Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wheels a manual?

Looking for some tip on wheeling a stick in the rocks. I've tried three pedaling it with low RPMs & also high RPMs sliding it like crazy. Don't know which way is correct. So how do you guys wheel?

98 TJ 5-speed, 33x12.50, 3.73 LSD rear(D44), open front.
    Three pedal it, low rpms, lug the engine
    71.88%
    High rpms, slide like crazy, pull the parking brake
    6.25%
    Silly Red Heep, you should have bought an auto
    21.88%
    Last edited by Red Heep; 08-30-09, 10:24 PM.
    My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Gears man its all about gears........
    Its no fun without family

Comment

Originally posted by tool pimp View Post
      Gears man its all about gears........
      What he said! It's all about gears!

I have 4.88's in the pumpkins and 4:1 in the transfer case. So, my little 4 popper can crawl fairly nicely in rocks and dirt....I don't care for the snow, though.

I have one of those "hand throttles" on the gear shift, but I revert to 3 pedaling it 90% of the time.
      Money pit!

Comment

4.88's or lower 4 to 1 or 5 to1 transfercase and maybe some lockers and the crawl business is a lot more managable

Comment

None of the above

I've got 3:07's, 33's and 2.5:1 transfer case + 6 speed stick.
          I get it through some pretty rocky stuff. It aint easy. But I don't lug the engine or slide everywhere.
          Just try to find that middle ground.
          Sometimes 3 peddals, sometimes parking brake. It's always different.
          Each situation need it's own finesse.

THat's just my :2:
          Scott

Comment

Go through a lot of clutches?????
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

As stated, gears, gears, gears. My Samurai has 6.5-1 tcase, 5.13 axles and 31's. 125-1 crawl ratio. Starts out in 5th gear without any trouble.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                As stated, gears, gears, gears. My Samurai has 6.5-1 tcase, 5.13 axles and 31's. 125-1 crawl ratio. Starts out in 5th gear without any trouble.
                WOW! Top speed is 25mph?

Comment

Scott (Dezertdog) is absolutly right!

" It's all about finessing the skinny pedal! "

I got my '93 YJ with a 4 Cyl / 5 Speed / Open Diff's and it's still that way at the moment,... and I've taken it through some craaaaaazy stuff!!!

My suggestion is to learn to drive it first! Learn your Jeeps limits, learn it's strengths and learn how to finesse it through the harder stuff before you go getting "all gun ho" about upgrading it! (...are you listening Ron?? )

I've driven my Jeep the way it is now for years and I've learned how to drive it!! I can get it through almost anything now a days with little or no trouble! Not to say the strap doesn't need to come out now and again...... but, It's very rare these days!

I just recently got everything I need to up the rear of mine to a Super 35 with an e-locker and 4.88's to re-gear the front and rear. I just need some help installing it! (Hint Hint... Art!!!)

But I know,.... even after the I do the upgrade, I wont change the way I've learned to drive it! Because I've learned how to finesse the hard stuff with out it for sooooo long, I know that having all this new stuff will just be icing on the cake!

Just my :2:

See ya, Scott
                  Last edited by avjeepfreek; 08-31-09, 09:01 AM.
                  "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Again, gears. I have 5.38's, 4:1 t-case, and the 5-speed has a 4:1 first. In 1st gear low I can overrun the brakes. Almost impossible to stall. I never burn the clutch, and I never have to give it any gas to get moving. I've wheeled both sticks and autos, and with the right gears, the stick wins hands down. WAY more control.
                    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. However, I can't afford gears for a while or lockers for that matter. I'd love some 4.88's & an ARB or OX Locker.

I'm spending cash I don't have on tires since mine are scary bald. Just looking for some advice on how to wheel with what I have.

Comment

I only have 4.10's and an stock transfer case with 33's. It is really close to stock gearing on 31's. You should not have to lug it that bad. Keep the rpms up over 1K. Sometimes I three pedel it but just to gain a little traction.

BTW do you have the 2.5L or the 4.0L?
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                          Scott (Dezertdog) is absolutly right!

" It's all about finessing the skinny pedal! "

I got my '93 YJ with a 4 Cyl / 5 Speed / Open Diff's and it's still that way at the moment,... and I've taken it through some craaaaaazy stuff!!!

My suggestion is to learn to drive it first! Learn your Jeeps limits, learn it's strengths and learn how to finesse it through the harder stuff before you go getting "all gun ho" about upgrading it! (...are you listening Ron?? )

I've driven my Jeep the way it is now for years and I've learned how to drive it!! I can get it through almost anything now a days with little or no trouble! Not to say the strap doesn't need to come out now and again...... but, It's very rare these days!

I just recently got everything I need to up the rear of mine to a Super 35 with an e-locker and 4.88's to re-gear the front and rear. I just need some help installing it! (Hint Hint... Art!!!)

But I know,.... even after the I do the upgrade, I wont change the way I've learned to drive it! Because I've learned how to finesse the hard stuff with out it for sooooo long, I know that having all this new stuff will just be icing on the cake!

Just my :2:

See ya, Scott
                          One word....Proactive :tongue::hide:

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                            I only have 4.10's and an stock transfer case with 33's. It is really close to stock gearing on 31's. You should not have to lug it that bad. Keep the rpms up over 1K. Sometimes I three pedel it but just to gain a little traction.

It's a 4.0L. I added a sig line to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
                              Tire and gear chart

Comment

Working...
                              X