Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding helmet

After a day or cutting with the ARC and welding my head is killing me and I get white spots in front of my eyes. Only got flashed once, so I'd say my helmet sucks.
    What's good in an auto darkening helmet? Figure I'll let the wife buy me one.
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

To start with, make sure your lens is dark enough!!!! If you are arc welding, look for a #12 or better. #10 is dark enough for MIG work.

As far as auto-helmets, mine is made by "Arc-one". It is a fixed shade 10 (all I do is MIG work), but they do make a adjustable lens, goes from 9 to 13 with the twist of a knob. The response time on mine is a bit slow IMO. When I strike an arc, I get just a hint of flash from it....just enough to make you think "oh Schit!" and slam your eyes shut....but by the time that thought process is complete, the lens has "done its thing"....That may be normal, this is the only auto-darkening helmet I have used, so I can't compare it to anything. To compensate for the reaction time, I just "blink" when I pull the trigger....that is long enough for the lens to react.

As for long term reliability.....I couldn't tell you. I only used it once (and that was just because I had a new toy and wanted to play with it). I bought it when I got my plasma cutter just before I quit my job and moved to AZ.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

The $59 one from Harbor freight is excellent.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Second the Harbor freight helmet. though I had to pay $89 for it.
        '02X, 2" RE BB, 33x12.50, MileMarker E9000, Big Daddy Front Bumper, etc...
        www.blueridgeoffroad.com

Comment

I have been using Huntsman helmets for years . I bought the new Miller Auto darkening Helmet and it is the nicest I have used . I also have the H/F auto Darkening Helmet and for the money ( a $220.00 difference ) It can't be beat !!!

JIM :{>

Comment

Autodarkening Helmet

I too have the H/F autodarkening helmet (silver colored, adjustable). I paid $89 on sale. The only problem I have had with it is that the strap broke. Also, if you get to an area where the weld flash may be hidden from the sensor, it goes back to normal! But I think any automatic helmet would do that.
            BullDog Dave
            Keep the rubber side down (mostly)
            1975 CJ-5 (Partially)

Comment

i have the lincoln helmet.. i like it, but it has the small lens area. i have had no problems with it, nor scary "better blink" experiences. i'd like to try another one to compare it to though
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
              X