Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK... What's next? $$$'s to spend

A little background... Bought the [COLOR="Red"]Red Heep[/COLOR] back in August for a song. It's a 98 4.0L, 5spd, 3.73's, D44 w/LSD, 3.5 RE, Rancho 9000's, quick discos & Crappy 33x12.50 AT's.

I have hit a few trails (Big Bear & Ocotillo) in the last few months and I'm hooked. So... The first thing the wifey said was "Get a Cage!" I'm installing a Rock Hard cage this weekend.

I'm also waiting on the big beautiful brown truck to arrive with my Rokmen Mercenary Sliders, Steering Skid, Riddler Diff Covers (both) and a CB radio setup.

I'm hoping to get all this junk on the Heep before Super Bowl weekend when a few of us are going to check out TruckHaven.

What's next? Real tires (Nitto Mud Grapplers 33x13.50) instead of these street tires? Or, upgrade to a front or rear locker with heavy duty axle? Tummy tuck Skids & SYE with driveshaft? All of these cost AROUND a grand and that's what I think I can talk the wifey into, but then I'm cutoff for about 6 months. [COLOR="red"]What would you do?[/COLOR]

My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Leave it like it is for now, put as much coin away as you can and go big later. Use the Jeep to it's full potential as is before you drop big coin on it so you can figure out the best mods for what you like to do. With skids and diff covers and the other stuff your doing now you should be able to keep up with the best of us. Drive it like it's sponsored...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      With skids and diff covers and the other stuff your doing now you should be able to keep up with the best of us.
      I wanted some protection first so I can really beat on it. Is this enough armor to tackle some of the more gnarly rock trails?

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      Drive it like it's sponsored...
      It's a toy only... Bought it for pennies... She's gonna get hammered...

Comment

First, good advice from Rat; find your comfort level first, then IMHO: tires, locker, winch. On the trail you'll always use good tires, often engage a locker and rarely use a winch. BTW, with your gears, unless you want to spend some real big coin re-gearing and beefing up your axles, 33's are about as big as you'll want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by dadasjp View Post
          First, good advice from Rat; find your comfort level first, then IMHO: tires, locker, winch. On the trail you'll always use good tires, often engage a locker and rarely use a winch. BTW, with your gears, unless you want to spend some real big coin re-gearing and beefing up your axles, 33's are about as big as you'll want to go.
          Yep, planning on sticking with 33's, just want to go wider (13.50).

Comment

I didn't see an oil pan skid plate on your list. Don't leave the pavement without it! A tiny hole can leave you stranded a LONG way from a repair. It's cheap insurance.

A gas tank skid should probably be next after that. The stock one is only for the mildest of hits.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

I agree with ratpatrol and the rest: it sounds like you've spent plenty for the time being, but here's my .03:

Look towards getting a front locker first: the best tires in the world don't matter if your one wheel with traction doesn't get torque. My front Aussie Locker cost me $253 shipped, and a few hours of my time to install. It works great--has to be the best bang-for-your-buck locker available. If your LSD is still working (mine is worn out), that combo can be phenomenal.

As far as the tires: wear those babies out! Need more traction--air down. With your current setup, wider tires will get in the way, hitting the fenders, your control arms, etc. Anyway, unless you're mud boggin or in deep snow or sand, flexibility and maneuverability are more important than floatation. Jeeps aren't that great in the sand, mud, or snow, anyway--wheelbase is too short; too easy to end up sideways or on your lid when you're hitting soft stuff fast. What they excel at is the tight and twisty stuff--the rocks, the ruts, the washed-out wastelands (Truckhaven, for instance).

