Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
    I see. Thank You.

I've been using the jeep to transport tile and rolls of carpet.

I delivered 49 boxesof Quartz Italian made tile last week totaling 2200 pounds in the back of the jeep and on the passenger seat. The rear suspension was down to the bump stopps and I even had to use low range to get up the driveway of my clients' home.

After that delivery I noticed a small leak of tranny fluid...I can;t find a dipstick to the tranny.

Is it a sealed tranny? I've got the NP231
    [COLOR="Sienna"]NP231? You mean you have a leak on your transfer case? There is no dipstick, but on the rear of the 231 there is a "fill hole" plugged with a large threaded plug. There are actually two, the top is the fill hole (fill until fluid is level) and the lower is the drain hole. Where is fluid leaking from?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

5w 30, you never know when its going to freeze up here. dont think that helps you at all eh.
      :devil: Giffer

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
        [COLOR="Sienna"]NP231? You mean you have a leak on your transfer case? There is no dipstick, but on the rear of the 231 there is a "fill hole" plugged with a large threaded plug. There are actually two, the top is the fill hole (fill until fluid is level) and the lower is the drain hole. Where is fluid leaking from?[/COLOR]
        OK so I just checked it out and oil is leaking from the transfer case where the bolts are. I better get it checked out.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

USMC 0369, by going to 30w in the summer you are using a lighter oil than the 10w-40 you use in the winter. FWIW: I use Castrol 20w-50
          Thank you for your service to our country.
          Respectfully,
          LG
          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
            USMC 0369, by going to 30w in the summer you are using a lighter oil than the 10w-40 you use in the winter. FWIW: I use Castrol 20w-50
            Thank you for your service to our country.
            Respectfully,
            LG
            [COLOR="Sienna"]SAE 30 doesn't thin out though, the way 10-40 does. Or at least thats how it was explained to me. I should research instead of taking people's word for it.[/COLOR]

Comment

OK sow now I'm more confused than ever. I live in Rancho Cucamonga. What oil should I use?

Comment

I use Valvoline 10-30. That should do well for you too. Just dont top of the transfer case with it. TC takes ATF.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  I use Valvoline 10-30. That should do well for you too. Just dont top of the transfer case with it. TC takes ATF.
                  Got It! Thank You.

Comment

Here in the Van Nuys we just comb the Low Riders hair and recycle!!!
                    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

USMC 0369, your 10w-40 "flows" like 10w oil when cold(morn. startup) but when oil temps get a little over 200* it thickens to give 40w protection. 30w is 30w weight from the get-go... The 10w-40 is a better year round oil than the 30w is for summer.
                      FWIW: where you are a 20w-50 would be GTG for a good year round oil for you. I have been using it for 24 years in my 85' CJ-7 w/258 cu. in 4.2 l 6cly. w/118.000 miles and NO oil burn issues(main seal leaks, yes)
                      Respectfully,
                      LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                        USMC 0369, your 10w-40 "flows" like 10w oil when cold(morn. startup) but when oil temps get a little over 200* it thickens to give 40w protection. 30w is 30w weight from the get-go... The 10w-40 is a better year round oil than the 30w is for summer.
                        FWIW: where you are a 20w-50 would be GTG for a good year round oil for you. I have been using it for 24 years in my 85' CJ-7 w/258 cu. in 4.2 l 6cly. w/118.000 miles and NO oil burn issues(main seal leaks, yes)
                        Respectfully,
                        LG
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]Thanks LG! I got that same thing, only completely backwards. Now I know. Valvoline has never let me down, no matter the weight I've used. Moving to Michigan in 60 days, not worth it to change now.[/COLOR]
                        Last edited by USMC 0369; 04-16-09, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I just dropped the Jeep off at Brother's 4x4. I'm replacing the engine oil, tranny oil, transfer case fluid, front and rear diff fluids and air filter.I figured might as well do it all at once. They're going to check on the leaking transfer case as well.

I came to work this morning and saw the oil leak right under the transfer case....no good!

Comment

USMC, Were your going you might what to look at 0w-30 or 5w-30 for your needs.
                            Why Mi. if I may ask? "Uncles" idea??
                            Respectfully,
                            LG

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]Moving to Michigan in 60 days, not worth it to change now.[/COLOR]
                              Hey Nick... About half the guys here run 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer, the other half 10W30 all year round. Out of sheer laziness I ran 10W30 all winter and it was ok, but next winter I'll switch to 5W30 to make it easier on the engine at startup.
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

i usually run 5w30 all winter and 10w30 come summer, the winter is pretty bad up here (-40C) so an easy start is a much needed thing

Comment

Working...
                                X