Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockHard Cage Install

I'm preparing for my RockHard cage install and was hoping for some advice from those that have done this themselves. First of all, will I need to mess with the special safety/tamper-proof torx bolt that is on the side bars (the one that looks like a torx, but has the circle in the middle)? If so . . . what is it called and where can I buy one . . . my local autosupply didn't have any and gave me the deer in the headlights look when I inquired about it. Also, will I need to drop the windshield and if so, what is the proper procedure? Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated. Still deciding on whether to replace the stock padding or to paint the stock cage seeing that the cheap asses over at Crysler decided not to paint the whole thing!:mad:
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
    I'm preparing for my RockHard cage install and was hoping for some advice from those that have done this themselves. First of all, will I need to mess with the special safety/tamper-proof torx bolt that is on the side bars (the one that looks like a torx, but has the circle in the middle)? If so . . . what is it called and where can I buy one . . . my local autosupply didn't have any and gave me the deer in the headlights look when I inquired about it. Also, will I need to drop the windshield and if so, what is the proper procedure? Any advice you guys can provide would be appreciated. Still deciding on whether to replace the stock padding or to paint the stock cage seeing that the cheap asses over at Crysler decided not to paint the whole thing!:mad:
    Those are called security torx. I would say Sears and I think Harbor Freight should have them. Last time I needed some and didn't have some to open my microwave I took a punch and hammer to the inside pins and snapped them off.

Take off the 2 torx each side from the cage bars that mount to the windshield frame, then 2 side ones, 1 on each side that are by the hinge and come from the side. I believe they are the ones that are not counter sunk. Drop it down if your Hi-Lift is not mounted on the hood, if not remove it.
    YJ Stock
    BROSANDSISEMBROIDERY.COM

Comment

One problem I ran into when installing my Rockhard Cage was the dash bar. While the instructions say nothing, and the bar is not marked in any way, it CAN be installed incorrectly.

When I called Rockhard to ask WHY the dash bar is bowing (yeah, it was THAT tight)...they examined the program that welds the ends, and found it is 2 degrees in one direction. Obviously, I had installed mine upside down...so I had to tear it down, and redo it.

Just a heads up.

Also, I took the allen wrench for all those allen bolts, and cut it so I could use my electric drill/screwdriver to start all them allen bolts! Not enough torque to tighten, but to get them started and snug.

Comment

Picked up the cage parts yesterday. Heading down to the garage after my next cup of coffee to get started. One of my neighbors (not the crazy one) brought me a 12 pack yesterday for breaking into her place the other day when she locked her keys inside so I should be all set!!! Swing on by if you're in the neighborhood and have a cold one!

From what the instructions say, it doesn't look like I need to drop the windshield or mess with the security torx. Still going back and forth on whether or not to replace the padding or paint the cage...decisions...decisions.

Comment

Got Phase One complete . . . installed the cage, but didn't do the Floor Mounts or Frame Tie Ins. Looks like I ended up with two Driver Side Floor Mounts so I'll need to swap one of them out for a Passenger. The install wasn't too bad . . . I ended up having to drop the windshield to get to the bolts for the dash bar. Decided to cut and replace the padding and it actually turned out better than I thought it would. Still need to cut and trim the windshield side covers.

Has anyone installed the Floor Mounts on the Rock Hard kit? I attempted to get the Driver Side plate that goes behind the dash lined up, but couldn't seem to get it into the right spot. It seems like the door open sensor is in the way. I'd also be curious to see what you guys did about the plug...the instructions say you can bend the bracket out of the way and then bend it back.

Comment

Those floor mounts are a pain in the @ss! I just removed the door open sensors and had to massage the sheetmetal with a BFH to get them in right, then lining them up... you gotta get a drift pin, a tap and some :beer: then make sure yer wires are the way you want them routed before you get 'em in, because otherwise you'll just say :censor: it! like I did :devil: good luck!

oh, they are worth it though, they are nice once you get 'em in...
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
              Those floor mounts are a pain in the @ss! I just removed the door open sensors and had to massage the sheetmetal with a BFH to get them in right, then lining them up... you gotta get a drift pin, a tap and some :beer: then make sure yer wires are the way you want them routed before you get 'em in, because otherwise you'll just say :censor: it! like I did :devil: good luck!

oh, they are worth it though, they are nice once you get 'em in...
              I didn't spend to much time messing with the floor mounts. I was getting pretty spent after installing everything else. Having noticed that I had two Driver's Sides and seeing that the instructions said to try the passenger side first as it is simpler, I just messed with it for a couple of minutes before deciding to just use the little backing plates for now. I should be swapping one of these for a passenger one in the next day or two, so I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes before messing with the driver side. Did you bend the bracket for the ECM hook up out of the way or did you chop it?

Comment

my bad, I got a YJ... no ECM for me to mess with, but I would try bending before I chopped anything :2:

Comment

The bracket for the obd2 plug you can bend it to clear is what I did on mine when I installed my cage

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    The bracket for the obd2 plug you can bend it to clear is what I did on mine when I installed my cage
                    Does it bend out of the way pretty easily? The pics on the write up I saw looked messy. I was thinking it might just be easier/cleaner to chop the bracket and locate the plug somewhere new. Any tricks that you can share for installing the floor mounts and frame tie ins? I'll probably be tackling that in the next few days.

Comment

I want to do this to our Jeep at some point in the near future. Any pics?
                      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Either bend the bracket or cut it of and have Josh weld it in another spot. Bending worked fine for me

Comment

How'd the install go??? Sorry I would have loved to drop by and lend a hand ( or drink a beer! ) but we had family visiting from Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinLA Eh View Post
                            How'd the install go??? Sorry I would have loved to drop by and lend a hand ( or drink a beer! ) but we had family visiting from Canada!
                            The install went pretty well. Would have been better if I dropped the windshield to begin with rather than having to do it later anyway and having to readjust everything, but all in all it went together pretty well. Just did some chopping on my windshield side peices to get them to fit last night, so now I've got my visors again and that clean look. Still need to swap out one of my floor mounts so I can install those and the frame tie-ins. Looking forward to getting back on the trail after these last few wrenching sessions! I'll try to post up some pics later this week.

Comment

the first thing I did after I got my Rock Hard cage installed is break a leaf spring. The second thing I did was roll. Just keep in mind that the cage will give you a lil more "confidence" :devil:

Comment

Working...
                              X