Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Welder?

I'm looking at a couple different welders. The ones I'm looking at are of the 250 amp variety, from Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart. Anyone have the good, the bad, and the ugly on these?
    -Chris
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

220V or 110V

I am thinking about a little 110 mig, cuz i'm really only going to use it for smaller stuff. Opinions? I know Nailer has a 110 and seems to like it. I guess the 220 are worth the extra $$ if you need to weld anything over about 5/16" thick. Likewise, i would like to know what brands are worth their salt.
    1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
    My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

It Basically comes down to prefferance . My personal pref is Miller Welders I own a few . Hobart is now Being produced By miller So pick a color basically . Lincoln makes a fine product ! Just not my favorite , Also ... Really look into it , if you think your only gonna weld 1/4" , buy a welder capable of 3/8" Always buy "more" than you need . If your welder is "Capable" of Single pass 1/4" welds you will be running at max levels when trying to weld 1/4 " passes . save your money a little longer and by a bigger machine . Right now I am saving for a Big Tig !!! ( Miller of course )

JIM :{>
      Last edited by jim79cj7; 05-31-03, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim79cj7
        It Basically comes down to prefferance . My personal pref is Miller Welders I own a few . Hobart is now Being produced By miller So pick a color basically . Lincoln makes a fine product ! Just not my favorite , Also ... Really look into it , if you think your only gonna weld 1/4" , buy a welder capable of 3/8" Always buy "more" than you need . If your welder is "Capable" of Single pass 1/4" welds you will be running at max levels when trying to weld 1/4 " passes . save your money a little longer and by a bigger machine . Right now I am saving for a Big Tig !!! ( Miller of course )

JIM :{>
        Thats what I want to hear! If you havent hear, Jim, I'm a welder fabricator also. I lean more toward ornamental ironwork . . . tables, chairs, headboards, stuff like that. I'd like to break into jeep fabrication one of these days I'm plannig to open my own iron works shop with in a year
        -Chris
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

that explains the wrought iron rocker guards :o

Comment

Originally posted by cbremer
            that explains the wrought iron rocker guards
            well at least you spelled it right

It wasnt me it was the welder I was using!! Damn lincoln mig pak 100, doesnt like 3/16's :p

Time spent on rock rails = 2 hours
            :p :confused:

dont look too closely, cause they're ugly, but they work . . . sorta
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Like Jim, I have a preference for Miller.

I owned a Lincoln WeldPac 110 and upgraded it to a Hobart 135 w/Gas. Inner shield is OK for small projects once in a while and it is portable, but it does not do as good as solid wire w/Gas.

I also have a Miller ThunderBolt XL for my ARC needs (up to 225A).

I also have the Miller 625 Plasma Cutter. I've been thinking of junking the Hobart and Thunderbolt XL in favor of a bigger Miller MIG/TIG machine. Still thinking about it.

Any of the Name Brand machines are good, you just have to research what you want to do versus how much machine you can afford.
              BullDog Dave
              Keep the rubber side down (mostly)
              1975 CJ-5 (Partially)

Comment

Working...
              X