Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
    Now I,m wanting to know where the intake tube is??
    Stock configuration has this huge box for the air filter. The tube that connects that box (passenger side of engine compartment) to the throttle body (driver's side of engine compartment) is the intake tube.

To make room for my York Compressor I just cut the stock tube and put a K&N on it:

(wow, my engine compartment was *clean* when I did the OBA)
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Interesting

I have a K&N in all 3 of my vehicles. Never knew about the unseen horror.
      I don't have cones though. I use "drop ins" in the stock airbox. I'm going to go out right now and check for that layer of dust.

I'll let you know what I find...

Scott

Comment

I have one of these sitting in my garage for anyone who wants it. I ran this for awhile but went back the the paper filter.

K&N FOR FREE, fits TJ's stock box, come get it.

Tom

Comment

Oh Man!

Holy :poop:!

I went ahead and diconnected the air intake at the throttle body.
          I can't believe what I found.
          I recharge my filter after every run.
          And to my dismay...

[IMG][/IMG]

I think ther is more dirt in the engine than on it!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

K&N's are going in the trash today.
          Or like Black & Tan says, "come and get it".
          Thanks for the input guys.
          Wish I'd seen this a few years ago. LOL

Scott

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the tips ..got it cleaned and oiled today back in her so all,s well..Mat I checked the tube was barely any dirt at all..so I,m clean and done!!! Thanks fella,s....
            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Holy crap... does my pre-filter do that much, or what? Also, I haven't been checking at the throttle body, I've only been checking right near the filter at the end of the tube. I'll check mine in the next couple of days... that looks bad Scott!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                Holy crap... does my pre-filter do that much, or what?
                Yes it does. I'm not running a K&N but I'm running a cone filter that is designed the same. I have a prefilter and I haven't noticed any dirt in my intake. Mine is also water resistant which I have tested and it works. A prefilter will also cut down on the number of cleanings required.

This is the one I'm using.
                http://www.outerwearsracing.com/
                Last edited by dirtman13; 05-14-09, 03:17 PM. Reason: link added
                Check out .

Comment

Next time I go out on a run, I'll take before and after pictures of the tube, the filter and the TB. Damn Dog, that there is is a desert in your TB! Never seen that much carp in a carb before. If you use carb cleaner to clean that mess up, stay away from the TPS (throttle position sensor). It doesn't like carb cleaner much.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                    Yes it does. I'm not running a K&N but I'm running a cone filter that is designed the same. I have a prefilter and I haven't noticed any dirt in my intake. Mine is also water resistant which I have tested and it works. A prefilter will also cut down on the number of cleanings required.

This is the one I'm using.
                    http://www.outerwearsracing.com/
                    As you can see from my picture, I use the K&N "precharger". I got the pre-filter after hearing the K&N horror stories and since I've never seen dirt, I sided with BS data. Maybe there should be a new test that shows K&N + pre-charger vs. the paper filter and how much silica gets through.

Comment

It partially depends where you fo most of your running. K and N for street running is ok for desert running I would say it's not a very good choice, it all depends where you do most of your running and how much maintenance you care to do. To me paper filter and not a cheap one at that

Comment

I've seen that much dirt on several vehicles and on folks Jeeps that said they were "clean every other time I checked". JUst not worth it. Old oiled gauze technology is outdated and really not meant for off road use on engines that were meant to last a long time. Race engines rarely care since they get rebuilt often but DD vehicles in desert conditions are exposed to too much chance using that type of filter.

Long gone are the days of living back East in a wet, humid environment where there was little dust to worry about on my street driven, k&n equipped street & strip car. I used to swear by k&n till I moved to teh desert and took up wheeling.

Comment

Mess

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          stay away from the TPS (throttle position sensor). It doesn't like carb cleaner much.
                          Thanks for the tip Rat.
                          And FYI, I checked my other 2 vehicles (02 Silverado & 03 Sonoma) Both intakes were totally clean. THey are never run off road though. So I will leave them alone.
                          I really don't like buying a new paper filter after every run though. Anyone have suggestions on different "cleanable" filters that actually work.
                          Checked out you site Materdaddy. May have to go to a cone shape. Can't find a pre-filter for "drop in".
                          Thanx in advance.

Scott
                          Last edited by Dezertdog; 05-15-09, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Here's one very telling chart from a certified ISO test of various air filters at http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

From that test:

"In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction. In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt." (end of quote)

Finally, before I was able to replace my K&N with the better filtering Truefilter, I ultimately ended up with TWO prefilters over the K&N to try to limit the dust and silica it was passing from my desert offroading. This pic shows them drawn back so you can see them. First is an Outerwears pre-filter, on top is an oiled foam Unifilter.

If you never wheel in dusty conditions, I guess a K&N is fine. But if you do, it'd be the last filter I'd run or recommend.
                            Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 05-15-09, 09:03 AM.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Note the above test info is Not of the current Ea series of Dry Amsoil air filters. Just so ya know.

Comment

I've been running my own test for four years. I drive in the dustiest conditions possible (ask Mike, he'll tell ya) and my K&N works like a charm. I've not had to clean the TB inside EVER! THe one time I used carb cleaner on it was to clean the outside, and tht's when I ruined the TPS. Those lab tests are worth something though; good bathroom reading. I trust real time, in the field info and I have great success with my K&N. But like i said, it's your money, buy what you want.
                                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X