Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Duty upgrade- Steering

Max got me to thinking about an upgrade that I've heard about before but never looked into, until now. And with my usual style, I dove right in. The Jeep has been up on blocks for over a month now, and with FITD coming up I decided to get off my lazy arse and do something.
    I did a little research and after calling Max one more time, I went to Napa and ordered a steering box for a 1999 Dodge Durango, 318 CID, Auto, 4x4. Napa P/N NSP 88278139. $249.00 with a $111.00 core.

Apparrently this number has changed along the way. Max gave me a P/N NSP277580, but it don't be no mo.
    So, got it this morning. Compared it to the Jeep steering and there is quite a difference. The Dodge peice is beefy:

Dodge on the Right, Jeep on the Left

Everything bolts up exactly, no grinding or modifying in any way. Even though it is much bigger in diameter, it still clears my steering skid. you may have to do a little modifying on the skid depending on what kind you have. Also, the HD box is 2-15/16 turns to stop, whereas the Jeep one is 3-11/16 turns to stop. But it's barely noticeable.

Here it is installed and ready to go

Make sure you get new o-rings for the two tube connections when you get the box. IT DOES NOT COME WITH THEM!
    There is also some info about possibly needing a smaller pulley to compensate the pump for the increased flow demand of the box, but I have not experienced any ill effects so far. But I'll know for sure after a run in the rocks.
    I also flushed the old fluid and installed fresh synthetic, high temp steering fluid.

I took the Jeep box apart before returning it and found the sector shaft and gear worn to the point where the teeth were skipping. The steering wheel kept moving out of alignment after a day on the trail; now I know why.
    Can't wait to get it on a trail...
    Last edited by RAT; 09-20-08, 03:54 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Did napa take your core for the exchange?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
      Did napa take your core for the exchange?

Yes sir, no questions asked. My Napa parts guy is awsome. Matter of fact, if you paint the Jeep one to look like the new one, I'm guessing most parts guys would'nt even know the difference.

Comment

Nice, ive been wanting to do this Mod to the XJ. It should happen pretty soon. I know that stock box is on its last legs.

Ive heard about buying the smaller pulley as well, its supposed to help the steering be more responsive when under low speed conditions.

This is the one I believe:

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=VPP1001
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Just took the Jeep out for a run. Man does that HD steering box make a huge difference. I thought I was getting a case of bump steer; come to find out it was that sloppy-assed factory steering box. It was just plain worn out. This thing drives like a dream now!

Comment

did you hook that fancy pump to it?
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks for the update and upgrade for a reasonable price........
              It is alway nice to hear that someone experiments as much as I do.......

Brett
              offroadwerkz.com
              (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                did you hook that fancy pump to it?
                No Erik, not yet. I still need a reservoir and some other stuff. That's next...

Comment

Nice job! And a worth while upgrade that won't break the bank. My 02 also has a level of bump steer I haven't been able to fully correct and there is that HD cool factor too. Great post Rat.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                    Thanks for the update and upgrade for a reasonable price........
                    It is alway nice to hear that someone experiments as much as I do.......

Brett
                    Brett,
                    I don't experiment. I know EXACTLY what I'm doing...

Comment

Ok.............. You got me on that one.......LOL !!

Brett
                      offroadwerkz.com

Comment

Kurt,

You had me going on the last comment! Ha Ha.... That reminds me of the time you told me, "You SHOULD be OK". Nice project, I have the same problems and now a possible solution.

Mitch

Comment

Oh ?........... Thanks for backing me up Mitch........LOL !!

Brett

P.S. I do really believe that Kurt is confident and has awsome ideas. He does his research and makes it happen.......... This improvement definately is safety related and is a way better upgrade mechanically than the stock steering box. Especially if you are an avid 4 wheeler that has a modified Jeep.
                          Last edited by fun4wheelerguy; 09-23-08, 09:09 AM.
                          offroadwerkz.com

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                            Brett,
                            I don't experiment. I know EXACTLY what I'm doing...
                            In Kurt speak that means.........Boldly going where no jeeper has gone before, with confidence!

I'm in for this mod as well.
                            Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Love that kind of upgrade--as cheap as stock! Instead of rebuilding my leaky unit, I'll keep an eye out for one of those...
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X