Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front TJ shaft to rear?

Kinda wondering if anyone knows why you never hear about someone taking a front (cv) shaft from a junkyard TJ, and cutting it down to use on the rear. At first glance, the joints look the same size ('course I can't easily measure mine due to the mangled skid plate). It would be cheaper than having one built (even after you figure in the cost to re-balance it once you weld it back together).

Any thoughts?
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

It seems to be done fairly frequently with XJ driveshafts. I have one sitting in the garage awaiting a date with the chopsaw to turn into a trail replacement "kit" (separate double cardan joint from shaft, mark shaft to maintain u-joint phase and also mark 0.5" increments to help guide hacksaw shortening process).

Why not TJ? Dunno, cuz there aren't as many lying around in boneyards?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

XJ huh....brings another thought to mind....do all late model jeeps share a common U-joint? They share a common front axle and common t'case....from a manufacturing standpoint, keeping components the same makes sense across product lines....so would a xj front shaft work?

JM, wanna do me a favor? Measure a u-joint cup diameter, and the width of the u-joint (endcap to endcap) on that shaft you have in the garage so I can compare it to my rear driveshaft. It would save me a trip to the junk yard......
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

it should work. u-joints and CV are the same... 1310 style for regular TJs. Now the rubcon... that's something differant.

seriously though, thinking about my shafts, in the rear most of the tube lenght before the slip spline is at the axle yoke end. On the front shaft all the tube is between the tc and the slip spline. If you were to cut this down to length, the slip spline and boot would be down by the rear axle yoke. That's where the rocks are. this is the only problem i see.

my $.02.
        myJeeprocks.com

"in the end... the rocks always win."

Comment

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/shaft/diydriveshaft/
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

BTDT, I've even sold one just recently. They make great trail spares. I'm getting another one this week that I'll be posting up for sale. $125 cut to whatever length you need is what I'll be asking (this shaft cost me more then the last one I sold)
            I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

I picked up a front shaft off ebay and it is to be used as an emergency spare. It can be sleeved for the front or rear.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Smart . So one DC joint and 2 different length ends?

Comment

That is almost correct. I have 2 sleeves that can be welded to make it the proper length.
                  1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                  X