X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine runs around 210 is a 2006 4 popper

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainSavi View Post
      I might have missed it, but what should the temp by on a 2006 Wrangler X 4 cylinder?

I also found no change in engine temp after the louvers I installed.
      The change didn't happen until I put the 180* stat (removed small 1/16 copper plug) and then upgraded the fan on it (7 blade). I also put a haynes heavy duty fan clutch on. Pictures were included. My temp on the dash runs at 177-185* just where I personally like it.

As for the heat I felt (when temp was good) was the headlights! I had put some aftermarket ones on and didn't switch to a cooler hid bulb. Thus the grill got hot. I fixed it and problem solved.

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-24-09, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Ron you'll think I'm insane but I have had my Jeep for 8 months now and I still havent fixed my temp guage or my fuel guage. I know, I know, its on my list. It just seems like there is alwayse something more important.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          Ron you'll think I'm insane but I have had my Jeep for 8 months now and I still havent fixed my temp guage or my fuel guage. I know, I know, its on my list. It just seems like there is alwayse something more important.
          You're funny Scott! So do you put "x" gas in and check the mileage to see if your low? We had a car years ago, after it got low on gas 1/4 tank it wasn't accurate. So, we would do the mileage trick. Never ran out of gas

Comment

Yup. I know I can get 250 miles on a tank. So at 200 miles I look for a fuel stop.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Yup. I know I can get 250 miles on a tank. So at 200 miles I look for a fuel stop.
              Yep! Did the same.

Comment

Savi,

How have you been? Haven't seen you for a while. Only 90% of the Jeeps run at 210'. And that is the normal running temp. My Howell Fuel Injection requires a 195' thermostat. And it always runs 210' with the hood vents and everything else. Drive it and don't be ANAL! I heard that some shoot the temp with a digital gauge and get all nervous. Just drive and have fun. 210' is the norm. I'll give you a call about some new trails that I've found. Time to kick it up a notch. Look forward to seeing you again.

Mitch

Comment

You'll find guys that have done louvers, to aluminum radiators, fan clutches, etc and get nothing as they didn't research it enough. Then call it anal. Same guys who can't change a light bulb in the jeep.

Anyway, remember, hypertech sells a 160* stat and a 180* for the vehicles chipped. They have engineers that have tested this sort of thing and feel a lower temp does some good Talk to some guys that have rat rods, to hot rods, most actually run a 160* t-stat. Of course those guys are pre OBD II and even OBD I. If your a OBD I (as stated on another thread I started) you can run a 180*. Add the bigger fan (PN: 55037650AA) and a HD clutch then your good to go! :thumbs_up

Here is some good reading
                  http://www.quadratec.com/products/17699_00.htm
                  The factory 195 degree thermostat simply cycles open and closed, this reduces cooling efficiency in any engine. With the JET 180 degree thermostat you get consistent engine cooling and a precise metering of water throughout the engine
                  Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-25-09, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Ron, Thanks for the info. I'll have to investigate that further. I went with the State Approved info from the guys that made the Howell Fuel Injection setup sent to me as well as the guy's at A ACTION AUTOMOTIVE in Hesperia that smog vehicles for a living and stated that the Howell Injection needs the required 195' thermostat to pass smog, which it did without any problems. Always good to have a different opinion, you can't always go with the experts!

Mitch

Comment

I am curious as to why Howell says it needs a 195* stat? When Jet and Hypertech disagree. One is fuel and the other is coolant and engine temp. When you get a change ask them.

As for A-ACTION they are a sore spot for me as you know. They said you needed fuel injectors and you paid. Then later found out it wasn't needed. Then I went and they said I needed a top end because of a noise I heard in the exhaust. I did the top end and noise was still there. They then said that is a common noise "flutter" on a 4.0l after I took it back. They did comment on how much power it had after though When I left he did say try fuel injection cleaner to fix it. Wish he would have said that before I did the top end. $2 vs $600. Hummmmmm.

As for the smog guys, as stated on my other post I have ran 180* stat for ever. Since the early 90's and always passed smog. Actually, the stock temp on my 2004 Avalanche 5.3L is 184*! Yes, I left it. I wasn't going to pay to reduce it 4* But, funny how that is so close to 180* stat. I would LOVE to pick the brain of a GM engineer on why they reduced it from 195* to a 184*? Things that make you go hummmmmm.
                      Last edited by Jeep4cern; 09-24-09, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I'll look into it it. Concidering that Jet and Hypertech didn't design the system that replaced the stock carb on an 88 YJ with a fuel injection system that was CARB exempt and street legal. It seems to me that that a lower temp thermostat just opens earlier and doesn't effect the final running temp, just prevents it for a minute or two. Still 90% of the Jeeps that I have driven or rode in run 210'.

Mitch

Comment

You are correct if you have an electric fan. I did some research That isn't true if you have a clutch fan. That's why my jeep runs cooler.

I put a 180* in the Dodge. Electric fan. It runs at 195-210*. Why? The coolant opens, but the fan is off and doesn't cool the coolant down until 200-210* when the electric fan comes on.

Now, on the other hand, the jeep has a manual "clutch" fan where is it always on. So, the coolant is always keeping cool as it travels into the engine and back to the radiator. So, I am achieving on the jeep at 180* as to the Dodge at 200* when the fan kicks on.

That's why the Dodge is running at 195-210* with a 180* stat, and the jeep runs at 177-185* with a 180* stat. Make sense?

Comment

Running higher engine temps helps burn fuel more Efficiently. Higher temps help with fuel atomization. The hotrod guys that are running 165 stats are pre smog and are looking for power. Cooler engines mean more power becaus it keeps the intake air more dense. Hotrod guys don't mind the sweet smell of unburnt racing fuel comming out of the tailpipe. I say don't go green, go blue(blue smoke that is).
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Running higher engine temps helps burn fuel more Efficiently. Higher temps help with fuel atomization. The hotrod guys that are running 165 stats are pre smog and are looking for power. Cooler engines mean more power becaus it keeps the intake air more dense. Hotrod guys don't mind the sweet smell of unburnt racing fuel comming out of the tailpipe. I say don't go green, go blue(blue smoke that is).
                              lol! Yes, their pre ODB I and OBD II (no computers or smog). I personally like the engine running cooler. Last longer and safer. Ever have a engine over heat or close? It runs so bad, loss of power, etc. Not good.

I usually run fuel injection cleaner through my gas tank and cleaner through my oil to keep my engine clean. I put 1qt of ATF in, let it idle for 30min. and change. Oil is clear and clean on the dip stick. I used to run 1qt of ATF in my gas tank for my injectors on my deiesel truck. Keep them clean. Many guys do that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                                Does anyone know the reasoning behind the odd spacing in the stock fan. My shop foreman told me it was to reduce fan noise. I have read that the VAST majority of noise from a fan comes from the tip of the fan blade. But would a fan with the same number of blades that was evenly spaced be any quieter? Maybe the spacing is to break up the harmonic balance of the blade? Any ideas?
                                Those left standing
                                Will make millions
                                Writing books on ways
                                It should have been
                                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                                X