Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say to reduce fan noise and harmonics

Comment

My engine temp would get hot, especially on hot days up steep grates. I installed those louvers and I have to say they work really well. I say 20 f cooler, and I've never felt my cab any warmer.

Comment

Scott,

yes it was for balance and quiet.

Mitch

Comment

At first I agree with the quiet and balance. But, then what throws me off is the black fan (new) is a OEM (OEM number posted above) from Jeep for a 4.0l Wrangler. Did Jeep fix a previous problem?

Comment

Ron,

Thanks for the part number info. I'm going to pick up a 7 blade fan next week just for giggles. If it runs a little cooler that would be great. I will still stay with the 195' Robertshaw
            non-spring thermostat. With the "high flow" water pump I run, it stuck and bent the spring on a non brand name thermostat. So I'll leave that alone.

Well it's off to the Hammers this morning, Running 210 degrees the whole way!

Mitch

Comment

If my theory is right, it will not run cooler. It just will not run hotter than you have seen on the trail. The 180* stat opens sooner, with the new fan blowing more and it does, it cools the coolant sooner and enough to maintain a 180* temp without climbing to 195*. Remember, thats how the cooling system works. Get coolant out of the engine block, into the radiator and cool it down! That why guys that tow sometimes get high temps of 210-225*. Engine is hot, thus the coolant is hot. What do they do to control that? An aux fan! What happens? Coolant drops back down to where the t-stat opens 195-205* because there is enough cooler air now with the extra fan to cool that coolant down. Follow?

Here is some questions I don't know. But "assume". A factory 195* t-stat starts to open at 195*. As a performance 180* is fully open at 180* If this is correct, this explains a lot too. As the 195* starts to open at 195* and full opens at around 200-205* thus the reason you see 210* I also removed the copper plug on my 180* stat as well, so coolant is always flowing. While a very small amount, there is something flowing through the 1/16-3/16" hole.

The trick to this or my theory is, get the coolant open sooner, get more air on it to cool it down and it maintains the temp when/where this happens (IE; 180*)

So, try it out. If you see no change and still see 210* but never gets above 210* (as you stated before it has on trails), my theory was right! You need to open the valve and let coolant out sooner to cool it down and maintain a new temp of 180* or if you have a 195* stat like you do, it maintains it with more air flowing from new fan. Which is still a score for you.

Test it with a digital read out to make sure your guage is right before you post your findings.

If your doing this for :poop: and giggles. then get the 180* stat at AutoZone for $5 and put it in. Takes 5min. Install then new fan and see what you get Your OBD I, nothing is going to happen. If I am right, case proven, then take it out and your out $5. If not, use my pictures, they speak a thousand words. Second pic shows the jeep in motion, much cooler than 210* and the first pic shows the guage is right My system is running good No complaints.

210* is really close to 225-230* if it gets hot outside. You have told me you have seen it rise above 210* on a trail before. 225-230* is where you start engine damage according to Ken the fabricator we both know. Also, according to Ken, if your seeing high temps on a trail, it's lack of air movement. To me his advice hold a little more weight than A-Action. He's in the ball park on his all around knowledge. This is why I did the mod I did and don't see anything above 185* on a trail and we have seen some hot days! I asked Ken about an electric fan (remember the one I bought) and if it was a good idea. He told me if I want it to run cooler, get a bigger fan blade, and a HD clutch. So, I did He was right, it worked. I would never have thought of the idea until he mentioned it. So, he does get credit for this.

In conclusion, the new fan is going to blow and move more air and maintain your temp according to your t-stat. Which for you is good as you have seen above 210* on your guage. So, you should maintain your 195-210* (not sure where your new stat fully opens) on the trail. For me, that would be the 180* since I have a lower t-stat.

Good luck and have a safe run!
              Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-26-09, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm...... Very Interesting, But,......[COLOR="Red"] WHATEVER!!!! [/COLOR]

We can all Theorize and Speculate until the cows come home!

It's a Jeep, They always run a little hot! Especially on the trail where your going slower and not moving a lot of air! You put all that crap on your Jeep (Big tires, Lift, all that extra weight!) and tax your stock cooling system and expect it not to have an increase in engine temp???

Com'on!! I noticed an increase in the temp as soon as I started modifying my Jeep. And I guess it sure doesn't help that I have a huge Winch and off road lights sitting right in front of the radiator either!

A few days ago I noticed that my temps were getting a bit higher than normal so, I checked the fan. I found that my fan clutch took a crap. I replaced it with OEM parts and it's back to normal now. I have a 195* thermostat (Which is what I've always run!) and it starts to open at 195* runs up to about 210* and drops right back down under 195* I can pretty much set my watch by it.

