Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical System Upgrade

I have begun my electrical system upgrade.
    so far i have removed the old alarm system, and all of the half ass installed electrical circuits i have ever added to the system.

in the past i have used those things that you plug into your fuse box to add a new circuit. they were ok for the time, however i wound up with 4 of them.
    in order to keep the electrical system sound, and minimize chances for failure i am adding some boat circuitry.

this is the auxiliary fuse box that will protect everything that didnt come with the jeep from the factory.
    things like the cb, air compressor, lighting, etc...

i do have a dual battery system in my jeep, which was being isolated with a cole hersey isolator. those types of isolators have a high resistance, and a lot of voltage drop.

click the picture to see the charging solenoid info. this is a really trick piece of electrical.
    it charges one battery at a time, going back and forth between them. when severe loads are being put on the system, like durring winching, it will isolate, and protect the secondary battery.

it can be switched from inside the cab to put the batteries in paralell, or manually protect the primary battery, or do its own thing charging both batteries.

rather than having so many wires going directly to the battery, i will install this "bus" to distribute the high amp cables to their designated areas.

for example, there will be a cable from the battery to the bus to energize it, then the auxiliary fuse box, winch, etc.. will be connected here so there is little to no resistance.

all other items like the cb, viair back-up compressor, etc.. will all be home runs to the new auxiliary fuse box. trouble shooting will be easy, and less likely to be needed.

i'll get some pictures of the parts,a nd progress.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 05-17-05, 07:19 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Nice! So are you dumping the current fuse box?
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

i didnt finish my initial post..

no, i will be isolating all of the "extras" from what the jeep came with from the factory. if something catastrophic happens, i can just disconnect everything that isnt needed to make the jeep function.

this is something i have been wanting to do, and the mobi-arc burning up from the winching load just pushed it to the front of the list.
      ERIK

Comment

How big is your alternator???
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

my alternator is 165 amp. it is a big mova.
          when i get this finishad it will be one mean electrical system.
          i think i will be hard wiring in the inverter as well with one 110v. receptical for charging the camera batteries, and grinder if needed.

i havent decided on a location for the inverter yet. still up in the air on this one.
          ERIK

Comment

rock on! looks sweet
            good luck

Comment

"are my brake lights working?"
              "are my brake lights working?"

Ghost of Calico

Comment

Sounds awesome. As far as the isolator, I would personally go with something completely solid state (no moving parts) such as hellroaring but that relay looks pretty cool. It can candle more current but the hellroaring is good for 200 amps continuous, 300 for 15 secs, and 500 max so it's probably more than enough.

In any case, the setup sounds sweet! What kind of batteries do you have? I'd make the main one a deep cycle for sure.
                03 Rubicon, 6" FT long arms, 35x12.5 MTRs
                "Jeep is a kind of vehicle for which you have to buy a $250 security console in order to install and store a $40 CB radio. " --Me.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
                  my alternator is 165 amp. it is a big mova.
                  when i get this finishad it will be one mean electrical system.
                  i think i will be hard wiring in the inverter as well with one 110v. receptical for charging the camera batteries, and grinder if needed.

i havent decided on a location for the inverter yet. still up in the air on this one.
                  Cool set up. Will you put a fusible link between your new fuse box and the power cable to it?
                  Donate Life - Be a tissue, organ and blood donor

Comment

here are some progress pictures of the wiring.
                    everything is coming together.
                    ERIK

Comment

lookin' good erik.
                      myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

what a mess!

Looks good
                        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

you need to make one of those switches say "passenger seat eject" hehe

Comment

Hey Erik.

Any pics of this completed project? I'm pretty curious. Wiring has always completely baffled me, and left me with blackened fingers in the end. Then I have to call dad to see what I'm doing wrong.

He normally tells me, "...disconnect the battery before you start working on it."
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Is this the first Erik project that did *not* involve welding?
                              "your jeep looks so hot!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X