Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I do mount a home made drawer in the back?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I do mount a home made drawer in the back?

I have an LJ, and want to make a platform/drawer setup in the back for various tools, tie points, etc...

I have seen many set-ups like this, but have never figured out how they anchor it to the Jeep! Any suggestions?

Here is one example. it's a bit more than what I am wanting to do, but how's it mounted? Ideas?

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

I mounted my box with L Brackets and self taping screws through the floor you could probably also use rivets through the box securing it to the floor but that would make it a little more difficult to remove if need be.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Why not use the bolt holes in the floor that the rear seat brackets are mounted to? that or mount it from the lower seat belt mounting holes either of those are reinforced and will make for very secure mounting points. The ones for the rear seat mounting brackets will probably work best

Comment

My primary reason for not using those mounting points is because there is a seat there! I have a four person family, so they are often along for the ride.

TreadLightly Trainer
        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

First, it is helpful when asking for other peoples ideas that you explain that you wish to retain the rear seat for your passengers.
          I regularly take the rear seat in and out of the Jeep depending upon how many people I expect to take with me.

Second, you mention that you plan on carrying tools and other heavy items in this box, as well as using it as a tie down point. Obviously, this "box" should always be secured in some manner, but the weight of the boxes content will ultimately be the deciding factor on what type of fasteners that you use.

Personally, I would consider something other than pop-rivets. They are good for small things I.E. attaching my cb bracket to the roll cage, but not much else.
          If you will to remove said box on a regular basis, I am sure that you could find some quick release pins/fasteners such as:
          http://www.milspecproducts.com/26002700c-lock.htm
          Last edited by pdw; 04-06-09, 09:10 AM.
          Money pit!

Comment

I have used two of the "Action Packer" boxes that are shown in the picture for about 4 or 5 years now. I use one for food and the other one for jackets, maps, T.P. and the such. They hold a fair amount and claim to float. They also designed the handles to accept tie down straps and have interlocking lids so they stack and stay! Just a thought......

There are many sizes available.
            http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1...num=1&ct=title
            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
              First, it is helpful when asking for other peoples ideas that you explain that you wish to retain the rear seat for your passengers.
              You are absolutely right. I'm normally fairly articulate, but the rear storage concept I'm aiming for is still fuzzy in my mind, thus less than adequately described in text. My apologizes.

In vague terms, making it sound overly complicated, here is what I have in mind:
              • I have stereo amps mounted under my rear seat currently. I will be building a platform that goes over these.
              • The platform will be full length of the bed, but in two halfs. The permanent half will be behind the rear seat, the front half will be installed as needed when the rear seat is removed. When installed, it will form one large flat floor, but it will be modular, to allow the rear seat to be in or out as needed (typically, the rear seat will be in)
              • I considered mounting the rear seat permanently ontop of the platform, but I need the headroom, so that's out.
              • Since the rear half will be permanent, a full width shallow drawer would be perfect. I'm thinking a 3" tall drawer, about 4" tall platform overall. (+/-)
              • I intend to square out the sides like the photo I posted. This too will be modular, with separate front and rear components to allow the rear seat to be used as needed.
              • I am looking for a strong, lightweight, workable material to use. I'd prefer a composite material, but not sure what. If unsuccessful, I will use 1/2" aircraft grade spruce plywood.

I'll be sketching this out this week, and I'll post the drawings I as work them out.

TreadLightly Trainer
              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I have used two of the "Action Packer" boxes that are shown in the picture for about 4 or 5 years now.
                I use them also, I think they are quite good. Ultimately, I need a trailer, but here is a "typical" car camping load out for my family. We have a ways to go in consolidating and reducing our gear list :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

You could use flat stock/flat bar and mount it underneat the seat mounts would not interfere with anything and make a good secure mounting point.
                  mounting things to sheetmetal is not all that good an idea also there is a tank in the way makes it a bit hard to get to the undersideif you mount i8t under the seat brackets and under the seat belt mounts on the side of the tub you will have some very secure mounting points all it would take is slightly longer bolts and no damage to the tub

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                    You are absolutely right. I'm normally fairly articulate, but the rear storage concept I'm aiming for is still fuzzy in my mind, thus less than adequately described in text. My apologizes.

In vague terms, making it sound overly complicated, here is what I have in mind:
                    • I have stereo amps mounted under my rear seat currently. I will be building a platform that goes over these. Perhaps consider mounting the amps on one side of the permanent storage box?
                    • The platform will be full length of the bed, but in two halfs. The permanent half will be behind the rear seat, the front half will be installed as needed when the rear seat is removed. When installed, it will form one large flat floor, but it will be modular, to allow the rear seat to be in or out as needed (typically, the rear seat will be in)
                      I like what you are describing so far! My first thought is installation and removal of the front half...perhaps it would enter and exit via the rear gate?
                    • I considered mounting the rear seat permanently ontop of the platform, but I need the headroom, so that's out.
                    • Since the rear half will be permanent, a full width shallow drawer would be perfect. I'm thinking a 3" tall drawer, about 4" tall platform overall. (+/-)
                    • I intend to square out the sides like the photo I posted. This too will be modular, with separate front and rear components to allow the rear seat to be used as needed.
                    • I am looking for a strong, lightweight, workable material to use. I'd prefer a composite material, but not sure what. If unsuccessful, I will use 1/2" aircraft grade spruce plywood.

Well, I don't know what you budget is for this, but I today I stopped in at http://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/ for the first time. I was impressed with the large variety of different materials they had available! They have a large selection of aluminum material, at relatively inexpensive prices-compared to steel and aluminum stock at Home Depot!

I'll be sketching this out this week, and I'll post the drawings I as work them out.
                    Please post, I'm interested to see your thoughts!
                    Money pit!

Comment

Me thinks that you need a truck to carry your camping gear, and a trailer to haul the Jeep!
                      Money pit!

Comment

Me thinks that you need a truck to carry your camping gear, and a trailer to haul the Jeep!
                        found a solution for you. is what I want actually

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/
                        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I absolutely do want an AT. They are the best, and they are awesome. But they are EXPENSIVE. I could sell the Jeep and buy the trailer, or.....

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Yes the AT trailers are expensive, but well worth it. If you think of the cost of a camper/motor home, or a diesel truck to tow with the costs are low. Have you also thought of a basket that will fit in your hitch in your bumper. Gives you extra hauling space, yet you can leave it in camp when not needed.
                            06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                            07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

here is a link,,,,http://www.quadratec.com/products/12033_11_07.htm
                              06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Working...
                              X