Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire opinions

It's about time to get new tires. My Jeep is not a daily driver, I only use it about 3000 miles a year. I usually trailer it to the trail if it's much more than 100 miles from home. Should I get Interco LTB's(bias ply) or a Radial (eg. KM2, MTR, Radial Claw)? The LTB is cheaper by about $20-$50 per tire. The bias tire is supposed to be rougher/louder on road and wear out faster, but is supposed to be better on rocks/desert trails. I'd like to hear opinions on both sides. Thanks, Mat

Biggest problem with a bias tire is the flat spotting after it sit for awhile. The tires develop a flatspot that takes anywhere from 5 mint to 15 mins or more of driving to go away

Comment

Thanks for the info, I did not know that. Does the flat spotting damage the tire, or just create an annoyance? Sometimes the Jeep will go unmoved for 2-3 weeks. Mat

Comment

Doesn't hurt it a bit, its just very annoying to hop and bounce for awhile when you start driving it. Once the tires warmup they will round out again

Comment

What kind of trails do you run? Personally, I run the MT/R on our local rocky trails with good success. The new BFG MT KM2 is supposed to be BFG's new answer to the MT/R, I hear it's good too.

Personally, I'm not a fan of bias ply tires when there are such good TOUGH rock-ready radial tires out there like the Krawler, MT/R, KM2, etc.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I would stay away from the bias tires, although they would be great tires for the rocks, they would be a pain unless you owned a trailer queen. Go with a good radial, they have made a lot of advancements with the radials and using the jeep for a few chores would not be an issue, but a fun short hop.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Ive been very satisfied with my Good Year MTRs. They have never let me down when it comes to wear or performance.

I remember when I first got them. It was a huge and noticeable improvement. Everyone thought I got lockers. The tires were sooo much better in the rocks. They just grab hold and stick!

I also had a horrible experience with some automatic tire deflators. If it were a lesser tire, they would have been ruined. Id used the deflators before to air down, they had been set. This time, to save time, I used the deflators as instructed, putting them on the tires before the trail head. We were running behind, and were to meet up with everyone at a specified place. When I got there, there was no one there, ALL FOUR TIRES WERE FLAT. No CB reception. No way to air up. I had to drive all the way back to the entrance to the area with zero pressure, driving on the rims...about 10 miles or so, on a washed out and rutted road. The tires held their beads, and they aired up with no permanent damage.

Ill probably always buy GY MTRs.

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I took my new BFG KM2s out for the weekend. I LOVE THIS TIRE..I have run everything from TSL, Claws, BFG MUDS, X-terrains, I Roks...And I will say for a jeep that sees any street time these tires blow them away. I was really impressed how well the hooked up on the rocks, and stuck to the ice. The road noise is less then any mud tire I have ever ran...
                Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

xeleventy billion for KM2s...

KM2s will be my next tire. The only other tire i would run would be Baja Claws.

I personally do not like MTRs for any rig that sees a decent amount of road time. They are horrible in the rain, they fish tale just driving straight on the freeway. They are LOUD on the road and produce lots of vibrations (especially if they have uneven wear).

my .02 HTH
                  |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post

I personally do not like MTRs for any rig that sees a decent amount of road time. They are horrible in the rain, they fish tale just driving straight on the freeway. They are LOUD on the road and produce lots of vibrations (especially if they have uneven wear).

my .02 HTH
                    How long did you own your MT/Rs? I'm on my second set here in SOCAL like you and I haven't noticed those problems you speak of. They do get louder once you get 20K miles on them but to me, that's a small price to pay for how superb they are in the rocks and their ruggedness plus highly cut-resistant sidewalls.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post

my .02 HTH
                      It's funny that people can totally different experience with the same tires!
                      I have had nothing but great results from my MTR's! Over the last three years I have beat the hell out of them and they are only now starting to really show signs of wear.
                      Pro-Comp X-Terrains are great for looking like you 4x4, but really don't grip well. Pro-Comp Mud Terrains are great for sand and dirt, but not for rocks.
                      I would REALLY like to try the new BFG mud-terrains, but the MTR's have too much tread on them still!

P.S. My Jeep isn't a daily driver, but it does see it's share of highway miles to and from the trail.
                      Money pit!

Comment

Had my 32" MTRs for over a year and a half.

My brother use to have 31" MTRs on his ZJ and after sliding into a car in the rain (after making a left turn from a stop), I junked those and went to some BFG Muds on his rig instead.

The "cut-resistant" side-walls arent anything special from what ive seen. I know people that have gone through a set of tires within a year from cutting the sidewall. (Then again i know people that break 300M shafts and other that have wheeled a D35 for 2 years on 35s without it breaking...)

Also just to mention, I DD my rig over 1000 miles per month easily. So I have a lot of seat time in it.
                        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Giving up on 34/10.5-16 LTB's. I am looking at BFG KM2 size 255/85-16...BFG says its 33.3" tall I think about 10.5" wide. Anyone run this size? I think I could run it on Moab rims without spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                            It's funny that people can totally different experience with the same tires!

Pro-Comp X-Terrains are great for looking like you 4x4, but really don't grip well.
                            It is funny cause I love my X-terrains and have had great success with them. I have no issues with grip.
                            Check out .

Comment

Bah humbug to all of you, it is baja claws for me, who cares about road performance after all it is all about the dirt.

Seriously, I love my claws offroad, but they are bumpy and noisy onroad. I have freinds who give me rave reviews about the MTRs and I am looking hard at them.(I have 2 seasons on the Baja Claws and they are chunked up a bit, but then 2 years of fun have been had.

I also have a friend who has abused the heck out of those pro comps plus does road duty with them, he likes them.

I have the BFGs on the CJ, decent tire, the JK has MT Baja MTX's very decent tire.

I think I will be torn between the MTR's and another set of claws this spring. Both from mine and others experience are great tires for the dirt, it is just ho much road duty you want, Claws are an aquired taste on the road.
                              censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X