Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if this will work with a YJ? Rat? Anyone? I'm thinkin' I might find out. this sounds like a 'needed' upgade. My steering wheel is wandering as well.
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

i found this write up that says it works.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5686261
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Thanx for the link, this is gonna happen!

Comment

I wouldn't follow that link to the last word. Where he talks about taking off the hoses, just remove the box from the frame, let it hang down so you can reach the fittings (18mm wrench) and disconnect them that way. Screw taking the grill off... And you don't have to remove the pitman arm from the drag link, only from the steering box.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

rat, how long did you stock one last before changing? josh
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
              rat, how long did you stock one last before changing? josh
              about 3 years

Comment

wow when the box wa sleaking on my old 97 i thought i could change the seals and fix it but the internals were screwed. wish i had of known about this fix then, that dodge box is way beefy'er.

Comment

I had this switch out done today, and it has made a lot of difference in the sloppy "See Saw" driving problem and I'll see the differnce on the ATT Holcolm in the "Rock Garden" and trail on Saturday.

Mitch

Comment

I did this mod just before my front springs broke, and now I dunno if the feeling of the steering is the box, the shackles or the new springs! My steering is not as sloppy as before, that's for shure...

Comment

Kurt any updates to this swap?

I did the Durango swap a little less than a year ago, maybe sooner. My steering is WAY out of wack now! I talked to MrBlaine and he was recommending tightening up the freeplay on it by the screw on top of the box. I am hesitant to do this, but I NEED to do something. My steering is really bad, lots of freeplay and wondering.

BUT... after the install, I did have really quick turning etc... Just hope I can get that back!
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                        Kurt any updates to this swap?

I did the Durango swap a little less than a year ago, maybe sooner. My steering is WAY out of wack now! I talked to MrBlaine and he was recommending tightening up the freeplay on it by the screw on top of the box. I am hesitant to do this, but I NEED to do something. My steering is really bad, lots of freeplay and wondering.

BUT... after the install, I did have really quick turning etc... Just hope I can get that back!
                        Mike,
                        You should check the nut that holds the Pitman arm to the sector shaft (steering box output shaft). If that nut comes loose, and it does quite often if it isn't tightened correctly at install, the steering will go freaky bad. Left alone it will fall off and then it gits way ugly. If it's not that nut, I would be asking why the box would wear out in less than a year. How much hard wheeling have you done since the swap? It's pretty strange that the HD box would start having problems, but stranger things have happened. If you do wind up adjusting the sector shaft play do it in small increments. Over tighten it and you'll have new problems.

Comment

well Rat,

the bolt holding my pitman arm could have been taken off by my hands. WAY LOOSE
                          tighten the hell out of that thing!

also found cracked header, new suspension bushing shot, bump stop about to fall off, all tires at 11psi... wow....

also what do you think about steering box braces? worth the insurance?
                          [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

The pitman arm nut needs to be torqued some where in the neighborhood of 350 to 400 foot pound. Also if the arm was loose any amount of time, check the splines. It most likely needs to be replaced, the taper and the splines keep it from coming loose. If that gets beat out, it will work loose again. Not worth risking your life and limbs

Comment

I must admit that I'm one of the people that didn't tighten to proper specs the first time I put my new steering box on. It came loose, but it was one of the first things I checked when the steering went funny. I re-tightened it and it's been fine ever since. It suprised me because I air hammered that sucker on there the first time. Second time... 3/4 inch drive torque wrench...
                              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

thanks for the advice. Ill check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X