stock battery, leaked when the Jeep was on its side and the acid made it's way into the computer. Personally I wanted the peace of mind, especially after hearing that story and seeing my stock battery leaking, and decided to avoid that style of battery, period. Not in other cars necessarily, but in my Jeep, absolutely.

WOW! Never thought of that. Good idea. I can see that now. Thanks.

Comment

Exactly! I was only refering to a "jeep" situation.
                              Wouldn't bother with one in any of my other vehicles.
                              There more to it than leaving your lights on for a few hours. But i kinda think this is going to go the way the the thermostat discussion went.
                              This is my last post on this thread.....

Scott
                              The thermostat was just a case where I was right and everyone was wrong. Ok, I am seriously laughing as I type this.

This is different. Your right. I never thought about it rolling over and acid going every where. Good idea. So, the ones from Sears are dry acid too or just Optima's?

Comment

So, the ones from Sears are dry acid too or just Optima's?
                                AGM (absorbed glass matting) batteries use a paste form of acid that is absorbed into fiberglass matting. So the acid is not really dry but simply in a paste form that has been fully absorbed by the (fiber)glass matting. Optima's batteries all use AGM technology, so does the Exide Orbital and some of ProComp's batteries. Of course the Odyssey/Diehard Platinum uses AGM technology too.

Comment

Working...
                                X