Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a heavy duty 242

I have been in the process of building myself a heavy duty 242 from 242 AMG and 242 J parts. The main reasons are for a strong 32 spline shaft, bigger chain/cogs, and a 6 planetary low range set. There are other reasons and better parts I have used also. The 242 doesn't have aftermarket support for heavy duty kits and as most should know the mainshaft can break just like a 231 where the speedo gear rides (saw this happen in Moab last year) and this was a main reason behind it. Another was I wanted to be different. Below are some pictures and a link to more photos with descriptions to the various parts.

Mike R

Here's some pictures of the inside parts.

More photos and descriptions here http://www.fototime.com/inv/EA5F034F3F641BC
    88 XJ Wagoneer/06 Frontier NISMO KC
    "Got Groceries ?"

looks awseome !

What are doing for speedo drive ? I noticed on the pics on your link , the bottom shaft which is what I am assuming the one you used , has no spiral cut s for speedo ?

For those of you who have nevers seen Mikes Rig . It is the ULTIMATE sleeper , I met mike and his wife at last chance about a year ago , i happen to eye this grocery getter ( with wood panels intact ) that looked a little different . It is one Cool and capable rig .

Ok thats enough Ass kissing .. Mike when are you gonna come out with us ? so you can show how to get grocerys from the Depths of Hell ?

JIM :{>

Comment

I am not sure right now. The 93 AMG had a plastic gear that slipped on the shaft (like a 231HD) but due to changes in the rear output bearing size I can't use that setup. The 94-up AMG's use a tone wheel that fits in the same place on the shaft and you can see the two wire sensor in the place a normal gear driven sensor would go. I am hoping to use this in some way but I would need to convert to a later electric speedo.

I'm not married though. I did have a good time at Last Chance, Bickle Camp, and Burro-Schmidtt Tunnel. I would like to explore some more around there.

Ah Shucks, Thanks.

I need to do some more things to my Jeep but I would like to when I can go wheeling with you again. I am trying to get some stuff done before the NAXJA Moab event in October.

Last edited by MJR; 08-17-03, 11:54 PM.
      "Got Groceries ?"

Comment

Hey MJR is that avatar you in Mickey's hot tub? your a madman!!! :yay:
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

Originally posted by blkTJ
          Hey MJR is that avatar you in Mickey's hot tub? your a madman!!! :yay:
          Why yes it is. Here is one of me going up Lion's Back.

"Got Groceries ?"

Comment

Working...
          X