Instead of a winch, get a 4-ton (or even 2-ton) come-along, some recovery gear, and a shovel. When you get a winch, you should still carry those things.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Damon,

Smart move with the sliders, diff covers, and the cage. I like Kurt's advice. Also Mike hit two important ideas, get a gas tank skid (mine is Warn and it has saved my ass) and also get a oil pan skid. The idea of a wider tire (13.5") might not be the hot ticket. My Mickey Thompson MTZ tires give me good traction and show little wear for the 20,000 miles that I've put on. I don't know anyone who is running Nitto's. And when you start playing with axles, gears, and lockers you will blow away that $1000 three times over. Air down when you run in the dirt and buy a small compressor.

Mitch

Comment

Damon, you got the basics, for tires bfg km2's, goodyear mtr's baja claws or MTZ's all do well
                  33x12.50 is plenty good and save you some coin over the nitto's but then its your money. Air down and wheel it fix or change what you hate or break, if you hang up at stuff underneath look at it change it or trim it. aGood oil pan skid and tank skidis weel worth the money also change the radiator hoses and such a busted hose is a real bummer out in the tulleys same goes for the belts, the cheap stuff can really ruin a good wheeling day. From thgere go wheel it and after 6 months or so when the current setup really limits you move on to the next mods.
                  I showed a guy how to run a bunch of stuff last weekend and he was amazed what his stock tj with a 2"bb and 31.s and open diffs would do. find its limits and move on from there

Comment

Good Advice from ALL!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll take it. I will hold off on tires, lockers, etc. until I have "tapped out" my current setup.

I have changed all the hoses and the belt when I bought it so I should be ok there. Full tune up. I picked up a cheap air compressor, tow strap, shovel, d-rings, hi-jack so I'm ok there. Everyone says a "good" oil pan skid and gas tank skid. Ok, I'll open that can of worms... Who has a "good" skid?

Comment

fire extinguisher
                      military ammo containers for gear
                      spare ujoints, oil, hoses,fluids, etc
                      oba
                      always carry shelter and rations like a one man tint and some food/water
                      map
                      spare shafts
                      necessary tools
                      cash
                      warm clothes
                      your hi lift
                      NOT EXCITING THINGS TO BUY/HAVE BUT THEY WILL SAVE YOUR A55..

I enjoyed not having lockers in my tj for years and years.. taught me how to get out of some great situations. i am now fully locked with detroit rear & ARB front & when locked, its kinda boring because i know i'll get up stuff & if i dont, something will just break. getting stuck can be fun.

If i were in your shoes, I would get a tank skid.. Saved me MANY times. i wouldnt waste any money on the front 30 although i still run it and its fine. hindsight would just have me save for something larger. your 44 is great. i'd get something like a detroit or OX (but wait til your good w/what you have first)and some shafts.
                      I would do a SYE. have you ever wasted a shaft and stood there and watched your baby (jeep) bleed to death?

SO:

gas tank skid
                      SYE w/a better DS
                      A front disconnect or preferred antirock
                      rear detroit or OX

shop craigslist and ebay. you'd be pleasantly suprised.also shop pirate4x4 and JU's for sale posts as well as MJR's
                      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I like my skidrow oil pan/tranny (auto) skid plate, ties nicely into the t-case skid plate and helps to keep the front of the t-case skid from acting like a shovel. Personally, I'd do this before the gas tank skid, but I've never really had any problems with my stock rubicon one and don't know how strong yours may be?? Also, I think someone on here was looking to get rid of a used warn 10k lb winch, keep an eye out and you'll see several of these items (used) come up for sale from people upgrading or parting-out.

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          fire extinguisher
                          military ammo containers for gear
                          spare ujoints, oil, hoses,fluids, etc
                          oba
                          always carry shelter and rations like a one man tint and some food/water
                          map
                          spare shafts
                          necessary tools
                          cash
                          warm clothes
                          your hi lift
                          You forgot TP
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

what Rat said....

you will be a better driver in the future if you can wheel with open diffs and 33s for now.
                            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Nitto Mud Grapplers are awesome tires for the trails but on the street they suck, extemely loud, poor gas mileage and they wander. If it's not a daily driver, no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X