Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing-Away Tire Carrier

I'm looking for input on swing-away tire carrier/ rear bumper combos.

So, here is what i'm looking for:

1) Swing-away is off the rear bumper, not a bracket over the tailgate (i've been told these sag and can even crack the tailgate)

2) Jerry can mounts (or the option to add Jerry can mounts)

3) High-Lift Jack mount (i'd like horizontal, but either works)

Currently i'm looking at the Wilderness system. I've found it for $540, it doesn't include the Jerry can mounts, but they can be added for an additional charge, as well as a Wilderness rack.

I like the ToysbyTroy and Jeeperman one's, but they both seem to lack the options to add Jerry cans.

I'm looking to spend around $600 max, so the Rubicon Express one (which is EXACTLY what i would like is out with it's $1000 cost).

Anyone have any recommendations? Can anyone talk me into one that mounts to the tailgate? (If so i REALLY like the OR Fab one).

I don't want to bother fabbing my own so please don't bother suggesting that. I work with several welders and we've talked about buying one vs. fabbing one, and buying has won every debate. I have no problems bitting the cost of buying one over making my own.

Thanks
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
    AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
    33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
    FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
    Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
    RE Hand Throttle
    Optima Red Top
    K&N Filter [/color]

http://www.bulletproofmfg.com has everything you want, including an airtight rear bumper for non-DOT approved stuff. The price is dear though and expect to wait a while. Having said all that. I find that it is worth it.

Custom 4x4 Fabrication made the Missus' XJ rear bumper. They now make a TJ bumper also that does everything you want except the Jerry can carrier. That could probably be adapted from their XJ blitz can carrier or fabbed up yourself with a MIG.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

www.jcfabdesign.com
      a few of us on the board have one of these. i like mine, and have abused the hell out of it.
      Last edited by NAILER341; 01-19-04, 09:26 AM.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341

www.jcfabdesign.com
        a few of us on the board have one of these. i like mine, and have abused the hell out of it.
        mine is on the way!
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
          http://www.bulletproofmfg.com has everything you want, including an airtight rear bumper for non-DOT approved stuff. The price is dear though and expect to wait a while. Having said all that. I find that it is worth it.
          Bullet Proof is indeed some nice stuff. I used to work for them a while back as their machinist. I think there was something like a 6+ month waiting period, and the cost was astronomical! But you can beat their warranty . . . "you bend it, we bought it."

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
            Bullet Proof is indeed some nice stuff. I used to work for them a while back as their machinist. I think there was something like a 6+ month waiting period, and the cost was astronomical! But you can beat their warranty . . . "you bend it, we bought it."

Sounds like the warranty on my khukuri blade...if you can bend it or break it...they'll give you two.

Comment

How much did ya'll pay for your fabdesign rear bumpers and swing-away tire carrier?? I'm thinking about getting one. Did you guys do the install yourselves?? Can you mount the tire carrier on your stock rear bumper?? Let me know your likes, dislikes etc.
              1997 Green TJ
              RE 3.5 SF Lift Kit w/ RS9000 shocks
              Currie AntiRock, Some KC's and
              some other goodies riding on 33's

Comment

Originally posted by tjdave
                How much did ya'll pay for your fabdesign rear bumpers and swing-away tire carrier?? I'm thinking about getting one. Did you guys do the install yourselves?? Can you mount the tire carrier on your stock rear bumper?? Let me know your likes, dislikes etc.
                Jim's stuff (JC Fab and Design) is top notch. Very high quality and heavy duty. I dont have one, but I know for a fact that they are a stand alone unit, meaning they take place of the factory rear bumper and tire carrier. I have seen the bumpers in action and they can take a pounding.

I will e-mail you when I get a prototype done, but if you can wait, check out Jims stuff . . . I'm sure you'll like it.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I'm thinking down the line a little bit of getting one and just sort of looking at my options. Be sure and shoot me an email when you get a prototype because i'm not in a real big hurry to buy. I'm more worried about the extra weight on my stock tailgate down the road a little bit.
                  1997 Green TJ

Comment

I'm more worried about the extra weight on my stock tailgate down the road a little bit.
                    I have a 33" on there now, and thats pretty much the maximum that should be put on there. I worry about that sometimes as well, but I just try to be as careful as possible when opening and closing . . . making sure to not put any more weight then nessacery.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I'm thinking down the line a little bit of getting one and just sort of looking at my options. Be sure and shoot me an email when you get a prototype because i'm not in a real big hurry to buy. I'm more worried about the extra weight on my stock tailgate down the road a little bit.
                      I'm waitin' on the prototype too.

Chris, I guess you know what your first project is going to be.

Comment

I pretty much figured that 33's would be as big as you wanna go with the stock tires carrier. Every time i speed along a bumpy washboard road I think about it just cracking and bending. I wouldn't really worry about it, but I saw one dude with a 33 on his rear end that was all cracked because of the extra weight and bouncing it around.

I also wouldn't mind having a beefier looking one that can hold some jerry cans and my hi-jack.
                        1997 Green TJ

Comment

There is also the issue of the third eye back there. DOT loves to throw curveballs at you.

I am looking at carrying gerry cans (one gas; one water). After the nearly futile hunt for gas after Anza Borrego last time (I was driving on fumes and Chris was running on spider farts)...I think it's time to get something to hold some extra fuel.

Would be nice to haul a high lift one day and free up the bed of my Jeep with an over the tire rack.

Comment

That third eye is not a state requirement.
                            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                              That third eye is not a state requirement.
                              So it can be nixed when the tire carrier goes on. I am wondering if that would be a factor in a rearend accident (common where I live). I'll check with the office.

Checked with the Vehicle Code...Stop Lamps...may be equipped...not shall be. So you were right. Federal law states the vehicle cannot be sold new without them.

Comment

Working...
                              X