Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Never Ending Project...

Well, as some of you know ive been pretty busy with the Jeep in the last couple weeks. Jimmy (JimmyRig), his cousins (Rudy and Chalito), and myself are building up my Jeep. So far weve made custom rocksliders, and a stinger front bumper. Next weekend were making the rear bumper and then we start making the cage with some surprises here ant there . I also got around to triming up the rear quarter panels and got about 6 inches of clerance out of that. Here are the pics of what weve gotten done so far. Sorry theyre not the best there will be more to come as the project unfolds. Hope you guys enjoy it.
    -Allen

First thing we started out with are making the rocksliders. Pretty much we hit up the Rem piles at the local yard and found nothing less then .120 wall tubing and went to town with it. Theyre mounted through the "frame" rail with grade 5 hardware and 3/16" plates on the feet and on the backside of the rails. It also has a 3/16" plate bolted through the floor which ends taking the place of the pinch seam mount found on most sliders. They also have 1 1/2" block on the feet which are between the body and the slider incase impact does push them upwards. Here's the pics for the sliders...

Last edited by swbooking; 02-13-07, 01:52 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Next I did the trimming on the rear quarter panles. This was fairly easy i followed the directions found in this thread...
    Cutting and Folding Rear Quarter Pannels
    Here are the pics of how that turned out. This mod is cheap and easy, looks good, and makes A LOT of clearance in the rear.

Last edited by swbooking; 02-13-07, 01:29 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

And on Sunday night, we finished up the front stinger bumper. It was probably one of the tougher things to make because of all the wierd angle cuts, but it came out SWEET! We still need to put light tabs on but besides that its perfect. The tubing is 1 3/4" HREW and the actual bumper part is 2X6" .120 wall. It has 3/16" plating along the rail which doubles as a steering box brace on right side the plate is also welded on the the rail. Then there are 2 1/4" thick "L" brackets welded on the actual bumper and 2 3/16" "L" brackets welded to the stock mount points for extra rigidity and strength. (Im not too good at explaining it haha) Here are the pics for that...

Last edited by swbooking; 02-13-07, 01:32 PM.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I would re-think that bumper mounting design. Ive witnessed 2 bumpers tear right off the front of Xj's. Welding a plate like that then only using the stock mounting bolts doesnt really help. Especially if you one day really use that stinger for what its meant for, its going to collapse.
        Id rather have a plate bolted to the unibody then welded.
        especially with welds like this

here is mine.

Comment

Is this really uneven ??

Comment

Yeah i am going to add more bolts running through the rail. Same as other designs, its still and ongoing project. Ive seen/heard of those stories too... and the rails are somewhat purposely made like that... you guys will see why later. and dont talk smack on the welds. The camera and pics are bad theyre actually pretty good. Jimmy has welded for many years and worked for DandC for a long while.
            Last edited by swbooking; 02-13-07, 05:12 PM.

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Dont look at it as smack talking.. It more constructive critisisim(sp)
              This gap right here will make your bumper loosen up.

Notice how close these holes are, its a snug fit. No gap or room for play. And whats with the 2 sized mounting plates ?

Comment

huh, howd you manage to make it snug? put plate in between there, i was looking at that as well. The two different size plates were kinda due to us running out of the same size "L" brackets, but what we used was a thicker wall and a little bigger so we figured it would be OK and the smaller "L" fit better on the inner side. It was sunday and the metal shop was closed. Thanks for the CC Mike

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Yes cause you can tell the quality of a weld by a crappy pic....

Thanks for the CC... we will be adding more to this front as the build continues. This is just a part of a lot of work....but thanks for the pics of your mount we may just copy some of it
                  Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                  Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                  www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
                    Yes cause you can tell the quality of a weld by a crappy pic...
                    I refuse to beleive that its the pic making that weld look bad

Comment

Well besides the one "bad weld" anyone have anything else to say about it?

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Is that the same Jeep I wheeled with last year??
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                          Well besides the one "bad weld" anyone have anything else to say about it?
                          I would, but I'm jealous and speechless! Looks good to these non-fabber eyes... I can't wait to see what it looks like done!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

allen you need to stop building stuff and just get back on the trails. you know you've caught jeep fever when you are making repairs or upgrading your rig more than you actually wheel it.

03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys...
                              Kurt, you remember the very first time i rode with CJBrian and my roommate rode with you? It didnt even have a lift yet... lol

Seriously Mike, every weekend is work on this work on that.. haha but when this project is done were gonna have some fun so watch out for that

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X