Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    Mike (Malachi) has my old one and loves it.
    DAMN SKIPPY I DO! Mostly cuz a nice bald man gave it to me for free when I rolled my Jeep (wierd, huh?).

Regardless of what type of locker you use, I have strong opinions about which locker that you put in if you only add one. I ran with only one locker for quite a while in the rear (an ARB, and I recommend that brand so far). Now that I have the Aussie up front, everytime that I'm in 4WD, I'm locked in the front. I seldom use the rear locker any more.

I can't speak for playing in sand, but for serious rock crawling or deeply rutted trails, the front locker is DEFINITELY the one to lock IMO! I ran the Dusy and only turned on the rear locker a few times. To get over a vertical obstacle, the front tires need to PULL the weight over. If the front diff is open and one tire loses traction (which happens often), you are now PUSHING the weight of the engine up and over the obstacle.

I have several examples of where I went over an obstacle with only the front locked and a just as capable, or even more so, Jeep that was only locked in the rear had lots of trouble. I've seen it on Shredder, Pumpkineater, and even Cleghorn.

If you wanna play on rocky trails and you only want one locker, Lock The Front. You will not regret it.

I imagine that if you are looking for speed or quick acceleration on loose turf, a rear locker might serve you better, but I don't usually think of Jeeps as high horsepower speedsters.

(...Stepping off my soapbox...) The Aussie was a gift. Of course I love it! But, when it dies or I suddenly find $800 that I misplaced somewhere, I plan to move to an ARB up front. I love the Aussie for it's strength on the trail, but I'd like to have a truly open diff for highway travel.

I don't use Mr. Green as a DD anymore, but when I did, I had a long 'break-in' period where the Aussie made a lot of noise at high speeds. I think that one side was not turning well. This seems to be rare since I am the only person that I have heard of having this issue.

No matter what, unlocked and in a tight turn, you will get a racheting effect. It's annoying, but I don't do U-turns often.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

A locker of any kind makes getting the front on rocks a snap Mike(Malachi) I agree with you on that one and I love both my ARB's works like a charm and so does an ausie locker lots of people like them. On road might be a bit iffy but they work well on the trail

Comment

I ran an Aussie in the front of my CJ for a long time. I really liked it and it worked flawless for me. The only down side I had was when I was making a tight turn I would have to do a three point most of the time. Now I'm running an OX and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Being able to turn it off/on on the fly is great. When I did Dusy I was turning it off/on quite frequently.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          DAMN SKIPPY I DO! Mostly cuz a nice bald man gave it to me for free when I rolled my Jeep (wierd, huh?).

Regardless of what type of locker you use, I have strong opinions about which locker that you put in if you only add one. I ran with only one locker for quite a while in the rear (an ARB, and I recommend that brand so far). Now that I have the Aussie up front, everytime that I'm in 4WD, I'm locked in the front. I seldom use the rear locker any more.

I can't speak for playing in sand, but for serious rock crawling or deeply rutted trails, the front locker is DEFINITELY the one to lock IMO! I ran the Dusy and only turned on the rear locker a few times. To get over a vertical obstacle, the front tires need to PULL the weight over. If the front diff is open and one tire loses traction (which happens often), you are now PUSHING the weight of the engine up and over the obstacle.

I have several examples of where I went over an obstacle with only the front locked and a just as capable, or even more so, Jeep that was only locked in the rear had lots of trouble. I've seen it on Shredder, Pumpkineater, and even Cleghorn.

If you wanna play on rocky trails and you only want one locker, Lock The Front. You will not regret it.

I imagine that if you are looking for speed or quick acceleration on loose turf, a rear locker might serve you better, but I don't usually think of Jeeps as high horsepower speedsters.

(...Stepping off my soapbox...) The Aussie was a gift. Of course I love it! But, when it dies or I suddenly find $800 that I misplaced somewhere, I plan to move to an ARB up front. I love the Aussie for it's strength on the trail, but I'd like to have a truly open diff for highway travel.

I don't use Mr. Green as a DD anymore, but when I did, I had a long 'break-in' period where the Aussie made a lot of noise at high speeds. I think that one side was not turning well. This seems to be rare since I am the only person that I have heard of having this issue.

No matter what, unlocked and in a tight turn, you will get a racheting effect. It's annoying, but I don't do U-turns often.
          I am running the Aussie up front. I installed it (with lots of Rat help). It works great. It does not lock untill the front drive shaft pushes. The Ratcheting is just the by product of the unlocked position and doesn't bother me.

Kurt, that veteran quote you got there. Good stuff. Hence the veteran should never ever have to pay any taxes to the government. Ever. For his/her entire life. Ever.
          "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
          (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
            I am running the Aussie up front. I installed it (with lots of Rat help). It works great. It does not lock untill the front drive shaft pushes. The Ratcheting is just the by product of the unlocked position and doesn't bother me.
            Just so there's no confusion, your Aussie is only unlocked when you're turning left or right around the corner when the outside tire is rotating faster than the inside tire. When you're driving straight, it is indeed locked up 100% of the time It just locks harder when you're in 4Hi or 4Lo so it doesn't unlock as easily during turns.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

im running a lockright in the front on the highway cant tell its there on the rocks works great
              :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Working...
              X