• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
    Ask Inverted above.
    what does this even mean?:dunno:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
      my point is... no one knows which shocks are best for his needs as he hasn't stated what they are yet.
      if he likes to hit the speed bumps at the mall at a higher speed, would make a specific shock or valving more desirable over a shock that is good for flexing over the boulders, or hauling ass across the whoops.

all i see here is people recommending the shocks they have for their rigs, or something they read about on the internet.

so...... what do you plan to do with your rig?

Still a can of worms If he says he does "rock crawling" half a dozen will give their opinion on what is good or what not. He is says (which his profile says different) he just goes to "malls" half a dozen will give another opinion.

Probably the best thing is to jump into someone's jeep on a trail ride and check a few out. If your going for that type of shock.

Shocks are one of those things, that there is so many different "rides" that's why there is so many different companies. Like the RS5000, regardless of rocks, to the mall, I personally wouldn't buy them.

I am sure after, he will post what he wants to do, and the type of ride he wants to help at least narrow some down.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
        what does this even mean?:dunno:
        As stated above, he has those style of shocks "bilstein 5100" on a jeep.

Comment

what does this mean?

Ask Inverted above, and he will answer you below.

Mr. Nailer,

As Jeep4Cern pointed out, I run Bilstein 5100s. And yes, I recommended them unqualifyingly, because I believe they'll be the best bang for the buck for anything he is likely to do with the Jeep in his profile--or most any Jeep, for that matter. I'll put my 3 year old 5100s up against any shock costing twice as much.

I've actually talked at some length with the folks at Bilstein about their various shocks and about valving for the Jeep TJ in particular. Valving for the 5100s is application-specific; Bilstein has done a lot of testing on real-world, built Jeeps to get a good balance between stiffness and suppleness.

5100s work great on all types of terrain, because they excel at doing what shocks are supposed to do--control bounce and roll while keeping wheels firmly on the ground. Their valving is stiff enough for control and traction--and for controlling wheel hop--and plenty supple enough to flex all you want.

Bilstein kicks ass. They've been the main developer of high performance monotube shocks since the 1950s, and have been heavily involved in racing for just about as long. Their quality, manufacturing processes, and designs are superior.

Ok Bilstein, you read all that!? I want some air bumps! How about at least a frikin sticker!?
          holes = cowbell

Comment

OK this is where I laugh at this thread...(Even though I put my $0.02 in earlier)

Hitting speed bumps at a mall was funny!

I think think that you should go with my suggestion and FORGET that everybody else even exists!

Bilsteins are great shocks, but the pen springs and balloons that I have under my Jeep are waaaaayyyy better!

(I am being sarcastic! Go with the Doestch Tech! )
            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
              I agree with you, the Doetsch Tech shocks that came with the RE 4.5" lift left alot to be desired! But, those are comparable with a set of Rancho RS5000's. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" still holds true.

The RS5000 is a hydraulic shock and the Bilstein is a gas pressurized shock. Not the same by far. What is the Doetsch?

Comment

WOW!!! Did I start somethin!!! Sadly I havent managed to make it out since moving to California but now with some time off and repairs done to the xj I am all set aside from replacing some shocks that barely got me here.....I like the crawling and slower technical stuff but back home we didnt have as much rock as we did MUD!!! I sure appreciate all the feedback tho. I have heard good stuff about the bilstiens and emu's I am a firm believer of gettin what you pay for but also have a huge hate on for the skyjacker stuff.....

Comment

every shock I ever bought was white and typical same same, I mean when you gotta put the "manufacturer's" sticker (rancho, bilstien, skyjacker, so on...) on the plain white shock yer self, do you really think it's a different shock from all the others? I mean at least OME shocks are yellow... but everything else? I dunno, I shure felt like I paid for the sticker last time I bought shocks.
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    every shock I ever bought was white and typical same same, I mean when you gotta put the "manufacturer's" sticker (rancho, bilstien, skyjacker, so on...) on the plain white shock yer self, do you really think it's a different shock from all the others? I mean at least OME shocks are yellow... but everything else? I dunno, I shure felt like I paid for the sticker last time I bought shocks.
                    Bilsteins don't come in white, and Bilstein definitely manufactures them. Most other "offroad" shocks undoubtedly farm it out.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                      You're probably right I have asked and was told there is only a few shock manufactures out there. The rest are just "stickers".

Comment

I certainly wasn't cappin' on yer bilsteins, I just don't know that many names... and I am not sayin' that any shock is worse than another, I just think sometimes yer paying for a name. on a sticker. that you have to put on yerself.

Comment

No offense taken, Kodiak. Although it may sound like it, I'm not in the Bilstein family. And your point is well taken; actually that's one of the underlying reasons I recommend the Bilsteins--because most of those <Insert Brand Name Here> shocks are mediocre at best, made by who knows. I hope everyone realizes that some of my zeal is tongue-in-cheek, but I am really sold on Bilsteins, and have been for a long time. Not many products I can say that about.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

The Rancho brand is owned by Monroe, and Monroe makes the same private label shocks for several other "manufacturers."
                            I have the RS9000's on the back of my truck. With there built-in adjustability and I think that they work well when pulling a trailer.

I suggested the Doestch Tech shocks in my earlier post because with the exception of their DT3000's, I know that they manufacture their own shocks.
                            Money pit!

Comment

next question! where can i get a good deal near LA? Quadratec's prices are good but shipping brings the pricetag up. 4wheel parts doesnt seem like much of a deal...

Comment

I'm surprised they are gonna charge shipping, tell them you want them, but want free shipping - otherwise, I think there are vendors here like Moonworks that might be able to hook you up...

Comment

Working...
                                X