Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Rubicon drive train to retrofit TJ?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use Rubicon drive train to retrofit TJ?

Will it work out for me to retrofit parts from a rolled Rubicon in a 2000 TJ Sahara?

Why do I want to? I want to have Dana 44's in the rear and lockers. Heard that the transfer case is superior and ifyourgonnawhydontya then a new front end.

I was told that the electrical interface makes it a no-go, I have read that I can put in switches to control pumps for the lockers. Just won't have protection for <10 mph and only low range.

Can I replace just the rear end? Will the gearing match or will I need to change front and rear and transfer case?

What don't I know enough about that will bite me in the butt?

You can swap the whole shebang, wiring the lockers isn't terribly hard, speedo you need a speedo healer to get the correct speed on your speedo.
    Ask Russ Chungf for what's all involved he has had the same thing done

Comment

I had Chris Fields (Dukes69) and Blaine Johnson (Mr. Blaine) replace the transfer case, driveshafts and axles on my 2005 TJ "X" with the NV241 transfer case, front and rear D44 axles with Rubicon lockers, locker pumps, rear disc brakes and Tom Woods driveshafts front and rear. Everything bolted right in. They also replaced the stock skid plate with an AEV Tummy Tucker, and they added 1" spring spacers, a 1" body lift and a JKS motor mount lift. I have 33" tires, and I didn't need to recalibrate the speedometer (it indicates 65mph when my GPS says that I'm doing 66mph). I didn't need to change the brake proportioning valve when I switched from rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes. I used my sPOD switches to control the lockers. The only thing that I haven't gotten around to doing is hooking up the 4WD indicator light; the indicator switch that was on my NV231 transfer case doesn't work on the NV241 and the switch on the NV241 transfer case doesn't work with the PDC on my TJ "X". There is a thread on JeepForum.com that describes how to find and wire a switch that will work.
      Last edited by Russ Chung; 09-18-14, 06:47 PM.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

Well Art is here. So pretty much anything is possible
        You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Working...
        X