Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Clutch Bypass mod

I am tired of pushing in the clutch to start the motor. Does anybody know how to bypass it so I can start the motor up with out pressing the clutch in?
    2006 TJ
    Thanks
    Fredo
    Last edited by JeepGal; 06-03-09, 06:26 PM.

I fixed that inadvertently; Seems it stopped being an issue at the same time I pulled the fuse for the door, headlight, and other annoying buzzers and bells. If that's the case, it's just a matter of pulling that fuse (which, admittedly, seems a little backwards). You'll find it behind the glovebox, give it a shot.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-03-09, 08:07 PM.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks
      I will give it a try tomorrow.
      Fredo

Comment

It's been a few years, but I seem to remember that I installed a fuse to complete the circuit for the clutch bypass thing. I don't know if it was behind the glovebox or under the hood. It's been nice though.
        All slow and no show

Comment

What, you never read your owner's manual? Simply insert a 10 amp fuse into the #20 fuse slot which is there solely for that purpose, to bypass the clutch interlock switch.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
            What, you never read your owner's manual? Simply insert a 10 amp fuse into the #20 fuse slot which is there solely for that purpose, to bypass the clutch interlock switch.
            Wow, thats pretty cool. Nice tip.
            |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

You lucky bastards and your 98+ TJs...

The fuse mod doesn't work for my 97, I had to wire up a switch to the switch that detects if the clutch is depressed or not.

This is still one of the little "mods" on my todo list that I've done, but haven't created a write-up for... some day maybe.

(Yes, I know some people think it should just be defeated, I wanted a switch.)
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I think the 97's had a bypas wire near the clutch switch on the pedal rod, if you look in the manual it should show you.
                My 2006 4 popper has the fuse provision but it raises the idle and sets the check engine light so I wired a push button into the to wires on the clutch switch works as well as anything. I tried to just jump the wires but that wigs the ecm out and will not allow it to start after awhile, I think its due to a provision where the started cannot engage when the engine is running, got to love electronic wizardry

Comment

sounds like an easy kill switch mod to install...
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                    You lucky bastards and your 98+ TJs...

The fuse mod doesn't work for my 97, I had to wire up a switch to the switch that detects if the clutch is depressed or not.

This is still one of the little "mods" on my todo list that I've done, but haven't created a write-up for... some day maybe.

(Yes, I know some people think it should just be defeated, I wanted a switch.)
                    You need to look at your owner's manual too. The '97 TJ's clutch interlock was designed to be bypassed by moving an electrical plug up in the driver's side footwell. Move the plug from one location to the other as shown below and the interlock is bypassed.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 06-05-09, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I always thought it was a YJ thing. I never had to push in the clutch pedal to start my Jeep. Most TJ owners wondered why. But now that I think about it, that plug has always just hung down next to the pedal. Never really bothered me much. Didn't notice any ill effect from not having it plugged in. Always thought it was an item my 4 banger, plain Jane Jeep didn't need.
                      I wonder if I accidently unplugged it one day with my foot and never noticed it? :dunno:
                      I think I'll plug it in and see if that is what's for.:geek:

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                        You need to look at your owner's manual too. The '97 TJ's clutch interlock was designed to be bypassed by moving an electrical plug up in the driver's side footwell.
                        I know that exists, but as I stated, I wanted a switch. Instead of having to get down into that wiring (a bend-over-and-twist that hurts my back) to switch the connector every time I wanted to disable the clutch switch, I would rather do it once, and wire it to a switch. I chose one that went from that connector point to the factory clutch sensor or two shorted pins I made on the switch, to override the sensor contacts.

I decided to draw a diagram, and threw a page up on my site:
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Hey there Mat, if ya figure it out how to bypass the 97 let me in on it, I,ve been wanting to know how also...Thanks
                          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Why would you want to re-enable the interlock Mat? Mine has been bypassed since the first weekend my then-new '97 TJ was home. Afterall, this interlock thing is a recent history insult to our intelligence that only the liability lawyers made the manufacturers add. My TJ is the first stick shift I've ever owned in over 45 years of driving that had a clutch interlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
                              Hey there Mat, if ya figure it out how to bypass the 97 let me in on it, I,ve been wanting to know how also...Thanks
                              You saw post #10 above right?

Comment

Working...
                              X