Another perfect example: I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250 dirt bike, It's liquid cooled. If I'm out riding and I stop along the trail and leave it idling it WILL overheat and puke radiator fluid. The slower I go, the hotter it gets.....No air movement = overheating. Just a fact.

I have and idea.... If you could set up an auxiliary radiator with dual electric fans in the back of the Jeep between the roll bars and then maybe it would run at 85* and the problem would be solved! wait, that won't work either,.... Then the heater wouldn't work right in the winter and I'd freeze!! Never mind!!!

All this "Theory" and speculation is HOOEY! [COLOR="red"]"Stop Posting,... Let's Ride!" [/COLOR] Damn it!

Just my :2: No disrespect intended Ron!

Scott :devil:
                Last edited by avjeepfreek; 09-28-09, 09:53 AM.
                "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                  Hmmmmmmmm...... Very Interesting, But,......[COLOR="Red"] WHATEVER!!!! [/COLOR]

It's a Jeep, They always run a little hot Disagree! Especially on the trail where your going slower and not moving a lot of air Mine doesn't! You put all that crap on your stock Jeep (Big tires, Lift, all that extra weight!) and expect it not to have an increase in engine temp. Com'on!! My ford F250 was lifted taller than your jeep without issue and my Avalanche as well, so yes I do I noticed an increase in the temp as soon as I started modifying my Jeep. And I guess it sure doesn't help that I have a huge Winch sitting right in front of the radiator either I would say that has a lot to do with it!
                  A few days ago I noticed that my temps were getting a bit higher than normal so, I checked the fan. I found that my fan clutch took a crap I know, you called me. I replaced it with OEM parts and it's back to normal now. I have a 195* thermostat (Which is what I've always run!) and it starts to open at 195* runs up to about 210* and drops right back down under 195* I can pretty much set my watch by it.

Another perfect example: I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250 dirt bike, It's liquid cooled. If I'm out riding and I stop along the trail and leave it idling it WILL overheat and puke radiator fluid Those radiator are too small. Another thread on that one. The slower I go, the hotter it gets.....No air movement = overheating. Just a fact. Correct, thus the reason for a bigger fan
                  All this "Theory" and speculation is HOOEY! Agree, that's why I posted picts. They don't lie. A theory is just that. But pictures tell a 1,000 words. You must agree [COLOR="red"]"Stop Posting,... Let's Ride!" [/COLOR] Damn it! Why does that bother you and Mitch? I leave it just to rattle both your gages
                  Just my :2: No disrespect intended Ron! Non taken, sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed is all.
                  Scott :devil:
                  Replied in bold above.....Ron
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-28-09, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by avjeepfreek
                    Hmmmmmmmm...... Very Interesting, But,...... WHATEVER!!!!

It's a Jeep, They always run a little hot Disagree![COLOR="red"] Sorry My bad,.. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about![/COLOR] Especially on the trail where your going slower and not moving a lot of air Mine doesn't! [COLOR="red"]Cuz you keep screwing with it! [/COLOR] You put all that crap on your stock Jeep (Big tires, Lift, all that extra weight!) and expect it not to have an increase in engine temp. Com'on!! My ford F250 was lifted taller than your jeep without issue and my Avalanche as well, so yes I do [COLOR="red"]You can't compare Apples and Oranges!!! [/COLOR] I noticed an increase in the temp as soon as I started modifying my Jeep. And I guess it sure doesn't help that I have a huge Winch sitting right in front of the radiator either I would say that has a lot to do with it! [COLOR="red"]Your probably right [/COLOR]
                    A few days ago I noticed that my temps were getting a bit higher than normal so, I checked the fan. I found that my fan clutch took a crap I know, you called me. [COLOR="red"]Your right again![/COLOR] I replaced it with OEM parts and it's back to normal now. I have a 195* thermostat (Which is what I've always run!) and it starts to open at 195* runs up to about 210* and drops right back down under 195* I can pretty much set my watch by it.

Another perfect example: I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250 dirt bike, It's liquid cooled. If I'm out riding and I stop along the trail and leave it idling it WILL overheat and puke radiator fluid Those radiator are too small. Another thread on that one. [COLOR="red"]Guess I need to stop comparing Apples to Oranges too![/COLOR] The slower I go, the hotter it gets.....No air movement = overheating. Just a fact. Correct, thus the reason for a bigger fan [COLOR="red"]OKAY!?[/COLOR]
                    All this "Theory" and speculation is HOOEY! Agree, that's why I posted picts. They don't lie. A theory is just that. But pictures tell a 1,000 words. You must agree [COLOR="red"] I don't,.... but that's Okay too I guess![/COLOR]

"Stop Posting,... Let's Ride!" Damn it! Why does that bother you and Mitch? I leave it just to rattle both your gages [COLOR="red"]Hey, It's your Quote!,... Doesn't bother me a bit, I just think it's funny![/COLOR]

Just my No disrespect intended Ron! Non taken, sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed is all. [COLOR="red"] Nope,.... [/COLOR]

Scott

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                    Replied in bold above.....Ron
                    Re - Replied in Red above....

