Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie locker

Been looking at getting an aussie for my d44 rear, only thing is that everyone installs it on their front axle (from online research). Is the aussie not good for the rear or what? A locker in the rear is better than just one in the front due to weight transfer. So thats why I'm curious why no one is running an Aussie in the rear. Any thoughts?

My :2: is that if people are going with an Aussie instead of an Ox or ARB is that they're keeping costs down. If you can't really afford to lock both axles, the front is the one people prefer to lock up first. (internet research) The logic behind that is unknown to me, possibly weight placement, tire placement, I dunno further than that.

None of this is facts, just my opinion.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I have an Aussie in my rear 44. It was the only locker available and it has worked flawlessly for over a year now.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

If you DD your Jeep in anyway, I would recommend not locking the front first.

The idea behind that is that if you can get your front end to crawl something, the rear end will easily follow. (Think better pull force then push force)

The reason people dont go with an Aussie in the rear is cause it is a lunch box style locker (it does not replace the carrier, its designed to fit inside of it) and not a "true" locker like a Detroit, ARB, or OX is.

FWIW, I would stick to running a true locker in the rear and a lunch box in the front...

my .02

HTH
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Allen
          I agree that if you lock up the front, you want a selectable locker, I'm running a Detroit in the rear and an ARB up front. Will an aussie locker up front make the front end pull even if no torque is applied to the carrier?
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

The aussie wont affect the front unless you are in 4wd.2wd it will fill like stock. correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Unless you have a vac disco front axle, or have manual locking hubs, i believe there still might be some quarks in turning and such with a locker in the front...
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Front automatic lockers in a TJ are fine, they cause no handling quirks whatsoever. In fact, I can't even tell my No-Slip locker is installed in my front axle unless I shift into 4x4. The reason for that is there is no torque being sent to the front axle in 2wd which allows the locker to remain "relaxed" enough that it causes zero noticeable issues. The No-Slip is virtually undetectable in 2wd, the Aussie and Lockright only click somewhat when in 2wd.

So no, you do not need manual hubs to run a front locker in a TJ or a vacuum-actuated axle disconnect like the YJ does.

But so far as lunchbox lockers go in the rear, I'd definitely choose a Powertrax No-Slip for the rear over an Aussie or a Lockright. The rear axle always has torque being passed through any locker present so it's more critical which locker is installed in the back. Of those three lockers, the No-Slip is by far the best behaved.

Better yet in the rear is the best behaved automatic locker of all, the Detroit Locker.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I thought they work like a detroit they only lock when toque is applied to the pinion gear. Thats why when you turn a corner with a detriot dont hit the gas or you wil be facing the oposite way of traffic in a hurry. They only ratchet a little in tight turns. I have a true trac lsd in the front of mine and I dont notice anything in 2wd mode.

Comment

There is a difference between a trutrac and an ausie locker the true trac is a limited slip and not an agressive one at that. The ausie is a locker that ratchets much like a detroit I don't think it a real good idea to use that in the front of a daily driver with no kind of disconnects in the front be it hub or vacuum disconnect

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                      I thought they work like a detroit they only lock when toque is applied to the pinion gear. Thats why when you turn a corner with a detriot dont hit the gas or you wil be facing the oposite way of traffic in a hurry. They only ratchet a little in tight turns. I have a true trac lsd in the front of mine and I dont notice anything in 2wd mode.
                      All auomatic lockers work the same... their normal mode is locked. They can be locked up lightly as when you're coasting or if it's in the front axle and you're in 2wd, or locked up hard when power is being transmitted through them. Automatic lockers only unlock temporarily when the outside tire starts rotating faster than the inside tire when you're turning left or right. Once you're driving straight again, it locks up.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Jerrys right they are lock up all the time the racheting sound is the noise it makes when the cogs slip past each other in turns. It will work fine in 2wd mode. The reason i put an detroit tru trac in is I feel the dana 30 axles will last a little longer by not putting a full locker in. Tru tracs are used in real military hummvs and are supposed to work better in the mud and snow puting more torque to the wheel thats not slipping. I dont seem to have any problems following some of you guys fully locked other than ground clearence issues with my little 3" lift.99% of the time I dont use my rear ected auburn locker the lsd works really good.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                          Been looking at getting an aussie for my d44 rear, only thing is that everyone installs it on their front axle (from online research). Is the aussie not good for the rear or what? A locker in the rear is better than just one in the front due to weight transfer. So thats why I'm curious why no one is running an Aussie in the rear. Any thoughts?
                          There's a school of thought that says lock the front first, since it's more likely to slip with less weight. I can't say I agree or disagree with it, though. I'd like to see someone with front/rear selectable lockers climb the same hill twice with each end locked.

My personal preference has been to put a locker in the back first.

Comment

I haven't heard from anyone really to lock the front over the rear, I'm surprised so many of you feel the opposite. I know that the Aussie is a lunch box locker, but it does allow me to add a locker without adjusting the R&P like a arb or Detroit would, thats why it is appealing to me.

Comment

Been there, done that. I liked the rear 44 aussie but the front was no fun. Mike (Malachi) has my old one and loves it. I'll take my selectables...
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X