Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I do mount a home made drawer in the back?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
    I use something similar, and less than half the price:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34313

Wait for a good sale, you can get it for $50. I've used it on many trips, and leave it at camp. Works out great and gives me some of the much needed cargo room for my TJ.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

That looks like it would make a handy BBQ too.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        I use something similar, and less than half the price:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34313

Wait for a good sale, you can get it for $50. I've used it on many trips, and leave it at camp. Works out great and gives me some of the much needed cargo room for my TJ.
        That's a pretty good idea.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I worked on this today. I haven't made the drawer yet, but the platform is done. Photos here, but here is a preview:

TreadLightly Trainer
          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Looks really well made Nathan. I can picture you doing a nice job like this.

I'm not too keen on carrying gas inside the vehicle though. I beg you to keep it outside the vehicle. Please, it's a 5 gallon disaster in a can.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Very nice setup Nathan, I agree with roger though, the gas can ought to stay outside of the cab

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Looks really well made Nathan. I can picture you doing a nice job like this.

I'm not too keen on carrying gas inside the vehicle though. I beg you to keep it outside the vehicle. Please, it's a 5 gallon disaster in a can.
                Everyone has opinions on that. Don't put it up on the roof rack because your CofG will be too high. Don't put it on your rear bumper because it will explode if you get rear-ended, don't put inside because the fumes will get to you. If every way is wrong, I'm going to use what I have and not worry about it overly much. This particular can has never leaked, there are no fumes from it.

Ultimately, I would like to add the jerry can holders to my Hansen bumper/rack, but that costs money and I have a bitch of a problem with my Hansen rack right now. It completely destroyed the rear body panel of the Jeep. It simply can't handle the wieght of the tire, let alone adding gas cans to the equation. I had to take the tire off and that is part of the reason why I am building the platform, so that I can store the tire inside until I get the money to have the tub fixed and the rack modified to not fail like this:

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

hey Nathan.

I prefer the fumes inside. j/k

there was a fuel container that was flat at the expo. It attached I believe to the hitch mount. I cant remember the name though. Was a 5 gallon.

If I do the dusy or Mojave I will probably just mount mine in the back. but my junk is open.

I like the drawer option.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I experimented a bit more this morning, and adding the Tuffy tie-down track to the very rear is going to work great. Because the rear seat is angled, I can fit the Slide-Lock system in the front, in the triangular "dead space" just behind the seat, and put the tie-down track bar in the very back, giving me nearly three more inches of depth, perfect for my cooler and ActionPackers.

I'm pretty happy with how all this turned out, as is my local hardware guy who now needs to restock his bolt supply :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                    HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I like what you have done! Simple, yet extremely effective!

Darned if you do, darned if you don't with the gas can. No easy way to carry fuel.
                      Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                      X