Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery time

Im in need for a new battery what you guys think optima-sears have all the goodies so need a good one may be my last (getting old ) thanks :confused:

As a former LONG-time recommender of Optima batteries, I finally had to give up on them after three bad Optima batteries in a row. I was lucky to get 2-3 years each out of my two Yellow Tops and one Blue Top.

Instead, head to Sears and get their Diehard Platinum 34-78DT which is made for them by Odyssey. Both Odyssey and Optima are AGM technology batteries but the Odssey (Diehard Platinum too) is a far better quality battery. Heavier too due to its higher density per square inch, not to mention the Odyssey's purer lead.

I was amazed two months ago after removing the dead Blue Top and installing the Diehard Platinum. The engine spins over MUCH faster than it ever did with any of my Optimas and actually starts faster because of that.

Not to mention you can connect a winch directly to the Odyssey or Diehard Platinum's side posts if you get their 34-78 model (Group 34, the 78 indicates it also has side posts). You cannot attach a winch to the Optima's side posts, they will melt internally from a heavy winching session. Even Optima says not to connect a winch to their side posts.

Odyssey and the Diehard Platinum are the same batteries, I just recommend the Diehard Platinum for warranty reasons since there are Sears stores pretty much everywhere.

Edit: I understand that Optima's quality took a nose dive when they were bought out by Johnson Controls. One of Optima's employees wrote in a forum post several years ago that their drop in quality resulted from cost-cutting and a reduced quality of lead forced on them by Johnson Controls.
    Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-12-09, 09:23 AM.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

x2 . . . Sears Platnium all the way. I went with the one with the side posts so if/when I put a winch I can hook it right up to the side posts. I did quite a bit of research before buying as my stock one wasn't dead but leaking so I didn't have to rush out right away. Pretty much everyone said to go with the Odessey/Sears P . . . quite a few recommended the Optimas, but the ones that did seemed to have experiences with their old versions before the quality took a nose dive. The guys that had bought the Optimas recently seemed pretty dissatisfied with the product. I'd get it from Sears vs. Odessey as the warranty is better and I think the price was less too!
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I usually go to Walmart and get the yellow battery (Their best). I have used them since the 90's. I just look for the best CA and CCA and one that will fit. We actually left the lights on (the jeep) and we went outside to move it into the garage. Neighbor tells me he noticed the lights on all day. Nice of him to come tell us. Anyway, climbed in the jeep and fired right up. No issues. At the drive-in theater, we leave leave the radio on. We see ALL makes and models there that need to be jumped all the time. Never us! Personally, I like the batteries. Again, I look at the book for what it calls for on CA (cranking amps) and CCA (cold cranking amps) and look for a battery with more than that and will still fit in my vehicle. Then I install it. Always happy! Geeez I think the battery has a 9yr warranty now even on them.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
          At the drive-in theater, we leave leave the radio on.
          Drive-in theater??? Are you living in another dimension or something? I haven't seen a drive-in theater in 20 years!
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
            Drive-in theater??? Are you living in another dimension or something? I haven't seen a drive-in theater in 20 years!
            [COLOR="Sienna"]There's one in 29 Palms. I think 120 of them left in the U.S.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Today's hormone ravaged kids have no idea what they're missing without having one or two local drive-in theaters in town. I'm thankful for the half-dozen I had within 5-10 miles of my house when I was a teenager with a hot girlfriend way back during the dark ages. The windows would get so fogged up that you couldn't even see the movie, not that we cared enough to watch it.

Comment

My yellow top (optima) is still going strong after three years. But I'll tell you my next one will be the Sears (Plat). I've head very good things about these batts' before. And this thread here gives me more confirmation.

Comment

Battery time

thanks too all for the information was hearing the same just needed conformation. Jerry i feel the same way those were the good old days

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    Actually it's reverse. You need to get out some time!

There is one in Montclair (4 screens), Barstow (2 screens), and Riverside (4 screens). They are PACKED every weekend (to see over 50 cars per screen is common). They have shows Mon-Sun if you want to avoid the lines. $6-$7 a person (depending where), all new shows and you see TWO (I'll do the math...that's $3.50 a movie at Ontario and $3 at Barstow)!
                    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-14-09, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDOGG View Post
                      thanks too all for the information was hearing the same just needed conformation. Jerry i feel the same way those were the good old days
                      X2 on the info.In need of new battery cause I'm adding a winch.Thanks for the post RDOGG,and to all for the info.
                      Dennis
                      Dennis and Tammy
                      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

My first red top lasted around five years. When it died I replaced it with another red top. It lasted 4 months. I took it back to Sears and replaced it with another red top. It lasted 6 months. I now have a Platinum 34-78DT. It has a 48 month replacement warranty and 100 month prorated. It's hard to beat that.
                        Last edited by Double AA; 09-13-09, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I think only 3 brands are out there who make batteries? I think Delphi makes Walmart Everstart "maxx" the yellow one. I have it in ALL my cars. Since the 90's. Johnson controls makes Die hard from Sears. Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                            Johnson controls makes Die hard from Sears. Your call.
                            Johnson Controls may make some Diehard batteries but Odyssey makes the Diehard Platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                              Johnson Controls may make some Diehard batteries but Odyssey makes the Diehard Platinum.
                              Awww! Learned something. Intersting the lower grade stuff is made by someone else. Kind of like shocks. Only a few companies make them and tons of labels out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X