Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocks!

Hey All,

Lookin to replace my shocks and would like some advice or feedback. I had the skyjacker nitro's and will never go back to those. Thinkin about the pro-comp 9000 series.

well i aint some rich fancy californian i went with superlift shocks from my local jeep guy and they were around 60 bucks a shock and 4 bucks for a boot. that was for 2 inch lifted shocks. i have had good luck previously with rancho 5000's in a fullsize chevy. i cant complain about my el cheapo shocks, they ride around the same as factory.

Comment

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, high-performance, durable shock, I don't think you'll do any better than the Bilstein 5100 series. They will pay for themselves compared to lesser shocks, and probably outlast and outperform some much more expensive ones. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Comp 9000 series; I've heard of Rancho 9000s, though. I've been running Bilsteins for years; in fact, I've been running the same Bilstein front shocks on my Jeep for almost 3 years, and they still work great. Ask anybody who has wheeled with me if I'm squeamish about the skinny pedal when it comes to rough roads. I beat the crap out of those shocks. I replaced the rears only because I blew one in Ocotillo Wells last January. Probably over-compressed or extended it.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Pro Comp shocks suck for Jeeps (except the MX6). If you think the Nitros are stiff then you won't like them either. I switched my Pro Comp shocks out for Skyjacker Hydros and am very happy with them. The Hydros are much softer than the Nitros. Had them on the Jeep for a few years now.
        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

I have run these on the front of my YJ for about three years now and I love them!

With these out back:
          2.5 Smooth body Rebuildable shocks

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/7.asp
          Money pit!

Comment

rancho 9000 are great !!

Comment

The Bilstein 5100's have good control and ride nice both on and off road. The Rancho 9000 is right up there with the Bilsteins and are adjustable which comes in handy when you load up your Jeep and go camping. Rancho 5000's are also a decent shock and are affordable.

I've run Rough Country, Skyjacker and Doetsch (not the model pdw posted) and wouldn't recommend any of them.

These guy's usually have good prices.
              http://www.eshocks.com/bilstein.asp?...FRIcawodbmNGow

Comment

x3 on the Bilstein 5100s

Comment

what is your budget, and what do you like to play in?
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    If you're looking for a reasonably priced, high-performance, durable shock, I don't think you'll do any better than the Bilstein 5100 series. They will pay for themselves compared to lesser shocks, and probably outlast and outperform some much more expensive ones. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Comp 9000 series; I've heard of Rancho 9000s, though. I've been running Bilsteins for years; in fact, I've been running the same Bilstein front shocks on my Jeep for almost 3 years, and they still work great. Ask anybody who has wheeled with me if I'm squeamish about the skinny pedal when it comes to rough roads. I beat the crap out of those shocks. I replaced the rears only because I blew one in Ocotillo Wells last January. Probably over-compressed or extended it.
                    X4. The bilstein 5100 are good shocks. Had them on two trucks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                      X4. The bilstein 5100 are good shocks. Had them on two trucks now.
                      good for what type of wheeling? how were they valved?
                      ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                        The Bilstein 5100's have good control and ride nice both on and off road. The Rancho 9000 is right up there with the Bilsteins and are adjustable which comes in handy when you load up your Jeep and go camping. Rancho 5000's are also a decent shock and are affordable.

I've run Rough Country, Skyjacker and Doetsch (not the model pdw posted) and wouldn't recommend any of them.

The RC 2.2 isn't a bad shock IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                          good for what type of wheeling? how were they valved?
                          Ask Inverted above. He has had them on his Jeep. As stated, I have only had them on my last two "trucks". Are you wanting them for your truck or jeep?

You may get some answers here...Happy reading
                          http://www.bilsteinshocks.com/bilste...l/offroad.html
                          Last edited by Jeep4cern; 06-15-09, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Double AA View Post

I agree with you, the Doetsch Tech shocks that came with the RE 4.5" lift left alot to be desired! But, those are comparable with a set of Rancho RS5000's. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" still holds true.
                            Money pit!

Comment

my point is... no one knows which shocks are best for his needs as he hasn't stated what they are yet.
                              if he likes to hit the speed bumps at the mall at a higher speed, would make a specific shock or valving more desirable over a shock that is good for flexing over the boulders, or hauling ass across the whoops.

all i see here is people recommending the shocks they have for their rigs, or something they read about on the internet.

so...... what do you plan to do with your rig?
                              ERIK

Comment

Working...
                              X