Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Tumbleweed. Hows it ride all loaded up over the rear axle, compared to hanging off te back?

I'm gonna take my swing away off the bumper Saturday morn, load the tire, tool box, and ice chest in the back with some pieces of metal to simulate the weight of a rack and see how it's gonna ride before making any decision.

Still trying to figure out how I can haul some extra gas safely with this set up. Was thinking a couple of thin Roto Pax fuel cans on the back of the gate may work? I'm thinking they may be the same width as a rear bumper and that could offer a little rear end collision protection. I don't like the idea of low mounted fuel cans out the back but I'd only need haul them maybe once a year. Maybe even a small removable alumin ice chest rack mounted higher up with roto pax cans mounted to it? I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Gary; 04-25-12, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
      I ditched the spare and carry CO2 and a plug kit. We have fixed some pretty good rips in sidewalls with plug kits. Spare sits on the trailer in camp or staging area.
      Thought about that to but I drive my jeep to trails sometimes instead of trailering it. If I tore a good size gash in a tire and filled it with plugs I'd be a little worried about driving it back on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
        Thought about that to but I drive my jeep to trails sometimes instead of trailering it. If I tore a good size gash in a tire and filled it with plugs I'd be a little worried about driving it back on the highway.
        I chose the tub route as I flat tow to the trail and would be a bit worried going home with a mess of plugs if I got a gash in the sidewall. Plus at the time I ran 33x10x15's. No one else I wheeled with ran that skinny of tire. I always told myself that when my kids stopped going with me that I was going to convert the tub into my tire storage area.

Comment

Jason, when you moved the tire inside how was the ride compared to the tire hanging out the back?

Comment

Looks good Tumbleweed. Hows it ride all loaded up over the rear axle, compared to hanging off te back?

I'm gonna take my swing away off the bumper Saturday morn, load the tire, tool box, and ice chest in the back with some pieces of metal to simulate the weight of a rack and see how it's gonna ride before making any decision.

Still trying to figure out how I can haul some extra gas safely with this set up. Was thinking a couple of thin Roto Pax fuel cans on the back of the gate may work? I'm thinking they may be the same width as a rear bumper and that could offer a little rear end collision protection. I don't like the idea of low mounted fuel cans out the back but I'd only need haul them maybe once a year. Maybe even a small removable alumin ice chest rack mounted higher up with roto pax cans mounted to it? I'll figure it out.
            I haven't wheeled with the rack in yet. Put it in for the 1st time Sunday. I'm head'n out to AZ this weekend. Gonna hit some trail in the Table Mesa area. I'll have a better report next week.

I have wheeled with no carrier, and the spare in the back. It made a huge, noticeable difference. Climbing was much easier. There was no anchor holding me down. Also, I only hit my gas tank once. Usually I hit it all day long. I've never had an up grade be so noticeable.
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Jason, when you moved the tire inside how was the ride compared to the tire hanging out the back?
              The ride didn't feel as sloppy or back heavy. If you've ever backpacked, it's like that feeling you get when you take off a 40# pack and walk around.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                I haven't wheeled with the rack in yet. Put it in for the 1st time Sunday. I'm head'n out to AZ this weekend. Gonna hit some trail in the Table Mesa area. I'll have a better report next week.

I have wheeled with no carrier, and the spare in the back. It made a huge, noticeable difference. Climbing was much easier. There was no anchor holding me down. Also, I only hit my gas tank once. Usually I hit it all day long. I've never had an up grade be so noticeable.

Sounds good Tumbleweed. Making me lean more towards doing this.

Comment

Thanks Jason, Never back packed but I know what your saying.

Comment

just got back from 5 days in Colorado... it seems every 5 vehicles there is a built Jeep of some sort... Have a great trip Joe.. wish I could join you... I like how the rack came out... let me know if you figured out how to make it work with an ARB fridge on top or if that height is too high to get into the fridge easily. I don't think I could ever fit my 37" spare in the rear but would love to lighten my azz

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                      just got back from 5 days in Colorado... it seems every 5 vehicles there is a built Jeep of some sort... Have a great trip Joe.. wish I could join you... I like how the rack came out... let me know if you figured out how to make it work with an ARB fridge on top or if that height is too high to get into the fridge easily. I don't think I could ever fit my 37" spare in the rear but would love to lighten my azz
                      Yeah, not sure what I'm gonna do when I go to a bigger tire. But thats way down the road.

If you got rid of all the weight you put back there, where would you put all those fancy lights.

Comment

Back from a great wheel'n weekend in az. The performance of the jeep is great with the rack inside. With the weight, over the axle, not behind the jeep, it felt much more stable. The jeep didn't lurch, or bounce as much. This really helped me stay on my line, when in a position where slipping off would prevent progress. Also, climbing is night and day. The jeep was a mountain goat. There were a couple times when I got to a waterfall, everyone stopped to watch me climb, cuz its a problem spot. To everyones surprise, I walked right up. The way my jeep performed. I will never go back to an outside tire carrier.

Comment

This confirms my findings also. As far as going to a 37" tire it will probably fit with it deflated. Fridge! WTF bret! this also confirms my thoery your building a limo lol. HEHE LMK when your ready to do the "real stretch" my buddy does it for a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                            This confirms my findings also. As far as going to a 37" tire it will probably fit with it deflated. Fridge! WTF bret! this also confirms my thoery your building a limo lol. HEHE LMK when your ready to do the "real stretch" my buddy does it for a business.
                            On this trip I learned something. My jeep is built to handle the level of trail, that I'm willing to do in my daily driver. I did 7 trails in 3 days. 6 of the trails were equal to or harder then Sledgehammer or Sun Bonnet in JV. My grand plans of 37's and a stretch are now out the window. I pushed my jeep to the limits. It's nice to know what my jeep is capable of. It's better to know that, until I'm ready to go to the next level, I have a jeep that will go where I'm willing to go. Experience is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Great to hear Joe. It sounds like your Jeep is right where it out to be for you. Wheel the heck out of it now I know mine would do even better if i did a similar set up, however I want to be able to drive my Jeep for a week straight "overlanding" and live out of it on the trail. I don't need to be a mountain goat for now I have to make another $100,000 to buy a crazy tow rig...and trailer...and helicopter...and elephant..and...

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                                Great to hear Joe. It sounds like your Jeep is right where it out to be for you. Wheel the heck out of it now I know mine would do even better if i did a similar set up, however I want to be able to drive my Jeep for a week straight "overlanding" and live out of it on the trail. I don't need to be a mountain goat for now I have to make another $100,000 to buy a crazy tow rig...and trailer...and helicopter...and elephant..and...
                                Well sell, sell, sell Skeeter, or get better at rednecking and built some of the stuff you want or need

Comment

Working...
                                X