Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost done! All I have left is to install the frame tie in's. I need to pick up a couple of bolts, but hopefully I'll get to that in the next couple of days.

The install is not too bad, but I'll give you a couple of tips that I learned along the way.

1. You will need to drop the windsheild to install the dash bar. So disregard what the instructions say, and do not reattach the side bars to the windshield until after you have installed the dash bar. You'll need to tighten the dash bar while the windshield is down seeing that you can't reach the back bolts with it up.

2. Do everything at once. I had to go back to install the floor mounts behind the dash (I ended up with 2 driver's sides and didn't realize it until I was half way in). I thought I'd just be able to remove the 3 dash bolts on each side and line up the supports behind the dash . . . WRONG. As soon as you pull the dash bolts everything pulls inwards and you have to loosen everything, which included, dropping the windshield agian and having to line everything back up. Lining up the windsheild was the biggest pain in the ass of the whole job for me.

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
    I want to do this to our Jeep at some point in the near future. Any pics?
    Here you go, Nathan!

Last thing to do . . .
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Thanks for the information... I have an 06 Unlimited that I want to do the same install so I appreciate you sharing.

Comment

What was the cost? 1 to a 5 hammer (5 being difficult). How hard was it?

Comment

Did you add the rear upper cross bar? I put one on my sons TJ (rest to come when he has the cash) but couldn't get it to fit properly where I think it is supposed to go. we just located it forward a few inches of the curved portion of factory cage and tightened it up for now.

Comment

Originally posted by JJsKJ View Post
            Did you add the rear upper cross bar? I put one on my sons TJ (rest to come when he has the cash) but couldn't get it to fit properly where I think it is supposed to go. we just located it forward a few inches of the curved portion of factory cage and tightened it up for now.
            No . . . I might add one of those in the future, but was really just looking to strenghen the front cab area.

Comment

Hey is the floor tie in something new that they offer?

I dont remember seeing that before in the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
                Hey is the floor tie in something new that they offer?

I dont remember seeing that before in the kit.
                I'm not sure if they are new or not, but the Floor Mounts and Frame Tie-ins are sold separate.

Comment

ok cool what was the final cost?

Thinking of this route or the welded on kind.

Comment

ok cool what was the final cost?

Thinking of this route or the welded on kind.
                    I am looking at the Rockhard cage and the GenRight cage and was recently told that if you have your rig insured and you are in an accident where your factory cage has been welded to or replaced there may be issues collecting. This of course would not apply if you are rock crawling as I doubt that is covered anyway unless you can come up with a really good story but just something to think about.

Comment

I've got around 8 bills in it at this point, parts + powder coating. I got lucky and found sweet deal on a set of new Frame Tie-Ins from a guy on another board. I'll probably throw another 100 into it and add the rear support bar and be done w/ it. So all in it'll be about 900 bucks when I'm done. It wasn't an easy decision as there are some really nice weld in kits out there, but I'm not a welder and from what I was looking at, the nice set ups are ~1000 bucks and I'd still need to find a skilled and trusted welder and have to paint or powder coat the thing. After seeing a couple recent rolls, I wanted something now . . . And after a couple weekends spent wrenchin', I'm looking forward to hitting the trail agian!

So where we going? :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                        I've got around 8 bills in it at this point, parts + powder coating. I got lucky and found sweet deal on a set of new Frame Tie-Ins from a guy on another board. I'll probably throw another 100 into it and add the rear support bar and be done w/ it. So all in it'll be about 900 bucks when I'm done. It wasn't an easy decision as there are some really nice weld in kits out there, but I'm not a welder and from what I was looking at, the nice set ups are ~1000 bucks and I'd still need to find a skilled and trusted welder and have to paint or powder coat the thing. After seeing a couple recent rolls, I wanted something now . . . And after a couple weekends spent wrenchin', I'm looking forward to hitting the trail agian!

So where we going? :dunno:
                        Do you have the angle bars as well as the main sports cage? Where did you get your cage from?

Comment

Originally posted by RubiKat View Post
                          Do you have the angle bars as well as the main sports cage? Where did you get your cage from?

I haven't added anything to the back yet. I'll probably add the rear spreader bar, but I don't run a back seat so was more concerned with securing the front cabin. I bought the basic cage and added on the floor mounts and frame tie-ins. New2Image ran a thread a month or so ago here on MJR and put together a group buy & powdercoating deal. Hit him up as he might be do another if there is any interest . . . I'll probably jump on the next one and get that spreader bar.

Comment

the rockhard gage comes in bare steel?

Comment

the rockhard gage comes in bare steel?
                              Yes it is bare and then you can paint or powder coat.

Comment

looks good man. you installed this yourself. pretty easy huh??
                                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                                X