Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat...

Well, I replaced the coolant and thermostat in wife car. Well, twice now the rubber seal that goes around the thermostat has broke and it has leaked. I replaced the whole unit under warranty both times. What gives? Fresh coolant. It doesn't over heat or anything. Is the thermostat I am getting just junk? Auto Zone was the only one who had it. Made by valuecraft. Should I keep the thermostat and see if Napa has the o-ring? Maybe it's made better? Or?

Get her a jeep ron!! :d

Comment

Lmao!

Comment

If it was me, i would buy the thermostat from the dealer and be done with it. If your rather buy the aftermarket thermostat from a auto parts store, I would use some high temp RTV and be done with it.

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
        Well, I replaced the coolant and thermostat in wife car. Well, twice now the rubber seal that goes around the thermostat has broke and it has leaked. I replaced the whole unit under warranty both times. What gives? Fresh coolant. It doesn't over heat or anything. Is the thermostat I am getting just junk? Auto Zone was the only one who had it. Made by valuecraft. Should I keep the thermostat and see if Napa has the o-ring? Maybe it's made better? Or?
        Drew
        95yj Six Pack

Comment

This is the o-ring that goes around the t-stat. If I use RTV. Do I ditch the o-ring then? That is also the part that is giving me a headache. It keeps tearing in there.
          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 07-11-09, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Yep, It will seal it just like on the Jeep axle diff covers. No more leaky.
            Drew
            95yj Six Pack

Comment

Robertshaw highflow thermostat. The best out there, and the only one to run with my high flow water pump! The flow stuck and colapsed the spring on the other style t-stat. Robertshaw doesn't use the traditional spring. No leaky!

Comment

I wonder why it tears and leaks after one trip down the hill? I might just RTV it an be done. I'll have to see if it moves around a lot without the o-ring in the housing.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  robertshaw highflow thermostat. The best out there, and the only one to run with my high flow water pump!
                  what?! High flow water pump? They make those? Damn it. I just did my pump and thermo a month ago. Does it make much difference in temp, mitch?

Comment

Are you taking the time to carefully remove ALL (!) of the old gasket material before installing the new gasket? If that mounting surface isn't 100% clean, you can expect leakage.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Well. I went to Kragen. They had a seal that "seem" to fit in better. I also noticed while showing the clerk there the t-stat only goes in one way beside the o-ring. So, you have to align both! So, you align the t-state, then align the rubber o-ring with the tab. That could have been my error. But, to be safe. I ordered the new oring and RTV Well see what happens.

Comment

Hi, hope you replaced the t/stat with the what the factory says you should use temp. wise that is. the Jeep will run better and it's better for the engine in the long run.
                        Helps with smog too(eng. runs "cleaner")
                        Respectfully,
                        LG
                        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I didn't I am a fan of the 180* t-stats. Been running them for ever. Even Chevy runs a 184* stat in the avalanche I have stock. Living in the desert with 116* in Aug, I like it to cool down sooner. Just my preference. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

ESPECIALLY in hot desert temps, your TJ's engine will run no cooler with a 180 degree thermostat than it will with the factory specified 195 degree thermostat. Thermostats don't help to keep an engine cooler in hot weather, they only help it to warm up faster in cold weather. At least when comparing different temperature model thermostats. An engine will run hotter with no thermostat since the coolant flows too fast and doesn't have time to pick up as much heat.

With both a 180 and 195 degree thermostat both being WIDE open at the normal 210 operating temperature, do you see now why it's not going to run any cooler with a 180 degree thermostat? Remember, BOTH are WIDE OPEN at the normal/designed for 210 degrees.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                              ESPECIALLY in hot desert temps, your TJ's engine will run no cooler with a 180 degree thermostat than it will with the factory specified 195 degree thermostat. Thermostats don't help to keep an engine cooler in hot weather, they only help it to warm up faster in cold weather. At least when comparing different temperature model thermostats. An engine will run hotter with no thermostat since the coolant flows too fast and doesn't have time to pick up as much heat.

With both a 180 and 195 degree thermostat both being WIDE open at the normal 210 operating temperature, do you see now why it's not going to run any cooler with a 180 degree thermostat? Remember, BOTH are WIDE OPEN at the normal/designed for 210 degrees.
                              Well put Jerry, Right on the money!

Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X