Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what year jeeps will fit a 2000 TJ?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      So what year jeeps will fit a 2000 TJ?
      If you are asking what year 32RH transmissions will fit a 2000 TJ, you'd be safe with any from 1997 to 2002.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

32RH Transmission

I have one in my 94. They were used from 94-02.
        Mine does not require a computer. I used a LOKAR shifter mounted on top.

Comment

Does your '94 have the lock-up torque converter used in later 32RH trannies? Having a lock-up torque converter is nice to have as not only does it improve higway gas economy, the tranny runs cooler when the torque converter is locked up.

Comment

So TDS SD your saying that you could maybe put an auto in with out changing the computer?
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

32rh

This is the transmission I put in my vehicle. 94 YJ with a 4.0. My vehicle has a PCM which I guess is the computer for my vehicle. It receives a signal from a solenoid on the transmission. My converter locks up at 1600 RPM. Not sure what is required of later models that have a computer that possibly controls the transmission other than connecting the soleniod. My vehicle also has a TPS which is also connected to the PCM and some how controls the transmission as well.
              "Sorry for the missinformation".

Transmission Assembly Wrangler 1994-1995
              This is a factory original NEW transmission assembly. This is the 3 speed 32RH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. This is a used with the 23 spline output and will fit Jeep Wranglers with the 4.0 liter engine from 1994-1995 and possibly later models with automatic transmission. This new 3 speed automatic transmission is brand new and not remanufactured and at a great price versus dealer price. No core will be needed.
              I purchased this transmission on the internet 2 years ago. No converetr or flexplate etc.
              George
              Last edited by TDS SD; 09-07-09, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Hows that auto working for you George?
                97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                WEB site

Comment

He wheels that thing pretty good. He might need some new spotters though..
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                    So TDS SD your saying that you could maybe put an auto in with out changing the computer?
                    With a TJ, you'd need a different computer (PCM) if you convert from a 5-speed to the 32RH auto. The PCM that comes in TJs with a 5-speed doesn't provide the lock-up signal the 32RH's torque converter requires. When I did my conversion, I had to swap in a PCM from a '97 TJ 4.0L that had an automatic. Swapping it is simple and takes less than 5 minutes total. No additional wiring is needed, all the wiring needed by the 32RH is already present in TJs that have the 5-speed.

Comment

Having wheeled both autos and manuals, I have to say each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. It is easier to wheel an auto, true. You can work with the torque reduction, and sometimes getting onto tricky obstacles is easier. But, compression braking is not even close to a correctly geared crawler. Also, there are times when a clutch comes in REALLY handy. For example, one time I stripped the rear gears in my 9" and had to wheel down the exit to Sledge in front drive only. The rear was free-wheeling. That step in the middle of the exit is hairy even under the best of circumstances, but was downright terrifying with only front drive. When I dropped down it, the only thing that saved me when the rear slid off and started lifting was stabbing the clutch and rolling through it. If I hadn't been able to do that, I would have tumbled down the hill. With an auto, you have to remember to punch it into N to get the same effect. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, that reaction doesn't come fast enough.

In the specific case of the waterfalls on Pumpkin Eater, I make them all the time with the 5-speed. The line is important. Everyone tries to climb the right side, and that doesn't work. You drop your right-rear into that big hole, and with the 5-speed, you get all bound up. That breaks things (I know from experience). With an auto, the torque converter will reduce the bind. The 5-speed line is to start on the left and go right onto the waterfall, and then turn hard left as you start to crest it. You pop a wheelie up the waterfall. It's kinda freaky, but works every time.
                      '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Auto 3 speed

Vern I miss the overdrive but I do not miss having a clutch. The arthritis in my left ankle joint appreciates it also.
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                          Having wheeled both autos and manuals, I have to say each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. It is easier to wheel an auto, true. You can work with the torque reduction, and sometimes getting onto tricky obstacles is easier. But, compression braking is not even close to a correctly geared crawler. Also, there are times when a clutch comes in REALLY handy. For example, one time I stripped the rear gears in my 9" and had to wheel down the exit to Sledge in front drive only. The rear was free-wheeling. That step in the middle of the exit is hairy even under the best of circumstances, but was downright terrifying with only front drive. When I dropped down it, the only thing that saved me when the rear slid off and started lifting was stabbing the clutch and rolling through it. If I hadn't been able to do that, I would have tumbled down the hill. With an auto, you have to remember to punch it into N to get the same effect. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, that reaction doesn't come fast enough.

