Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's not enough cash to get that puppy on 35's. you'll need more than 4" of lift and a complete rebuild of both axles with new giant brakes (minimum), and it'll be absolutely necessary to replace the transfer case output with a fixed yoke and cv driveshaft.

here are some approx. costs:
    lift kit: $1500
    axle rebuild front and rear: $3000
    tires: $1200
    yoke output and driveshaft: $500

you'll also need a new master brake cylinder, heavy duty steering linkages and possibly an upgraded power steering pump...lots of stuff and it's gonna add up to way more than 6K especially if you can't do it yourself. you should ask yourself what you plan to do with the vehicle first, because that will really help you determine what you need.

also keep in mind that in order to "wheel" the truck, anything not driveline or suspension related does nothing for your "rock crawling performance", so IMO aside from a winch all the other bolt on goodies should come after the driveline stuff if you're really looking to make a major tire size upgrade and increase the wheeling capability.

start your research at jeepbbs.net, those guys are a great resource and also a reality check for giant mods like you're talking about.
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Amazing how quick it all adds up....won't take long to have more put into the Jeep than the Jeep cost in the first place! Hey Josh . . . what's the rush bro? There's still a bunch of trails to wheel where you'll be just fine the way you're set up now and only a handful where you'd be in trouble. Break what you've got then the upgrades will be needed and you won't feel as bad as blowing a big wad on a bunch of upgrades and then breaking those when you haven't even broken what she came with!!!
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Call Robert at RigWerkz 805-479-8998 their in Oxnard. Great work and a true wheeler.
        Or Danny at D&S Autoworks in Santa Paula 805-525-7400 both are very reputable shops and shopping around is a good thing you need that input. Everyone is going to give you their take on suspension and what works. now me I love my Nth Short arm but I am only running 33 street or trail 35. Remember 6 Gs will fly out the door quick spend it on quality the other bolt on stuff can come later. And yes Jim at JC is awesome thats another good one.
        Last edited by New2image; 01-21-08, 10:48 AM.
        2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          Amazing how quick it all adds up....won't take long to have more put into the Jeep than the Jeep cost in the first place! Hey Josh . . . what's the rush bro? There's still a bunch of trails to wheel where you'll be just fine the way you're set up now and only a handful where you'd be in trouble. Break what you've got then the upgrades will be needed and you won't feel as bad as blowing a big wad on a bunch of upgrades and then breaking those when you haven't even broken what she came with!!!
          Joe buddee your supposed to back me up here. there is No rush. I just would like some clearance. I will post a pic of the jeep I want to build.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Sounds like your off to a good start Josh.

JC Fab & Design...Jim does great work, I've learned a lot from that man and i have a lot of respect him as a great person as well as Jeep builder. Most of you know that i work at JC Fab for many years with Jim. He's like a brother to me.

As for Full-Traction...IMHO its one of the BEST out of the box kits you can buy. But, like my fellow tattooed freak Stu said...some of us cant leave well enough alone

The only good advice i can add to this thread is Research, Research & More Research! Figure out where YOU want to go in your rig. Not everyone wants to do the same level of trails. My "HARDCORE" maybe someones "Mall Crawling".

robert@genright.com
            From A Champ To A Chump In Just One Bump!

Comment

Originally posted by calduc View Post
              Joe buddee your supposed to back me up here. there is No rush. I just would like some clearance. I will post a pic of the jeep I want to build.
              It's all good and really what's better in life than getting what you want! I just know that once you go off and do it, I'll be itchin' to do the same so take my advice with a grain of salt! Go For It . . . but along with everybody else, I'd have to recommend steering clear of 4 Wheel Parts for the install . . . seems like there are some local shops with good reputations. I'd have to imagine they'd want to work with you on the deal to keep biz away from the "WalMart of offroad". Not to mention, if I had a Jeep shop and saw someone so obviously infected, I'd make sure that you were my patient!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
                I have a shop that does sales and installs and I specialize in Jeeps....... I am here to help if you need me. Of course all MJR people get special deals. Numerous MJR people have dealt with me and have had no problems.

Brett
                Brett will help you get exactly what you need to survive a tough trail! X2
                [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

if you need to do the fixed yoke on the t-case, save yerself sum money and do the werk y'self, it's easy, and really wetts the hands for real wrenchin' down the road. not to mention saves sum scratch :2:

I did mine first, got the new rear D-shaft for the lift I had yet to purchase, and that way I wasn't out the munnny all at one time, plus you can do the fix yoke b4 the lift if yer gonna have the lift done by someone, and the wont have to mess with it. should save money not having them drop the T-case skid and all that junk. unless yer gonna replace the whole center piece, then its a wash.
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Yeah was trying to get out of installing it myself but looks like I will be. Will probably have a wrenching party slash bbq.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

alright well g0t my parts list together so far of what i am getting.

front and rear alloy axle shafts
                      4 inch ultimate short arm full traction with tri link
                      RE driveshaft complete bolt on
                      4.88 gear kit front and rear
                      Rock Hard 4x4 Ultimate Sports Cage
                      full traction exhaust for this kit
                      Currie Heavy Duty Tie Rod System
                      arb snorkel
                      mx6 shocks
                      xrc 8000 winch and plate
                      and solid diff cover front and rear

anyways got this so far and will get other parts as i go. picked up a set of brand new bfg muds yesterday. I will be installing all of this now.
                      Last edited by womb raider 940; 01-29-08, 08:51 PM.
                      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Are you planning to install the whole schabang??? Gears and all???

Comment

yeah a friend is gonna do the gears i am gonna do shafts and everything else. there will be a wrenching party i dunno when.
                          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

"Dude my dad's a TV repair man and he's got an awesome set of tools . . . I can fix it"

Comment

:confused:
                              Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                              "Dude my dad's a TV repair man and he's got an awesome set of tools . . . I can fix it"
                              i thought your dad was in prison....I am confused:oops:
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Sorry . . . shameless Spicoli quote!

Comment

Working...
                                X