Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Mount Moving

my body mounts have seen better days, and it is time to do something with them. i have begun cutting them off, and fabbing some new ones. the new ones eliminate the body lift pucks, which raise them up on the frame, and out of the rocks.

here are some pics of what i have done so far.

you have to love a plasma cutter

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Damn Erik thats some nice looking work!
    Michael

[sign]nlm mln[/sign]

Comment

well, i just finished this up.
      here are some pics of the finished product. this gained 2.5" of clearance, and got rid of the body lift at the same time.

now, the next thing i have in mind is to streamline the rear spring mount. i havent quite decided what i am going to do here, but i plan to change the angle slightly so it slides over rocks better, and hopefuly shorten it up a bit.

suggestions are welcome, and appreciated.

ERIK

Comment

very spiffy Erik!
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Very clean looking Erik!

any chance you could simply whip me up a new floor pan? :wink:
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by clarksinca
            any chance you could simply whip me up a new floor pan? :wink:
            you are welcome to join us on a jeep working weekend, and use the welder and plasma cutter while we all chip in on each others rigs
            ERIK

Comment

Got some extra pucks you can throw my way? I'm fabbing some frame tie ins for my more cage.
              “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
              -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                now, the next thing i have in mind is to streamline the rear spring mount. i havent quite decided what i am going to do here, but i plan to change the angle slightly so it slides over rocks better, and hopefuly shorten it up a bit.

suggestions are welcome, and appreciated.
                Erik, way to go. Those mounts are sweet, another couple of good hits and I'll need some myself.

If your gonna' make new spring mounts, have you thought about moving them back? I'm sure you have thought about it - what's the verdict?
                "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Originally posted by aston
                  Erik, way to go. Those mounts are sweet, another couple of good hits and I'll need some myself.

If your gonna' make new spring mounts, have you thought about moving them back? I'm sure you have thought about it - what's the verdict?
                  You have to remove the stock fuel tank to move them back (I'm assuming you mean to extend the wheelbase, not to put a shorter spring on). At least on mine you do. I have been thinking about this also as I stare at the bare rear crossmember and all the glory of an extra few inches of wheelbase I was thinking about a pair of 8 gallon fuel cells offset to the sides to make room for the pumpkin between them. The only problem is that's a $500 sentence, and it'd be a PITA to fill two tanks all the time. There's too much space under there to waste by moving the tank up top, so there's not another "cheap" solution that I could figure out anyway. I think in order to move the springs back you have to either accept that your gas tank will be in the back seat, or you have to pony up the bucks for some properly dimensioned fuel storage underneath that doesn't interfere with the axle.
                  1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                  My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

nice work erik.

this weekend I'll let ya try that out on a TJ. :yay: :cactus:
                    myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

way nice, I like what it does for moving the bracket out of the way and how you can cut down on the fulcrum affect of long body mount bolts. I like what body lifts do but not what has to be done to do it, that cures the concerns

what guage and size metal square tube and how long of a peice did you use?
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

thanks for the compliments guys.

Originally posted by paulhead
                        Got some extra pucks you can throw my way? I'm fabbing some frame tie ins for my more cage.
                        they are 2"... if you need a couple, let me know.

Originally posted by aston

i have thought about extending the wheel base, but as rick said.. it is an expensive undertaking. at this itme i am planning to just shave the bottom off as much as possible. maybe raise the bolt hole on the mounts a bit, so i can shave it just a bit more.

Originally posted by blackZZR
                        way nice, I like what it does for moving the bracket out of the way and how you can cut down on the fulcrum affect of long body mount bolts. I like what body lifts do but not what has to be done to do it, that cures the concerns

what guage and size metal square tube and how long of a peice did you use?
                        i never had any negative effects from the body lift. the mounts were getting ripped apart by the rocks though. the main reason i did this is so i have one less thing to get hung up on. if i am going to be out playing with these TJ's i i have to do what i can to keep up with them.

Originally posted by blkTJ
                        nice work erik.

this weekend I'll let ya try that out on a TJ. :yay: :cactus:
                        bright and early. i dont think you'll need the hole saw, but a rat-tail file would be handy.
                        ERIK

Comment

try something like this for your spring hangers http://tommyjeep.com/projects/2003-1...sion/index.asp

Also, your e-brake cable will be the next victim there. Maybe it's time to swap to a car/TJ style set up and route the cable better.
                          I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

i was thinking about doing something similar to this, but am not so sure i want the long ass shackles in the back that i would need to make up for the frenching of the springs.
                            thanks for the link though.
                            any others?
                            ERIK

Comment

Cut and turn the knuckles, no need for a longer shackle
                              I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Working...
                              X