Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Quick Oil Change Question . . .

So I put 6 quarts of oil in and the dip stick seems to be reading a bit high. It's above the second hole. I could swear that I put in 6 last time and everything looked right. I have not started the Jeep yet after doing the service . . . could that be why it's reading high and I just need to get some oil into the engine and filter?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

i always pre oil the filter.. i say run it up for a second, if you have to just unscrew the filter till some pours out then quickly screw it back in.

Comment

there will always be some difference in amount, for you will never get all of it out. and if you didnt pre fill the filter then there half a liter right there.
      :devil: Giffer

Comment

That should probably take care of it . . . I'll drive around the block and check it again.

Comment

Desert Jewel had a high oil level, after six Qts, an when she asked me WTF? I reminded her that her oil pan is all beat to :poop: and she prolly has lost half a QT of capacity just in the rock bashin' !
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

hey giffer they dont know how much a half litre is lol. j/k

Comment

Thanks guys . . . it's all good . . . after a trip around the block, it was reading right at the top hole after sitting 5-10 minutes. Hey Kodiak, that was my first thought, looks like I got the engine skid just in time . . . by the looks of the scrapes on the skid my oil pan would have been dented, if not worse!!! Calico made me feel really good about spending all that money on armor. Apparently I was so relieved after making it down the big waterfall, I didn't realize that there was a second smaller waterfall, that was big enough to have done some pretty gnarly damage had I not armored up. Looks like my rear Nth diff slider grazed the driveshaft, that or a rock got up in there, either way it looks like I'll have a chance to put my little HF grinder to work and make a bit more room, before the next outing!!!
              Last edited by Schmo; 04-05-09, 09:12 PM.

Comment

It's tyime for asn oil change on my rig as well. What kind of oil should I use? I have a straight six with 89K

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                  It's tyime for asn oil change on my rig as well. What kind of oil should I use? I have a straight six with 89K
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]..... wait .... for .... it ....[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]..... wait .... for .... it ....[/COLOR]
                    Oh that kind of oil huh...

Comment

Oh that kind of oil huh...
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]I was waiting for the AMSOIL rep to chime in with "the greatest product on earth". LOL... I just use Valvoline High Mileage stuff. But there's plenty of people on here who swear by the synthetic blends. Valvoline was beaten into me by my dad, but the only thing I'll NEVER use is Penzoil.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]I was waiting for the AMSOIL rep to chime in with "the greatest product on earth". LOL... I just use Valvoline High Mileage stuff. But there's plenty of people on here who swear by the synthetic blends. Valvoline was beaten into me by my dad, but the only thing I'll NEVER use is Penzoil.[/COLOR]
                        So valvoline sw10-40? Or another?

Comment

Shant,

I've used Valvoline 10-40 for 2 years. My engine isn't using any oil and the oil is still clean looking when I change it at 2500 miles.

Mitch

Comment

So valvoline sw10-40? Or another?
                            [COLOR="Sienna"]I use 10-40 in the winter time here, but in the summer I use SAE30. It just gets SO hot out here that I get paranoid if I let the viscosity get too thin.[/COLOR]

Comment

I see. Thank You.

I've been using the jeep to transport tile and rolls of carpet.

I delivered 49 boxesof Quartz Italian made tile last week totaling 2200 pounds in the back of the jeep and on the passenger seat. The rear suspension was down to the bump stopps and I even had to use low range to get up the driveway of my clients' home.

After that delivery I noticed a small leak of tranny fluid...I can;t find a dipstick to the tranny.

Is it a sealed tranny? I've got the NP231

Comment

Working...
                              X