In the specific case of the waterfalls on Pumpkin Eater, I make them all the time with the 5-speed. The line is important. Everyone tries to climb the right side, and that doesn't work. You drop your right-rear into that big hole, and with the 5-speed, you get all bound up. That breaks things (I know from experience). With an auto, the torque converter will reduce the bind. The 5-speed line is to start on the left and go right onto the waterfall, and then turn hard left as you start to crest it. You pop a wheelie up the waterfall. It's kinda freaky, but works every time.
                          I know the spot on the Sledge exit you're talking about and the only thing that saved me from doing an endo when my rear-end started lifting was to accelerate hard through that undercut. Scary moment, I know I would have endo'd if I had done anything differently that day. Blaine was right behind me and he later said he thought I was going over.

Regarding the waterfalls on Pumpkin Eater, the point was the additional low-end torque of the automatic I converted to was what made the difference for me in getting up all of them easily without the winch. By the way there is no "torque reduction" with an automatic, you got that backwards. There's actually a 2-3x low-end torque increase with an automatic when compared to a manual transmission.

My point being when I talked about those three waterfalls was that the torque increase after converting to the automatic made it actually pretty darned easy to get up them when compared to my old AX-15 manual tranny. Night and day improvement, having had the exact same Jeep, tires, gearing, suspension, etc. but with two different transmissions made it very clear that the automatic itself made a huge improvement in its trail capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                            My point being when I talked about those three waterfalls was that the torque increase after converting to the automatic made it actually pretty darned easy to get up them when compared to my old AX-15 manual tranny. Night and day improvement, having had the exact same Jeep, tires, gearing, suspension, etc. but with two different transmissions made it very clear that the automatic itself made a huge improvement in its trail capabilities.
                            Is first gear lower in the auto? I wonder if the different 1st gear between the two transmissions changed the crawl ratio enough to give you better control. Anyhow, any advice on how to wheel what I have, other than more hours on the trail? I don't want to experiment and leave a trail of broken parts behind. Thanks.
                            My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Comment

1st gear in an automatic is infinitely lower due to the torque converter's ability to let you creep at any speed starting at 0mph to let you go as slow as you need to go. On the really tough stuff I just keep my left foot on the brake and right hand on the hand throttle to let me creep along at any speed that is needed.

Low speeds, creeping as slow as is needed, is one way to help minimize trail carnage. Even that isn't always enough on the rocks though, that's an area where the best rigs can break for any number of reasons. My last trip up Pumpkin Eater resulted in nearly two hours of trail repairs that all resulted from a single hardened broken control arm bolt that let the axle shift and break the rear driveshaft, yoke, and control arm mount that tore off the axle. Nothing really expensive but still a PITA that almost made me miss a great bbq dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                                1st gear in an automatic is infinitely lower due to the torque converter's ability to let you creep at any speed starting at 0mph to let you go as slow as you need to go. On the really tough stuff I just keep my left foot on the brake and right hand on the hand throttle to let me creep along at any speed that is needed.

Low speeds, creeping as slow as is needed, is one way to help minimize trail carnage. Even that isn't always enough on the rocks though, that's an area where the best rigs can break for any number of reasons. My last trip up Pumpkin Eater resulted in nearly two hours of trail repairs that all resulted from a single hardened broken control arm bolt that let the axle shift and break the rear driveshaft, yoke, and control arm mount that tore off the axle. Nothing really expensive but still a PITA that almost made me miss a great bbq dinner.
                                Almost this exact thing happened to me on Pumpkin eater, except it was the ladder bar mount that broke. The axle rotated due to axle wrap, and it broke the pinion gear in half, dropping the broken gear down into the diff, which promptly seized.

I understand what you are saying about better crawling control with the auto, and I agree, but the same thing can be achieved with a manual and proper gears. On the steepest hills I can let out the clutch without touching the gas pedal and get moving. But I have 5.38's and a 4:1. You can get away with less gearing with the auto because of the torque increase. My Scrambler has an AW4, and with the 4.10's and 37's, it's a perfect compromise between street and dirt. But I have WAY better control in my TJ in the dirt, and I don't have to use the brakes nearly as much. Again, advantages and disadvantages for both.

I like my 5-speed enough that I wouldn't consider changing it out unless I could fit an AW4 in there for the overdrive. When I converted my CJ7 to a TF999 way back when, I did love it, but it absolutely sucked on the street due to the loss of the overdrive that I enjoyed with the 5-speed.
                                '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
                                X