Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, you've got a lift, 33" tires, and a cage, and have a CB, rock sliders, diff covers and steering protection on the way.

Pretty good start. From there, the rest is kind of a slippery slope. If you want a locker, you should think about upgrading the axles, and changing the gear to accomodate the larger tires. That $800 locker quickly becomes a $2000 locker...per Axle!

I think the advice above is really good. Focus a bit more on armor, gas tank, oil pan, etc.. Then start looking at bumpers. I would choose a good rear bumper (RockHard makes a nice one) and then a front, in that order.

You should also think about learning to drive the rig you have to the best of its ablity. A good training course, like something from http://www.4x4training.com/ will likely save you a lot of money in bent steel and broken parts, and will help you defer the major cost of upgrades by compensating with skillfull driving.

As for tires, you can get used one's pretty cheap. Buddy of mine got six 33" KM2's off Craigslist for $40 each. Only 60% tread, but good enough for a year or so of wheeling. There are deals out there. KM2, MTR, MTZ, XTerrians, Baja Claws, all decent tires (KM2 is my favorite though).

How are you set up for real life in addition to mechanical life? What's in your gear bag? Do you have a good recovery kit? tools? Maps, GPS? camera? SPOT tracker? desert clothing, etc? These are all important and neccessary items because they will save your butt even without lockers :-)

And of course, never forget what JEEP stands for:
    Just Empty Every Pocket
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
      what Rat said....

you will be a better driver in the future if you can wheel with open diffs and 33s for now.
      I understand, I'll keep it stock for now.

Nitto Mud Grapplers are awesome tires for the trails but on the street they suck, extemely loud, poor gas mileage and they wander. If it's not a daily driver, no big deal.
      Only drive it to the trails, nothing else.

I think the advice above is really good. Focus a bit more on armor, gas tank, oil pan, etc.. Then start looking at bumpers. I would choose a good rear bumper (RockHard makes a nice one) and then a front, in that order.
      Forgot to mention that it came with a Warn rear bumper and tire carrier. I'm researching more on the skids though...

You should also think about learning to drive the rig you have to the best of its ablity. A good training course, like something from http://www.4x4training.com/ will likely save you a lot of money in bent steel and broken parts, and will help you defer the major cost of upgrades by compensating with skillfull driving.
      Ahhh... Well, I'm new to Jeeps but not offroading. I'm sure I could use some mentoring on rocks & snow/ice, but I'm a quick study and pretty confident in my skills. Before the flaming begins, I'm not saying I'm a stud or a pro at it, but I'm not a newbie to mud, steep trails, sand and off camber stuff...

How are you set up for real life in addition to mechanical life? What's in your gear bag? Do you have a good recovery kit? tools? Maps, GPS? camera? SPOT tracker? desert clothing, etc? These are all important and neccessary items because they will save your butt even without lockers :-)
      Recovery so far... Tow strap, d-rings, rear hook, hi-lift jack. That's it so far.

Tools... Just bought some ammo cans & filled them with vise grips, torks head set, crescent wrenches, screw drivers, duct tape, electrical wire, crimps,bailing wire, zip ties, etc.

Maps... not yet, but wheel with guys that do

GPS... not yet, but wheel with guys that do

Camera... Check

Warm clothes... Check

Spot Tracker... What is that? Personal emergency beacon?

Spare parts... NONE
      My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Comment

well here goes my 2 cents

first, steering box skid

then go out and where out those tires, right now you are set up nice and you really need to wheel that thing stock, if you do, you will learn a ton about wheeling and about how capable that puppy is. then:

belly up and slip joint eliminate, nothing gives you more breakover dollar per dollar than that, once you have that save money for the tires, gears and lockers all at one time, no need to pay twice for work in the axles when they can be opened once.

about bigger axles, why? you think a d30 and a d44 are not big enough? I mean there are a lot of guys here who have taken on some of the roughest trails on the west coast with those axles and still run them just fine.

do not get in the magazine sponsored line of thinking that you need this and that because they get vendors to spend more advertising money by writing them up. For every tricked out monster jeep riding around the mall parking lot there is a guy with half of what the magazine builds have, running up the Rubicon relying on experience and solid engineering, not bling and editorials. We used to conquer that trail in cj5s with 31s, 2 inches of lift and open lockers for years.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

About now, you're starting to see just how eager we all are to get our opinions up in your face where you can smell them...

Like a lot of others here, I've found that brains, patience, and experience go a lot further than my money does. I'm getting more patience and experience, but still coming up short on the brains.

If you really want to "hammer" that thing and still drive it home, you'd better plan on putting a lot more than another grand into it.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

You are miles ahead of most of us! You are starting with a rear Dana 44.

I would invest in gas tank/oil pan and steering box skids. Have fun learning how to drive it and what type of off-road fun you really want to have.
            Upgrade to new tires when you "burn-up" your current set. I have a set of 33" MTR's that I would love to switch out for some new 35" KM2's. But, there is still too much tread left!
            New, bumpers are also a good initial investment. I found my rear Warn tire carrier bumper through a friend who didn't like the way it looked on his Jeep. I have loved the way it works and looks for the last three years now!
            Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
              About now, you're starting to see just how eager we all are to get our opinions up in your face where you can smell them...

Like a lot of others here, I've found that brains, patience, and experience go a lot further than my money does. I'm getting more patience and experience, but still coming up short on the brains.

If you really want to "hammer" that thing and still drive it home, you'd better plan on putting a lot more than another grand into it.
              Well, I asked for opinions and that's what I got. I would like to thank everyone, all the opinions have been helpful.

As for putting more than another grand into it... Ya, I know it will be much, much, much more than that. Thats all I can swing for right now, so it looks like more basic recovery gear, tools, skids and seat time.
              My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Comment

Working...
              X