Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not worried about a tire being bumpy and noisy. I'm limited because I want a tire taller than 33, but dont really want to step up to 35's. That's why I'm leaning to the 255/85-16. Still hoping for feedback on this size. Mat

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
      ah humbug to all of you, it is baja claws for me, who cares about road performance after all it is all about the dirt.

Seriously, I love my claws offroad, but they are bumpy and noisy onroad. I have freinds who give me rave reviews about the MTRs and I am looking hard at them.(I have 2 seasons on the Baja Claws and they are chunked up a bit, but then 2 years of fun have been had.

I also have a friend who has abused the heck out of those pro comps plus does road duty with them, he likes them.

I have the BFGs on the CJ, decent tire, the JK has MT Baja MTX's very decent tire.

I think I will be torn between the MTR's and another set of claws this spring. Both from mine and others experience are great tires for the dirt, it is just ho much road duty you want, Claws are an aquired taste on the road.
      haha thats funny cause like I said, I DD my rig more then 1000 miles a month and I run 35" Baja Claws and love them.

As for tire size, I wouldnt step up to a 35 till your really ready. There are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed when you go that big. Stick with the 33.3 you should be fine.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
        It is funny cause I love my X-terrains and have had great success with them. I have no issues with grip.
        I am only comparing the X-Terrains to the MTR's. Maybe I should have run less than 15psi on trails like Calico or Achy Breaky?

Whatever the case may be, I love my MTR's. But, I am still interested in the BFG M/T KM2's....
        Money pit!

Comment

Man I had never even seen the BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. I've got about 50 miles on a set of BFG A/T's. They kinda last a LONG time but maybe next time.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
            I am only comparing the X-Terrains to the MTR's. Maybe I should have run less than 15psi on trails like Calico or Achy Breaky?

Whatever the case may be, I love my MTR's. But, I am still interested in the BFG M/T KM2's....
            I wasn't bashing you I was agreeing with you. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm looking at the KM2's as well as the new Mud X-Terrain.
            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              I wasn't bashing you I was agreeing with you. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm looking at the KM2's as well as the new Mud X-Terrain.
              None taken, but thanks for the clarification!

I only have a 4cyl in my Jeep, no winch (yet) and I try to keep the amount of junk that I carry to a minimum. I even take out the rear seat when I don't need it! That could have an effect on the way that the X-Terrains handled for me.
              Money pit!

Comment

On my '03 rubicon I ran 285/75/16 mtr's on the stock moab rim and only rubbed slightly at full lock on my currie anti-rock sway bar. At the time I was running a 4" currie lift, no body lift and no spacers, on the stock wheels. I have a friend running the same exact tires on his '06 rubicon with a rancho 3" rock crawler suspension lift, no body lift or spacers, moab wheels and the stock anti-sway bar and he has no rubbing whatsoever. We really articulated his jeep on Gold Mountain a couple months back. FYI, I've run 35" bfg km2's for the last year now, really great tire as well, it's hard to go wrong with either the mtr or km2. I personally like the additional siping in the km2. JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                  Maybe I should have run less than 15psi on trails like Calico or Achy Breaky?
                  Definitely. I don't even consider 15 psi airing down, you should really be getting your air pressure down to 12-13 psi for trails like those which I've run multiple times. Even 30" size offroad tires handle 12-13 psi on the trail just fine with little chance of them unseating.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                    Even 30" size offroad tires handle 12-13 psi on the trail just fine with little chance of them unseating.
                    I think that depends utterly on rim size. Sure, you can air down low on 15" rims! But if you are rocking 17" rims or bigger (like some of the JK's I've seen), a 31" 285/60/18 tire can't go lower than low 20's except in deep deep sand like Pismo or Glamis.
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I run a Interco 33" tire and on the regular trails I run 10 psi, dont even show much of a bulge, and then in sand I will go down to around 6 psi
                      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                        I think that depends utterly on rim size. Sure, you can air down low on 15" rims! But if you are rocking 17" rims or bigger (like some of the JK's I've seen), a 31" 285/60/18 tire can't go lower than low 20's except in deep deep sand like Pismo or Glamis.
                        It's not the wheel diameter that has a big effect on that as it is the width. For example, it takes more pressure to keep a tire seated against wheel edges 10" apart than if they are 8" apart. If you have a big-*** wheel and tiny tires, sure, but not many real offroaders run bling wheels with small tires.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          It's not the wheel diameter that has a big effect on that as it is the width. For example, it takes more pressure to keep a tire seated against wheel edges 10" apart than if they are 8" apart. If you have a big-*** wheel and tiny tires, sure, but not many real offroaders run bling wheels with small tires.
                          Jerry speaks the truth!
                          Peteyg is running 20" wheels with 38x14.50 tires at 7-8PSI and has NEVER lost a bead.
                          15 and 16" wheels have better beads than 16.5's. 17+ are also fine.
                          I peel my 38x14.50's off my 8" wheels occasionallym but I run them at 6 PSI a lot and I think the big sidewall pulls the tires off.
                          my new build will run blingy beadlocks.
                          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Working...
                          X