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                      Originally Posted by avjeepfreek
                      Hmmmmmmmm...... Very Interesting, But,...... WHATEVER!!!!

It's a Jeep, They always run a little hot Disagree![COLOR="red"] Sorry My bad,.. Guess I don't know what I'm talking about![/COLOR] Especially on the trail where your going slower and not moving a lot of air Mine doesn't! [COLOR="red"]Cuz you keep screwing with it! [/COLOR] You put all that crap on your stock Jeep (Big tires, Lift, all that extra weight!) and expect it not to have an increase in engine temp. Com'on!! My ford F250 was lifted taller than your jeep without issue and my Avalanche as well, so yes I do [COLOR="red"]You can't compare Apples and Oranges!!! [/COLOR] I noticed an increase in the temp as soon as I started modifying my Jeep. And I guess it sure doesn't help that I have a huge Winch sitting right in front of the radiator either I would say that has a lot to do with it! [COLOR="red"]Your probably right [/COLOR]
                      A few days ago I noticed that my temps were getting a bit higher than normal so, I checked the fan. I found that my fan clutch took a crap I know, you called me. [COLOR="red"]Your right again![/COLOR] I replaced it with OEM parts and it's back to normal now. I have a 195* thermostat (Which is what I've always run!) and it starts to open at 195* runs up to about 210* and drops right back down under 195* I can pretty much set my watch by it.

Another perfect example: I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250 dirt bike, It's liquid cooled. If I'm out riding and I stop along the trail and leave it idling it WILL overheat and puke radiator fluid Those radiator are too small. Another thread on that one. [COLOR="red"]Guess I need to stop comparing Apples to Oranges too![/COLOR] The slower I go, the hotter it gets.....No air movement = overheating. Just a fact. Correct, thus the reason for a bigger fan [COLOR="red"]OKAY!?[/COLOR]
                      All this "Theory" and speculation is HOOEY! Agree, that's why I posted picts. They don't lie. A theory is just that. But pictures tell a 1,000 words. You must agree [COLOR="red"] I don't,.... but that's Okay too I guess![/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]So, you think I photo shop the pictures or? Confused. Your more than welcome to come over and drive it. When MJR isn't a topic, you and I usually have meaningful conversation.[/COLOR]
                      "Stop Posting,... Let's Ride!" Damn it! Why does that bother you and Mitch? I leave it just to rattle both your gages [COLOR="red"]Hey, It's your Quote!,... Doesn't bother me a bit, I just think it's funny![/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Me too. That's why it's on there [/COLOR]
                      Just my No disrespect intended Ron! Non taken, sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed is all. [COLOR="red"] Nope,.... [/COLOR]

Scott

Re - Replied in Red above....
                      Replied in blue.

Comment

Blame me for perpetuating the thread. I will let you guys argue about what temp you want your jeeps to run. I will stick with the factory recommended 210 deg. BUT on the trail with all this extra gear I want to keep my jeep at 210 and not 230. So although I will not use all of Ron’s tricks I am interested in a more efficient fan. Not worth arguing about. I would shut up and wheel but unfortunately I have to work all week. But when I can’t wheel I like to figure out how to make my rig more capable and more reliable. So Ill shut up and wheel when Saturday comes.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

All right kids.....

Too funny. I'll stop posting cause I have to go back to work! LMAO. As far as theory goes: Don't be alarmed by my two photo's. 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 V8, HD Cooling and Towing Package, And running like a Jeep!
                          210' driving down Main Street in Hesperia this morning. Ain't nothing but a Jeep thing.

Mitch

Just the way it is!

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                            Blame me for perpetuating the thread. I will let you guys argue about what temp you want your jeeps to run. I will stick with the factory recommended 210 deg. BUT on the trail with all this extra gear I want to keep my jeep at 210 and not 230. So although I will not use all of Ron’s tricks I am interested in a more efficient fan. Not worth arguing about. I would shut up and wheel but unfortunately I have to work all week. But when I can’t wheel I like to figure out how to make my rig more capable and more reliable. So Ill shut up and wheel when Saturday comes.
                            Bravo! X2
                            STOP POSTING LET'S WHEEL!

Scott
                            Last edited by Dezertdog; 09-28-09, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Make that x3! Well said Scott!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Agreed X4 .......

Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X