Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
    ESPECIALLY in hot desert temps, your TJ's engine will run no cooler with a 180 degree thermostat than it will with the factory specified 195 degree thermostat. Thermostats don't help to keep an engine cooler in hot weather, they only help it to warm up faster in cold weather. At least when comparing different temperature model thermostats. An engine will run hotter with no thermostat since the coolant flows too fast and doesn't have time to pick up as much heat.

With both a 180 and 195 degree thermostat both being WIDE open at the normal 210 operating temperature, do you see now why it's not going to run any cooler with a 180 degree thermostat? Remember, BOTH are WIDE OPEN at the normal/designed for 210 degrees.

I understand 100% I do. I just like the 180* as it opens SOONER to get a jump start on the heat.

I also don't remember 100%. But, I think 185 is when it start to open and also with 195*. But, I assume at 210* they are both wide open.

It's funny, when I was a kid. I had my first truck. It was a 1977 Datsun p/u. The t-stat went out on my way to my GF house. Her dad told me just to take out out for a quick fix. I did. That truck ALWAYS ran cool. Now, I was never in the desert, and we lived not to far from the beach. But, up here, your right. It would pass to quick through the radiator.

Comment

Working...
    X