Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard top, or not?

After reading the "Roof rack" thread, I got to think'in about the weight of my LJ hard top. That thing has got to weigh some. Anyone know the diff. in weight between that hard top, and a soft top?
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Don't do it you will fall off a monster cliff in Moab. Actually I just lifted one the other day And I dont really think it will make that much of a diff. I wouldn't run it for fear of rubbing it on a rock, tree, Toyota....They are way to pricey to replace...While a replace a top isnt as bad...
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

So, if I fall off that cliff in Moab,will that super top save me????
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

>well

Yes it will.
        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
          So, if I fall off that cliff in Moab,will that super top save me????
          Doubtful........But, switching to a soft top will save you at least 50-60lbs. probably more. If you have the money, buy a soft top for wheeling and use the hard top when your at home. Now all you need is someplace to store the hard top!
          Money pit!

Comment

I do not know the difference in weight of the 2 tops, but can give you a bit of advice about roof over racks.
            I just had a friend sell his Wilderness rack system he ad run for years, over his hard top and soft top. He loved the setup but said it was way inconvenient when in town. Living in the Culver City area he had trouble with parking garages. etc. with or with out his rack tent system on it. His main complaint was the hight and the top heaviness on a daily basis.
            Besides that, he loved the unit. Just now he has bought a Adventure Trailer.
            I run the Wilderness top rack the attaches to the roll bar, it is only about 6 inches shorter than the bumper/window mount system my friend owned, same company. When we are going anywhere we need the rack, I either drop the soft top, or take the safari top off, and bolt on the rack, takes about 30 minutes total.
            The draw back to this is you run without a top as long as the rack is on, Summer time, no problem. Have made numerous trips like this.
            Recently 4x4 trailers have started to come on strong with guys wanting to set themselves up with longer term camping. I have a number of friends that are switching over. The purpose built units are quit nice, but a bit pricey.
            When running with the rack on, either system you know the weight is there.
            Last edited by blackZZR; 01-25-08, 04:28 AM.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Okay in truth, a hard top will do very little in a hard roll. In a flop it might help a bit...But it will get damaged. I like hard wheeling with a soft top or less for the simple fact I dont want my hard top getting smashed or it acting as a catch all for that wrench you forgot to secure and catching it in the grill...
              Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Even though I am not a 'hard core' wheeler yet,and have yet to worry about the top.... I would like to throw my opinion in....
                I actually own both tops on my LJ.
                To tell the truth, both have great advantages....
                The soft, for obvious reasons, but to add to that, it has the sunrider option (making a sunroof opening), and I can also use it as a Safari like top. Take out the windows, unlatch the sail panels and tuck them up between the roof and the roll bars.
                Now, for the hard top....I know the new softs are a little quieter than the older ones, but the hard makes it easier to hear everything....passenger,radio,cb....also for the easier trails, the windows don't scratch like the plastics. It's also good for the snow. The weight of snow can sometimes cause a little too much sagging in the soft.

I lucked out when I bought my LJ, ok not luck, I paid for the 'dual top' option, but the setup I wanted happened to come with both.
                If you can afford not only the top, but the room to store it, get it...It is rather light, as my wife can help lift it (if no friends are avail.)

I have also made my own cart for it. I studied the one that Quadtratec has in their cat. I made mine from wood. Two furny dollies (from the great Harbor Freight), couple 2x's and some towels....I will post pictures of it if anyone is interested in it.
                The retail version is somewhere over 100, I think mine cost about 40 or so...the dollies were the most pricey part of the project.

NE way, if you are able to afford the opportunity, I'd say go fer it....
                David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

To adress the original question, I think the hard top is prolly twice the weight of the soft top, maybe a little more... the new soft tops are more quiet because they are made with a lil heavier fabric, and then you have the brackets for the top and the rails for the jeep, so it all adds weight. But if you have a/c or a heater, if you want comfort, you like the hardtop. I would not buy a soft top if you have a hard top, I would wheel topless in the summer, and put the hard top on in the winter.
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I have both for my LJ and with the hard top, it's like a car inside! I took it off by myself, once, and has never been on since! That LJ top is heavy, and hard to move around by yourself which is how everything around here seems to be, the soft top is very light, peels off in seconds with 2 screws so for me, aside from the extra noise (turn up the sterio)I like the soft top!

Comment

Originally posted by Double G View Post
                      I have both for my LJ and with the hard top, it's like a car inside! I took it off by myself, once, and has never been on since! That LJ top is heavy, and hard to move around by yourself which is how everything around here seems to be, the soft top is very light, peels off in seconds with 2 screws so for me, aside from the extra noise (turn up the sterio)I like the soft top!
                      Wanna Sell your hardtop!
                      2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

My husband runs a soft top on his 98 TJ and has a congo cage on it, so far nothing has happened with it! Check it out on king4wd1. Then again, we haven't rolled over YET and yet being the word!
                        1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
                        Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Dave,
                          As a fellow desert dweller, need I remind you that it gets freakin' cold here in the winter! I bought a hard top & hard doors for my jeep to get me through the cold weather. As soon as it got warm (or hot!) I took the hard top off and I'm running a bikini top for the summer. It's great fun now for both seasons. Yes the hard top weighs a whole lot more but the trade-off is worth it for me.

For you down-the-hill folks we have only two seasons in the Mojave: Freakin' cold and really freakin' hot...
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger,

Don't forget... for an old guy, you look really good in your summer bikini! Now try it topless. Oh baby

Comment

Mitch, that is one disturbing thought, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X