Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Long Arms

Anybody have any good ideas for building a set of front lower long arms... Johnny Joints? Tubeing thickness? I need a stonger set than the ones I have due to running the arms over rocks, they bend after a couple of hits.. Anything would be good!

Thanks...
    That's a BIG rock!

As I understand it, most of the mass produced long arms are .250 wall chro-mo. If you want stronger, go with thicker walls or larger OD and the same wall thickness. I prefer the RE cartridge style joints over the Johnny Joints because of the threaded plate holding it all together rather than just a snap ring. PSC sells some bushings pre-mounted on a threaded stud that would work great on one end (cuts down on the noise and vibration transferred to the frame) with the RE style joints on the other end.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Who is PSC?
      That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Do you have a tube bender?
        I have seen a several that tuck up high and then bend down to clear rocks.
        Have Smackos, will travel

Comment

PSC = http://www.spydercustoms.com/

Another good source for parts and tubing is http://www.bluetorchfab.com and http://www.polyperformance.com
          04 TJ w/ stuff

Comment

Nope no bender, would love to have one but no room...
            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
              As I understand it, most of the mass produced long arms are .250 wall chro-mo. If you want stronger, go with thicker walls or larger OD and the same wall thickness. I prefer the RE cartridge style joints over the Johnny Joints because of the threaded plate holding it all together rather than just a snap ring. PSC sells some bushings pre-mounted on a threaded stud that would work great on one end (cuts down on the noise and vibration transferred to the frame) with the RE style joints on the other end.
              Actually most are .120 wall. Not even chromolly. Chromolly is way too expensive.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                Actually most are .120 wall. Not even chromolly. Chromolly is way too expensive.

Whose arms are .120 wall?
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I will be useing .250 wall.
                  That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn

Well, some short arms are, but all of the long arm companys use thick tubing.

Rubicon Express uses 4340 Chromo 2.0" o.d. .250 wall

Rockkrawler uses solid stock 1.5" od

Full-Traction uses 2.0" od .250 wall D.O.M.

Fabtech uses 2.0" od .250 wall D.O.M.

claytons uses 2x2 .250 wall square tubing

Toys By Troy uses Heat Treated 7075 Alloy

I dont see any .120 wall in there??

the short arms are usually .140 wall

sometime you will see the upper arms at .120 wall, but rarely
                    UHH....DUUUHHH

Comment

I am also making my own long arm susp for my TJ.

I will be making the arms out of DOM 1020 2.5" .5 wall.

The cartridge joints will be the Summit machine sold on pirate 4x4 by Poly Performance, Mad4wd and PORC. Summit also made the RE joints in teh past before RE bought their own tooling.

Plan on buying the mounting brackets and truss from Claytons.

Comment

What are cartridge joints?
                        That's a BIG rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Barker
                          Do you have a tube bender?
                          I have seen a several that tuck up high and then bend down to clear rocks.
                          Gotta love long arms that look like this and this ... Here's the website. ... not sure about those "gyro"-joints though.
                          Last edited by seapahn; 10-02-05, 07:42 PM.
                          03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                          "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
                            Out of curiosity, how many Johnny Joints have you seen with a blown out snap ring?
                            I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine
                              Out of curiosity, how many Johnny Joints have you seen with a blown out snap ring?
                              Thank you. If it works, what's the problem with it?

My JJ's are squeaky though, anyone know why? They are hard to get grease into. I bent a lower arm on the 'con this year, Currie tie rod too. Just slightly, but a little nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X