Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big project

Well I'm starting on a big project for the winter, I hope to have it done by late march or early April. It's gonna be my "going Commando" project which is converting my 90 wrangler into a Commando. I'm starting with the front end, I got the hood and grill and wil be re-doing the tube fenders. then the plan is cut it in Half and stretch the frame and body around 10 inches in the middle and add like 4 to the back, but haven't made up my mind yet on the back. I'll post some pic's soon.
    75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

sounds cool. keep us posted. :thumbs_up
    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

wouldn't it be easier to start with a CJ7? If you still needed to lengthen it, than it wouldn't be so much of a hassle.
      WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
      [_____]
      (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
      []--o---[]

Comment

If you start with a CJ or Commando (don't forget it was 1972...) frame, you might as well build your own. Ask GoinCommando, he skinned his frame because it would have fallen apart if he didn't. Even my 86 CJ has some frame "issues" that I've had to deal with. I would take a Wrangler frame any day over anything pre-1990. Better yet, buy a one of those fancy ready made beefed up CJ-8 frames and slap the Commando body on it There is no difference in hassle of lengthening one frame over the other and a CJ-7 frame is not long enough.
        1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
        My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I'm sticking with my 90 Wrangler frame because it is much stronger that the CJ frames. The only Commando body parts are going to be the hood and grill. (well the little turn signal "ears" that attach to the grill) I have the whole grill but after much thinking it was better just to use the "ears" (lack of better word to use) and attach them to my current CJ grill because of rad. mounting issues. and for the body I'm gonna splice in sheet metal. So over all it's gonna be a 90 wrangler with a commando hood and grill and stretch the body like a unlimited TJ. It like half retro/90's jeep. Over all if a mess it up real bad I'll just buy one of beefed CJ-8 frames and tub.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the hood, grill and the new tube fenders. Still working on them I'll give a full write up and more pictures soon.
            http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sgtkar.../ph//my_photos

Comment

OOO, I really like the turn signals!!Hmm...I wonder if there was a way you could fab the hood to still use your old side fender flare style turn signal, it would make your turn signal more visible in traffic, and might have that retro crossed with newage style feel that all these big car companies are trying imitate these days. (Like the new mustang? and the 2004 Bronco concept?)
              WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
              [_____]
              (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
              []--o---[]

Comment

watcha gonna do with the old tube fenders?
                I have a Jeep

Comment

I hacked them up for parts (old tube fenders)

Comment

got any pics yet??
                    therockgods.com 1.)1989 YJ SPOA 38s(possilby for sale)2.)1991 Cherokee DD 3.)1975 International Truggy in progress...

Comment

OK here are some updated pictures. I still have to "skin" them and I think I'm gonna add a flare like the poison spiders ones. then I will be done with the fenders.
                      http://new.photos.yahoo.com/sgtkarbo...60762342684857

Comment

Originally posted by rick View Post
                        If you start with a CJ or Commando (don't forget it was 1972...) frame, you might as well build your own. Ask GoinCommando, he skinned his frame because it would have fallen apart if he didn't. Even my 86 CJ has some frame "issues" that I've had to deal with. I would take a Wrangler frame any day over anything pre-1990. Better yet, buy a one of those fancy ready made beefed up CJ-8 frames and slap the Commando body on it There is no difference in hassle of lengthening one frame over the other and a CJ-7 frame is not long enough.
                        =<33" tires - Commando frame good enough
                        >33" tires (as in 35", 36" and some lockers or spool) - Commando frame not so good
                        1972 Jeep Commando

Comment

Working...
                        X