Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Tie Rod Kit

Just wondering if this is a good setup or not and how do you like it? any info would be great
    Thanks

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56118_103.htm

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12525

Im saving my pennies for the JCR OTK kit...

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=S6
    95 YJ
    2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

im running the rugged ridge tie rod and drag link its a good deal and very strong
      :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

For the money, Currie's HD steering kit is strong, and fits like stock--saving you a LOT of potential headaches. Even cheaper, but a lot stronger than stock TJ--go with WJ parts.

Few of the crossover kits on the market are really complete solutions, especially in the lower price brackets. Just looking at those two kits above, I would say the same is true of those. You're likely to have clearance issues with the lower trackbar bracket and bolthead, the sway bar axle brackets, the differential housing, and possibly other things. For instance, that JCR OTK kit looks pretty, but is shown with custom, extended sway bar brackets--it wouldn't work worth a crap with the stock ones. Also, I'd bet money that center link will smack the diff cover before you can go lock to lock. Finally, the drag link is hooked to the center link via the tie rod end; take note that the hole in that TRE was intended for a steering damper, not the drag link; that design adds a weak point (long TRE), and makes it even more of a stress point.

If want to invest in a good steering system, but you don't want to get a Curry kit, either research and buy one of the top-end kits ($600.00+), or build your own. I built my own a few months ago, and I learned a few things in the process; I've learned a thing or two more wheeling it, too. Here are some tips:

1) you want heavy-duty offset TREs to mitigate clearance issues with the diff cover and track bar bolt; these are available from Poly Performance, Teraflex, and others. Unfortunately (for me), these don't seem to be available in the large "Chevy 1-ton" tapers.
        2) You'll want to lengthen your axle sway bar brackets and shorten the links. Pre-fabbed brackets are also available from PP and Tf. I can provide links if you like.
        3) Making the tube links is pretty damned easy for even me; you can also buy pre-fabbed links with tube ends.
        4) Things may seem to clear fine on flat ground, but get one of those incomplete or half-assed setups flexed out in a tight spot, and parts will start colliding in hurry.

A final note: my as yet imperfect steering setup works a lot better than my bent-up stock one, and I don't worry much about breaking it.
        Last edited by inVERt'D; 01-13-09, 07:20 PM. Reason: Reformat
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Mine is from these guys, works just fine.
          http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=ste
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

You know, I just noticed all you guys are running YJs? Much of what I said was intended for a TJ audience. Sorry for the verbal explosion...:bonk:
            holes = cowbell

Comment

No worries good advice is always a good thing. I found out a long time ago that a lot of aftermarket parts failed to deliver on their promise. With Jeeps the mantra seems check flex check, to make sure it all works before it binds and breaks

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                Ive been looking at that kit to, I like the fact that it has true 1 ton ends.

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's

Comment

I have a question
                    you guys with tjs switching out to heavy duty tie rods and steering, can I have your old stuff?
                    Really, I mean you do not need it.
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

bummer, i finally threw my old stuff out a couple weeks ago... then again, i really don't think you would want it. I do have a used ProCrap steering damper you could have.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

actually, I use all that told stuff everyone changes for my spares, I always have free spares
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                          actually, I use all that told stuff everyone changes for my spares, I always have free spares
                          I was going to ask the same thing... When I upgrade my steering, I'll be keeping my stock crap for spares. I just hope I don't bust my stock stuff and am forced to upgrade with no spares!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            I was going to ask the same thing... When I upgrade my steering, I'll be keeping my stock crap for spares. I just hope I don't bust my stock stuff and am forced to upgrade with no spares!
                            I jinxed myself:

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                              I jinxed myself
                              You made it out and back home ok--that's not really jinxed

Post up the rest of your pics and stuff Matermeister!
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X