Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack or Not?

I have the opportunity to buy a Karmaster Congo roof rack. Do you guys like them or not? I don't see to many Jeeps with them. i know it's a matter of opinion and utility, but i was just seeking your opinion.

Roof Rack = Even more wind resistance on an already NON aerodynamic vehicle
    Roof Rack = Even higher center of gravity on an already top-heavy vehicle

My vote is no!

Let us know what you decide, and if it's yes, post pictures!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I run a yakima load warrior rack and have a tire up there works great for me. I dont really feel all this higher COG everyone talks about and aerodynamic shmerodynamic, we all dont drive jeeps for their fuel efficency and arodynamic characteristics. Its a Jeep.
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Allen is right... if Chuck can put all this weight up high and keep his Jeep correctly oriented (rubber side down), you should be ok!

Comment

Roy, what kinds of trails do you want to run? There are some places like Moab where any amount of tippy-ness can mean a deadly fall off a cliff.
          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

no way would I want more weight on top of my jeep. And just the other day I had to stop on the trail and fold down my top, windshield and take the doors off to get past an obstacle so a roof rack would be a little much. just my .02
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
              Roy, what kinds of trails do you want to run? There are some places like Moab where any amount of tippy-ness can mean a deadly fall off a cliff.
              LOL thatd be the first death id heard of because of a roof rack causing a flop over a cliff
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Thanks Matt.
                Their Congo cage is on my wish list. Out of all the racks out there I think it’s one of the best. Holds more weight then the others and is easy to disconnect for top removal. If I could run with out a rack I would. I hate having that stuff hanging off the back. I have two kids so I need the space (maybe I need an XJ now). I have a Confer rack that I’m going to adapt to the Congo cage. I’m only getting it for camping trips. When I’m out locally for the day it will come off. I’m also making a storage box for the inside that is on a quick disconnect system so I can put the seats back when the kids are not with me.
                If you need the space I say go for it.

Check out .

Comment

I had a Wilderness rack on for years. Needed it when I took my 2 kids with me camping/wheeling. It's a great plus for any space concerns. I recently sold it when I bought a truck to tow the Jeep. But when we went on the Rubicon this year, I had to fab up some extra space for the 3 day trip. So, I missed it for that. It did add 6" to height so I couldn't go through the arches at Calico.
                  As for freeway driving, you knew it was up there when loaded down.

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                    LOL thatd be the first death id heard of because of a roof rack causing a flop over a cliff
                    That's cuz the extreme wheelers don't use roof racks hehe
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                      You laugh but the tougher the trail, the more having a low-COG (center of gravity) is important.

Whether he or you do difficult enough trails where a low COG is important is unknown. But personally, if I had a loaded roof rack on my TJ for most of the desert trails I would enjoy, my TJ would be flopped on its side on a regular basis. I even went from a 5.5" to 4.5" suspension lift to lower my COG as much as possible.

Laughing at a responsible poster's COG concern is hardly a good way of responding to that concern.
                      Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-23-08, 11:40 AM.
                      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Thanks Matt.
                        It was meant as a good thing... You don't wheel "extreme" (potentially falling off cliffs) but you definitely do wheel the tough trails, and you're some of the proof that a cooler up high isn't going to make your jeep into a flopomobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          It was meant as a good thing... You don't wheel "extreme" (potentially falling off cliffs) but you definitely do wheel the tough trails, and you're some of the proof that a cooler up high isn't going to make your jeep into a flopomobile.
                          I know. It's all good.

For the OP, It’s all about common sense. If you’re going to wheel on the hammers I wouldn’t run a loaded down roof rack. If you’re going on a nice family camping trip up in Big Bear use a rack for their comfort. Unless the kids don’t mind holding the cooler. JK. I say get the rack go explore and have some fun.:thumbs_up
                          Check out .

Comment

Be careful not to put too much weight up there. I used to run a roof rack on my xj. It held my spare tire and my highlift jack. Although it looked awesome and kept stuff out of the way, It can be summed up in one word, "SCARY"!!!
                            I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                              You laugh but the tougher the trail, the more having a low-COG (center of gravity) is important.

Whether he or you do difficult enough trails where a low COG is important is unknown. But personally, if I had a loaded roof rack on my TJ for most of the desert trails I would enjoy, my TJ would be flopped on its side on a regular basis. I even went from a 5.5" to 4.5" suspension lift to lower my COG as much as possible.

Laughing at a responsible poster's COG concern is hardly a good way of responding to that concern.
                              Calm down dont get your panties in a bunch... I wasent laughing at the concern, i was laughing cause i didnt think a roof rack would cause someone to flop over a cliff and die, if that were to happen i would think that the person was doing something else to cause the flop in the first place.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X